• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

When you just gotta say WTF.

boostin20

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/9/10
USA
I peruse the rep watch sales constantly for watches I have on my need list (you read that right; need, not want). On another forum, a bk YM with gen dial, crystal, crown, and tube was for sale for $2300. WTF. Note, it has a rep case and mov't. It's still a rep. It went up at noon, and sold a little while ago. Again, WTF. Am I missing something here? Maybe I need to spend a little more time in the "Is frankening worth it" thread, or spend some time over there to understand how on earth that could possibly be worth that kind of money. Honestly, it made me want to run full speed into a wall.

Mendel272

8/12/11
I peruse the rep watch sales constantly for watches I have on my need list (you read that right; need, not want). On another forum, a bk YM with gen dial, crystal, crown, and tube was for sale for $2300. WTF. Note, it has a rep case and mov't. It's still a rep. It went up at noon, and sold a little while ago. Again, WTF. Am I missing something here? Maybe I need to spend a little more time in the "Is frankening worth it" thread, or spend some time over there to understand how on earth that could possibly be worth that kind of money. Honestly, it made me want to run full speed into a wall.

Seriously...you can get an all-gen -- used, but then, so was the franken -- with papers and a warranty for a little more than twice that...

Duke1973

14/9/11
I agree about the price being very high but if somebody is willing to pay it.......

IMO, franken-ing and watch is fun and does make it look better and more gen but I personally would never put THAT much money into a franken project! I've done gen crown/tube, dial, insert and that was really more than I wanted to spend. The dial was an ingod dial for $125, this guy spent way more than I ever would for a dial.

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10

I think when a franken approaches a significant fraction of the cost of the gen preowned, it starts being just a waste of money, and usually ends up selling for a significant loss. Ultra high priced frankens do tend to sit for the most part, and it takes a special kind of buyer to part with that kind of money for someone else's franken project.

Build it yourself for the thrill of the chase, but if accuracy to the gen is so important that you need to spend over $1K on a replica in one shot (as opposed to the slow but relentless accumulation of gen parts), then it's time to liquidate your replica collection, stop looking at the sales forum, and start saving your pennies for a preowned gen.

BADWIN BING

30/4/10
I think when a franken approaches a significant fraction of the cost of the gen preowned, it starts being just a waste of money, and usually ends up selling for a significant loss. Ultra high priced frankens do tend to sit for the most part, and it takes a special kind of buyer to part with that kind of money for someone else's franken project.

Build it yourself for the thrill of the chase, but if accuracy to the gen is so important that you need to spend over $1K on a replica in one shot (as opposed to the slow but relentless accumulation of gen parts), then it's time to liquidate your replica collection, stop looking at the sales forum, and start saving your pennies for a preowned gen.

It's difficult to argue with that. Very well put and worded.

I'm trying hard not to agree but you're spot on!

Kal Vilmer

24/1/11
IMHO part of the fun and excitement of reps is the fact that you can get a working watch that is VERY, VERY similar to the original for a fraction of the price.

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
Its hard to believe anyone would spend that much on a rep, I mean damn thats a butt load of money for a gen dial, crystal, crown, and tube, but still have a rep case, movement, and bracelet. I just don't see or understand the valuation of this. WTF for real.:snort:

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
Do what thou Wilt shall be the whole of the Law

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
There was a car company who started to spin off copies of the Cobra. People thought they were nuts, why spend that much on a fake when you can own the gen for 5-10-15-20-60-100 more thousand? (which is a drop in the bucket to some of these guys)

To each his own, IDK, why they do it, but apparently the audience exists for frankens otherwise companies like Factory Five wouldn't exist.

http://www.factoryfive.com/

Just trying to say this isn't the first thread here on RWI or the Interwebs on the subject. We all have our limit to what we will spend. Who are you, or me, or anyone else to question what is sold and the price? I guess it's a free internet but why aren't there more threads on questioning the purchase of such a cheap replica for say, 35 or 55 dollars? Why waste your money on brass?

