• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Are you all comfortable telling people it's a rep?

sumiter7

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/12
As far as I'm concerned,
I don't have any problem telling my friends and family that my watch is a rep. I don't even own a rep that most people call "high-end watches", like Rolex and Omega.

But say, for example, strangers and acquaintances comment on your watch. Most of them would say, "Hey! Nice watch!" Do you guys tell them straight up that you're wearing a rep?

Personally, I don't tell them that it's a rep nor do I lie about it and say it's a gen. When someone compliments the watch I'm wearing I just say "thank you". If they go on to ask "where did you get it?" then I go "online". Rarely do some people go further to ask whether it's gen or not. Then I just go "what do you think?" and laugh it off.
Should the conversation go further, then I might say that it's a rep, if the person I'm speaking to is an acquaintance of mine.

I don't buy reps to trick people into believing that I can afford X, Y, and Z watches, but for enjoyment purposes.
I don't feel obligated to tell strangers about the authenticity of my watches, but I do feel guilty, because essentially, not telling the truth and misleading someone into believing that my watch is a gen is lying.

Anyone else in the same boat as I am? Do more of you just say it's a rep? I'm curious.

Thanks!

mch2112

Renowned Member
24/3/12
California
There should be no obligation to admit that it's a rep. I avoid telling lies but if people want to believe it's a gen fine by me. The only time you should be required to disclose whether it's a rep is when you try to sell it.

n0va

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
21/4/12
I'm personally very open about wearing a rep. I don't try to pass them off as gens. Being rather successful in my line of work most people generally asume its gen anyways. But I've never hidden the fact that I'm wearing a rep if asked.
This is a hobby I, as well as most of us enjoy so why lie or try and pass it off. Wear your watch with pride.

sumiter7

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/12
There should be no obligation to admit that it's a rep. I avoid telling lies but if people want to believe it's a gen fine by me. The only time you should be required to disclose whether it's a rep is when you try to sell it.

Yeah, I would never lie about the watch when I'm selling it.. I do see a lot of eBay sellers that sell fake watches as if they're real.. It's sad..

I'm personally very open about wearing a rep. I don't try to pass them off as gens. Being rather successful in my line of work most people generally asume its gen anyways. But I've never hidden the fact that I'm wearing a rep if asked.
This is a hobby I, as well as most of us enjoy so why lie or try and pass it off. Wear your watch with pride.

Yeah, that's the thing. Most of people, regardless of how successful you are, tend not to ask if your watch is fake or not. Some people find it rude, and feel insulted when asked the question. I guess that's because the question can also be taken as "Wow it didn't look like you could have afforded such a watch".

Nevertheless, some do ask the question. It's not that I'm ashamed of wearing a rep that I won't disclose right away, but I just don't feel like it, especially to a total stranger that's sitting next to me in a restaurant.

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN

Agreed. When the subject comes up, I am very forthcoming, but usually people never say anything. Not even "nice watch." Nothing.

If the subject does ever come up, people are amazed by how good reps are!

One of the reasons why I am so upfront about it is that I am using reps to test drive which gens I want to buy. So when I explain that to people they always respond with "wow, that's a really smart idea!"

With regards to vintage reps, I view these as paying tribute to historic and unique pieces from yester year and because I am swapping out parts and doing work to them, it feels more like a hobbyist tinkering with a vintage replica of an auto. Sort of like the Shelby Cobra guys or the 1930s roadster guys.

jacobarch

16/5/12
weird no one asks me if its a rep or not. I don't think people generally care.

sumiter7

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/12

I don't normally get that far either, especially with strangers/acquaintances. Though rare, it does happen.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06

You're right about that. The only ones that care are WIS's and other watch collectors if they even notice at all but I have caught people staring at my watch :lol:

I'm so jaded at this stage I actually believe all my reps are gens. Other than price I see no difference any more... Sick!

bradj

I'm Pretty Popular
21/7/12
If asked I would never lie to my customers. I probably wouldn't volunteer up that I was wearing a rep. However if I did I'd explain the hobby and give them WBK or trevors contact info to get in on the fun.

believer123

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/10
I like the old school military way, "Don't ask, don't tell."

Personally, besides friends and family, I have never been asked; I have been complimented, but never asked.

