• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help With TC Sub!

rsh

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/4/10
When you have a dead movement, it more than likely has a spec of dust on one of the gears. I have in the past removed the 2 black screws holding the autowind mechanism. Then you will see the gears underneath that and can see if something is jammed in there. I have on occasion barely touched the seconds gear and pushed it in the counterclockwise direction when looking at it from the back of the movement. That may dislodge something. I had the exact same thing on a new eta movement. BTW the seconds hand is not rubbing something right ?

Subjeff

Mythical Poster
26/12/12
When you have a dead movement, it more than likely has a spec of dust on one of the gears. I have in the past removed the 2 black screws holding the autowind mechanism. Then you will see the gears underneath that and can see if something is jammed in there. I have on occasion barely touched the seconds gear and pushed it in the counterclockwise direction when looking at it from the back of the movement. That may dislodge something. I had the exact same thing on a new eta movement. BTW the seconds hand is not rubbing something right ?

Ill give that a try!
I have also sent TC an email trying to buy a new movement. If he does not respond within the week or so what do you think about using this movement? Its a 2824 copy, i think its similar to what TC uses. I will just switch date wheels because his has better priniting. Do you think there is any other issues?
$T2eC16JHJGsFFMtLsrjuBRpDISVVZ!~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqUOKo4FGT1mu(kDBRpDIWYYS!~~60_12.JPG

Subjeff

Mythical Poster
26/12/12
RSH, i tried your suggestion and nothing still.... I even let down the mainspring and rewound it. I has to be bound on something. I guess Ill just see what TC has to say and go from there. Thanks!:cheers:

rsh

3/4/10
That clone movement will work. you will leave the datewheel alone, you will just put your datewheel overlay on this one, see that tutorial I made recently.

Subjeff

Mythical Poster
26/12/12
That clone movement will work. you will leave the datewheel alone, you will just put your datewheel overlay on this one, see that tutorial I made recently.
I was thinking about using the entire TC date wheel on the new movement. I have never messed with an overlay and for some reason it makes me nervous:facepalm:. Im hoping the movements are the same and I can just swap parts?

Ko67

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
5/4/13
I pushed the balance wheel and nothing...It does not move the second hand at all. Any other suggestions?

Any watchmaker can tell you that many problems like this can only be diagnosed with a disassembly and service. Here are some completely random guesses about what could be wrong.

You can't really see the train wheels on that movement unless the automatic winding bridge is removed. If you are not comfortable doing that, stop and send the watch back to TC or to a watchsmith. If you are able to remove the auto bridge and can can see the wheel train, this is what i would do:

When the balance wheel moves in response to air blown on it, does it move the pallet? That is the anchor shaped deal that meets the balance. If not, you have a broken roller jewel. If the pallet moves, look to see if the escape wheel moves too. If not, you have a broken pallet jewel, a bad escape wheel tooth or an out of beat escapement position. If the escape wheel moves, use a tool to carefully put pressure on the center wheel, the big wheel in the middle, if that makes the balance and the rest of the escapement do its thing, you have a problem with spring power transmitting to the wheel train.

Either way, this movement os heading for an overhaul...

TC wont leave you hanging and you wont have to do any of these things. Feel free to ignore the above.

Subjeff

Mythical Poster
26/12/12
You can't really see the train wheels on that movement unless the automatic winding bridge is removed. If you are not comfortable doing that, stop and send the watch back to TC or to a watchsmith. If you can see the wheel train, this is what i would do.

When the balance wheel moves in response to air blown on it, does it move the pallet? That is the anchor shaped deal that meets the balance. If not, you have a broken roller jewel. If the pallet moves, look to see if the escape wheel moves too. If not, you have a broken pallet jewel, a bad escape wheel tooth or an out of beat escapement position. If the escape wheel moves, use a tool to carefully put pressure on the center wheel, the big wheel in the middle, if that makes the balance and the rest of the escapement do its thing, you have a problem with spring power transmitting to the wheel train.

Any watchmaker can tell you that many problems like this can only be diagnosed with a disassembly and service.

TC wont leave you hanging.