At the end of the day I like that we have 35 dollars spenders and 2200 dollar spenders. It makes for a diverse group. This isn't the Rolexforum, it's RWI. :) Cheers to you!

Reactions: W47chl0v3r

Wacker23

I'm Pretty Popular
22/8/09
Theres a sub going for 1500 on here its really nice but its still also a rep.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
I don't get this thread TBH.
If you don't like it, don't buy it.

It's not that over the money, a gen dial on a YM is worth a motza.
What's with all the Franken hate of late? Why knock a section of the hobby just because you personally don't "get" it? Live and let live guys. Whether you have an interest in 50 dollar Silix specials or 15,000 dollar copies of 50,000 dollar watches means little to me. As long as you (and I) are enjoying this great hobby that's what really matters isn't it?

yes, 2300 bucks will buy a nice gen but it won't buy a YM and if that's the guys grail watch and he is not in a position to afford the gen of his dreams then why not buy the best he can afford? After all, once the gen dial is in there it's virtually a gen anyway as the case is close to perfect. Add the bezel and without opening it up no one would ever know. If he does lash out and buy the bezel he will have a perfect YM at half the price of a real one and no one but him will ever know. I bet he won't care so why should you?

mbjoer

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/09
I think this is less about knocking the Dr Frankensteins of the forum, more about bringing the rep thing down to earth a bit.

It is great fun and amazing to see the super Reps and Frankens here. They all set benchmarks and improve the rep scene overall. They are also generally met with long expressions of amazement in the threads where they are shown.

And this might fuel the inflation in the rep scene.

Sometimes it is not just quality that matters. Price matters as well.
Otherwise we would only look to Gens.

giobo

6/5/10
You have a point guys ..But it still is expensive...

Price breakdown:

wm9 YM:750$
crystal:200$
dial: 600-700$
crown tube 150$
So it is a total of : 1800$..

Not even close to 2300$..If we take into account that superfrankens lose their value from time to time 2300$ is huge for this particular watch...
As i have said many times though, what is your particular budget ??
If you have that budget for a particular item go for it...Don't be a fool though..

For me a rep is always a rep..No matter what..The Pam 111 of 200$ is the same as gen like 99%...But it still a rep...Such is a superfranken like the YM you said....

Many of you will have seen the superfranken sub of 3600$ with everythin gen except the case...This is not a rep...It is a gen with rep case...

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
I think this is less about knocking the Dr Frankensteins of the forum, more about bringing the rep thing down to earth a bit.

It is great fun and amazing to see the super Reps and Frankens here. They all set benchmarks and improve the rep scene overall. They are also generally met with long expressions of amazement in the threads where they are shown.

And this might fuel the inflation in the rep scene.

Sometimes it is not just quality that matters. Price matters as well.
Otherwise we would only look to Gens.

Yeah well I ain't buying the inflation argument at all. Frakens have existed since the beginning. Frankens have nothing to do with what you get from the dealer. If the owner who frakened it added value with gen parts and service, someone will see the value in that, always.

The real inflation comes from the factory and the largest dealers who set the price. Sure, I do agree if people are willing to pay higher prices for more accurate reps from the factory, this has caused some inflation. But to be fair there are other dealers like Trevor and MR who don't agree. Case in point, Daytona 29J.. Cartel 288.00.. Trevor 140.00 and the reps are getting much better. Still they continue to make inexpensive reps, for all. I did purchase the 99 dollar Arktos from Tony. Even with it's flaws, I love the watch. I would, if available update the bezel and the dial to gen. Why? Cause I can. ;)

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
Yeah well I ain't buying the inflation argument at all. Frakens have existed since the beginning. Frankens have nothing to do with what you get from the dealer.

The real inflation comes from the factory and the largest dealers who set the price. Sure, I do agree if people are willing to pay higher prices for more accurate reps from the factory, this has caused some inflation. But to be fair there are other dealers like Trevor and MR who don't agree. Case in point, Daytona 29J.. Cartel 288.00.. Trevor 140.00 and the reps are getting much better. Still they continue to make inexpensive reps to, for all.
Stop arguing with logic, it brings the conversation down to no interpretation at all.