I have no problems sharing the fact that I am wearing a REP with friends and family, so I would have no problems admitting it to a stranger, if he/she even cares or is even bold enough to ask.

sumiter7

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/12
I think the easiest way to avoid the situation is to convince(non-verbally) that my watches are gens. This way, people just don't ask questions that go too far.
They usually stop at "nice watch, where did you get it?".
Most of people(that I know, anyway) don't even know what PAM, VC, or IWC are anyways, so that works out. They just think it's just another budget watch from Amazon or TJ Maxx. :p

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
I only have high end modded reps, so if the question comes up, I take off my watch and hand it over to the person which asked.
No more questions will come...most of the time people will say, sorry, thought it was a replica.

Sent from Gurus iPad using Tapatalk

D

d4m.test

+1. Agreed. Unless someone presses me, I say nothing. Not to hide it or to deceive someone. Sometimes, just to have some fun. Or, I ask people, "Do I look like someone who could wear a 8K watch?" Of course, as I've said before here, not too many people even NOTICE my watches... .

dave

As far as I'm concerned,
I don't have any problem telling my friends and family that my watch is a rep. I don't even own a rep that most people call "high-end watches", like Rolex and Omega.

But say, for example, strangers and acquaintances comment on your watch. Most of them would say, "Hey! Nice watch!" Do you guys tell them straight up that you're wearing a rep?

Personally, I don't tell them that it's a rep nor do I lie about it and say it's a gen. When someone compliments the watch I'm wearing I just say "thank you". If they go on to ask "where did you get it?" then I go "online". Rarely do some people go further to ask whether it's gen or not. Then I just go "what do you think?" and laugh it off.
Should the conversation go further, then I might say that it's a rep, if the person I'm speaking to is an acquaintance of mine.

I don't buy reps to trick people into believing that I can afford X, Y, and Z watches, but for enjoyment purposes.
I don't feel obligated to tell strangers about the authenticity of my watches, but I do feel guilty, because essentially, not telling the truth and misleading someone into believing that my watch is a gen is lying.

Anyone else in the same boat as I am? Do more of you just say it's a rep? I'm curious.

Thanks!

set2374

I'm Pretty Popular
19/7/12
If someone compliments my watch, rep or gen, I just say thank you. No need for further comment. Whether it's rep or gen is no one's business buy yours.

If it's someone you know well and they like the watch enough to ask what it is, it's up to you whether you reveal its origin. As long as your not selling the watch to someone as gen, you have no duty to disclose that its a rep (I don't think I would unless it was close family or friend). How many bottle blonds are there with boob jobs running around. Are they obligated to tell you that they have a dye job and their boobs came from Dr. Cohen not mother nature?

With reps, there's even less of a reason to share the fact that you're wearing a rep. Unless you're telling a close friend or family about the watch, why share the fact that you are buying and using an illegal products with anyone. That's just not a great idea in general.

sumiter7

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/12
I have a couple of neighbors who are lawyers one of who specializes in copyright laws, and I guess it just one more reason not to tell her that my watches are reps. :p

Wingfeathers

24/7/10
USA
I don't mind telling my close friends. Other than that, the general public has never expressed interest in my watches. Even the B&R Tourbillon, which costs as much as a house (gen), might as well be from a vending machine to them...

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
If someone (and rarely i might add) even noticed my watch and says 'hey nice watch' I say 'thanks very much'. If they engage further then I feel them out if you will. If someone says, 'hey, is that a sub or a seadweller?' then I know we have someone who at least knows about watches a little bit. If they start to go in depth and I find out they are a WIS then I'm more open to talking about reps.

I've only ever converted one WIS to a rep WIS so far. After he'd handled my noob 243 for a good 5 minutes I told him it was a rep. He was GOBSMACKED. Was ace.

set2374

I'm Pretty Popular
19/7/12
If someone (and rarely i might add) even noticed my watch and says 'hey nice watch' I say 'thanks very much'. If they engage further then I feel them out if you will. If someone says, 'hey, is that a sub or a seadweller?' then I know we have someone who at least knows about watches a little bit. If they start to go in depth and I find out they are a WIS then I'm more open to talking about reps.

I've only ever converted one WIS to a rep WIS so far. After he'd handled my noob 243 for a good 5 minutes I told him it was a rep. He was GOBSMACKED. Was ace.

I don' think I ever got a compliment or had anyone acknowkedge my watch. I am wearing the Pam to work today for the first time for casual Friday. I put on the black python straps, so maybe there is a first time for everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D

d4m.test

I feel like I never have the opportunity to tell people my watch is a rep. Watches just never seem to come up in conversation with the people I hang out with. If I bring it up myself I try and compliment the other person's watch, but it usually ends up being a Nixon or something and I start hating myself and changing the subject. The one time I was talking to someone with a Rolex, I complimented his watch and he immediately replied "It's real." It seemed douchey, so I ended up changing the subject again. ugh.