Thanks Ko67!!! I will disassemble it again and try your steps. I hope TC wont let me down, he has been very responsive until now but its only been a few days. :cheers:

Subjeff

Mythical Poster
26/12/12
I just got an email from TC....I just purchased a new movement from him. With any luck I should have it in a couple of weeks. Damn, that was my only submariner what shall i wear now?:thinking: :hehehe:

rsh

3/4/10
If you have experience messing with these, go for it, otherwise wait till TC to tell you what to do. He may say, mess with it, if it works great, if not I will send a new movement.....He may say, send it back.....and he may be able to get credit from his movement supplier.....if you go down the road without clearance, the movement could easily go into too many parts that make it rather unusable forever without too many replacement parts.

As for the dw, there is no real good way to remove the datewheel (AND ITS barely attached with double sided tape DWO) and reinstall it without actually losing its proper position.

Subjeff

Mythical Poster
26/12/12
If you have experience messing with these, go for it, otherwise wait till TC to tell you what to do. He may say, mess with it, if it works great, if not I will send a new movement.....He may say, send it back.....and he may be able to get credit from his movement supplier.....if you go down the road without clearance, the movement could easily go into too many parts that make it rather unusable forever without too many replacement parts.

As for the dw, there is no real good way to remove the datewheel (AND ITS barely attached with double sided tape DWO) and reinstall it without actually losing its proper position.

RSH, I just sent him $140 for a new movement. He is busy building watches i'm sure the last thing he wants is to deal with this. Also, Im not sure he will be able to direct me to do anything different than you guys already have. I have already torn the movement almost completely down and put it back together and it still does not work. I'm hoping the new movement comes with the DWO and all I have to do is install the dail and be done. If a DWO needs to be intalled its being sent to you! LOL :cheers:

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
I took the watch apart and the escape wheel was not bound on anything. Thanks for the sugestion!

Anyone else?:wyliehelp:

Hey jeff you said you took the watch apart...how far apart?
Problem is i dont know the level of your experience here, so please bear with me.

By winding it you ruled out a broken mainspring.
you said the balance was (or looked) ok, and the escape gear looked ok.

You can remove the main barrel, and the balance wheel , and the pallet fork.
This way you can manually rotate the intermediate wheel and the escape wheel should rotate, through the gear train. run it forwards and backwards.

This should give you some indication if somthing is jammed or not.

Subjeff

Mythical Poster
26/12/12
Hey jeff you said you took the watch apart...how far apart?
Problem is i dont know the level of your experience here, so please bear with me.

By winding it you ruled out a broken mainspring.
you said the balance was (or looked) ok, and the escape gear looked ok.

You can remove the main barrel, and the balance wheel , and the pallet fork.
This way you can manually rotate the intermediate wheel and the escape wheel should rotate, through the gear train. run it forwards and backwards.

This should give you some indication if somthing is jammed or not.

Yesterday was the first time I have gotten this far into a movement. I have done a couple of keyless works but thats about it for movements. I mainly just do cosmetic stuff like dial, hand, case ageing and swapping of parts etc. Now that I know I have a new movement on the way I will tear this thing all of the way down just to see if I can get it to work. Thanks for the info! I might be PMing you for some help if I have questions. Thanks! :cheers:

Subjeff

Mythical Poster
26/12/12
Well , i think im going to tear the movement all of the way down, clean it and put it back together. Its either going to be a huge step for me in my watch building or $140 mistake.

Rudy40

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/10/12
Well , i think im going to tear the movement all of the way down, clean it and put it back together. Its either going to be a huge step for me in my watch building or $140 mistake.

Good luck bro!:RWI:

Art_Vandelay

Looking Around
9/2/15
Hey everyone,

I don't want to hijack someone else's thread, but I'm kind of desperate.

I seem to be having the same problem with my sub (which has TC engraved on the movement). I can adjust the time and date, but the watch won't run. I suspect there's an issue with the mainspring, but I'm admittedly fairly new to watches (though I am learning!)

Here's the watch:

IMG_7219_zpsxngl891i.jpg

And here are some pictures of the movement:

IMG_7227_zpsogxp7rlt.jpg

IMG_7226_zpst5im0214.jpg

IMG_7224_zps6vxwbs2a.jpg

IMG_7221_zpsegqa2l1e.jpg

Everything seems okay visually (no loose gears or anything), but the balance wheel/mainspring is totally lifeless.

I've considered taking it to a watch repair, however if everything needs to be replaced, I'd rather save the money and just buy a new movement. I have no idea how much a service/repair would cost (I live in Norway BTW). Aside from this issue, the rest of watch seems to be of pretty good quality (to my eyes, anyway).

Any suggestions?