• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Radiomir wire loops

DARKEST

5/4/06
Having bought a Pam183H from Precious Time I decided to give it new skin. Ordered a Europelli cordovan strap and took it to local watchsmith for removing the old and fitting the new. He raised his eyebrows at the strange configuration(wire loop) took the wares in the back and came back some time later with the new strap fitted. He remarked how he had found it difficult/awkward to do the strap change. At the time I did not think anything of it and walkes out of the shop. Having worn my new pride and joy only on a handful occaisons the europelli leather came away from the wire loop. The weak quality of the strap surprised me since I read much praise for the strap from other users. Nevertheless having done more research on the forum it occured to me that the wire loop on my watch must have parts missing or omitted by the watchsmith who did the change. The sum of my wire loops is a loop on either side screwed in but no middle connector. So my question is, is there meant to be a middle section that connects the 2 wire loops and if so as mine does not have would it have been the cause of my strap being damaged. Also on the strap it self do I need to have a tube insert which the loops feed into or do they feed staright onto the strap? Would be grateful for your expert advice.

wat44

Mythical Poster
20/6/09
There is no piece connecting the two wires. A strap change is very easy on a 183. He obviously didn't know wat he was doing!!!

No tube is needed. I reckon he didn't undo the screws and wrecked the strap twisting and jamming it on

DARKEST

5/4/06
Thanks for the advice but I'm confused still as I've seen images of the wire loop with what seems to be a connector in the middle. So one loop does not insert into another or even meet the other?

tranzmizzion

I'm Pretty Popular
16/2/12
I've seen like a mini tube but never on a rep. Rad strap changes Are ez, just use some loctite so it doesn't come lose.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
It's not the style that uses a springbar in the middle is it?

wat44

Mythical Poster
20/6/09
I've had 5 183's and none of them have the spring bar I the middle. The connector piece is for radionics with soldered lugs. But the 183 has removable lugs.

Radionics = radiomirs Damn you auto correct

tranzmizzion

I'm Pretty Popular
16/2/12
This is what I've seen

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-87306363192469_2223_391986584

RadioScrewSet01-500x500.jpg

DARKEST

5/4/06
Same image I saw which planted the question in my mind,what are those mini tubes in the centre for? If its a connection for the wire loops then surely it would make the whole construction more sturdy???

Are these offered aftermarket and would they fit 183s?

tranzmizzion

I'm Pretty Popular
16/2/12
Same image I saw which planted the question in my mind,what are those mini tubes in the centre for? If its a connection for the wire loops then surely it would make the whole construction more sturdy???

Panatime has them for 16 bucks as pictured...but honestly I just use loctite and settle on a strap for my radiomirs...

I don't swap straps often like I do with my luminors

DARKEST

5/4/06
Sounds like sound advice to me. I should use loctite and settle on a stayer

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09

Those "tubes" do go between the wires. The smith lost them. Buy yourself a good set of watchmakers screwdrivers and never go to that watch smith again. Oh, and buy some purple loctite! ;)

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
If You are looking for lost connection pieces, they were LEFT inside in the original strap. The watch smith did not know what to do and what to expect. When replacing straps You have to actually push out connection pieces out of the strap. The watchsmith left them there.

Use toothpick to push them out :)

Alex_P1

I'm Pretty Popular
11/5/12
Those "tubes" do go between the wires. The smith lost them. Buy yourself a good set of watchmakers screwdrivers and never go to that watch smith again. Oh, and buy some purple loctite! ;)

I did this and have never looked back (or lost another screw!).

tranzmizzion

I'm Pretty Popular
16/2/12
If You are looking for lost connection pieces, they were LEFT inside in the original strap. The watch smith did not know what to do and what to expect. When replacing straps You have to actually push out connection pieces out of the strap. The watchsmith left them there.

Use toothpick to push them out :)

You made me go back and look at my stock strap of my 380n, Nope, didn't see em. I also came across a "bic pen" trick...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/3533...+that+fiddly+little+collar-++How+about+a+fix-

3c.jpg

5c.jpg

I may try this is ever my bars come lose again, I used blue loctite. ;)

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
I'm thinking about it.....but am unsure if I need to since I loctited mine.... knowing me, I'll just do it anyway just to tinker with it.

Even loctited I think it is worth. Because, of course, you will apply Loctite again.
I think is a cheap and sure solution. If the hole of your strap accepts such a diameter of the BIC tube !

Anyway if you don't assembly correctly the wire lug ends with the tip of the screws you will have anything sure !! Even with Loctite.
IMO this was the problem of the O.P.
The watchsmith didn't assembly correctly the wire lug end with the tip of the screws, and then in some time the wire lug got loosen.

ALE

tranzmizzion

I'm Pretty Popular
16/2/12
Yeah you have to line up the indent in the bars to the screws or it doesnt sit right.

tranzmizzion

I'm Pretty Popular
16/2/12
Well, I did it. Not sure if it will make a difference, but we'll see... (told ya I can't resist tinkerin. )

DARKEST

5/4/06
Polonus is right.I've just pushed out the connection pieces from my old strap with a needle.