• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

TC sub finally arrived!

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
30/3/09
After owning it for a day, here are some cons/pros against vs a BK TW (building off your list/revising):

Cons over TW Sub
- Needs taller crystal gasket; it appears to sit lower. At first I thought it was due to the TC insert being taller. Now that the gen insert is installed, the crystal is noticeably lower than my TW w/ gen crystal.
- Bezel teeth is not as deep. It took a while for me to notice the difference at first.
- Indexes at 12, 6 and 9 has the same width surrounding as the round ones

Pros over TW Sub
+ Great Bracelet & clasp (although SEL piece is longer than it should)
+ Nice CG shape without further modifications (also covers the crown at the right position)
+ Crown Height
+ Ability to accept gen movement, dial or SA3135
+ Ability to accept gen insert without modification - snaps right in
+ Cheaper (if you're planning on adding gen parts this is more of a neutral point)
+ Superlumed dial - lume appears to be more flat. The PBdad relumed TW dial has a bit of dome shape

Neutral:
/ DWO; the DWO on the TC appears to have a nicer embossed and glossier finish. It is also aligned perfectly from what I've seen.
/ Insert quality/pearl - I can't comment on this but from pictures, the TW pearl sure looks nicer than the pearl on the TC sub. However, if you want it to be close to the gen a gen insert is needed regardless.
/ Rehaut engraving - a bit deeper (bolder) than what my gen GMT IIc has, but I'm planning to sand it down a bit and give it a light polish. I personally like the engravings :-D
/ It is water proof - I have showered with it but I don't know which has better resistance. To me both of these have gen like construction so I would say the TC would fair just as well as the TW if not better.

So far, I would say the pearl is the only glaring flaw. The mag over the DW isn't bad at all, but it does look worse against my TW with the gen crystal. So I can't comment on it vs the stock TW crystal.

Fair enough, and just so you know I am not knocking the TC Sub. I think it looks great, but I just can't justify buying one if I already own BK's TW Sub. I just like the security of BK's attention to detail, and track record for quality products.

As mentioned I did buy TC's v2 bracelet, I don't mind the SEL being too long (thanks for mentioning that) so that alone would make me a very happy camper. I do not love the bracelet on the TW Sub, and to me thats all that needed improvement.

All in all, I think you got yourself a nice piece there. I still want to feel the TC Sub out a bit and see what other members think and hopefully get some more in depth reviews. TC definitely rocked our world with this Sub, and his offerings certainly can change this game.

leeb

Known Member
28/9/10
the case lugs is definitely better than TW case. the TW case lugs are too thick hence the poor sel fit. the shape of the TC case lugs looks very spot on

I am Sam

Renowned Member
9/10/09
Fixen is right, as per my friend only V-Series from TC has 1.8mm Crystal (like gen) with 2.5mm gasket, this explains why magnification is better and bigger.

WF, can you post a horizontal shots with your gen insert to see the crystal height?

watchfaker

26/12/10
Fixen is right, as per my friend only V-Series from TC has 1.8mm Crystal (like gen) with 2.5mm gasket, this explains why magnification is better and bigger.

WF, can you post a horizontal shots with your gen insert to see the crystal height?

Here's a couple of pictures. I feel that the mag is too high. It looks higher than what my franken TW sub and gen GMT IIc has. The date also appears to be darker, perhaps the cyclops doesn't focus light or as clear as the gen crystal on my TW or the crystal on my GMT IIc.

K1t1d.jpg

sCI5A.jpg

I am Sam

Renowned Member
9/10/09
It seems as if bezel ring's base is slightly fat. I am guessing it was same crystal height with TC's insert, right? Definitely needs a gen bezel ring for better understanding. Thanks for posting the pics!

watchfaker

26/12/10
It seems as if bezel ring's base is slightly fat. I am guessing it was same crystal height with TC's insert, right? Definitely needs a gen bezel ring for better understanding. Thanks for posting the pics!
The TC insert sits a bit higher than the gen. With the gen insert, the height of the crystal that peeks out is correct.

I'm guessing you're saying the bezel ring is too thick? I think the thickness is correct for being a V series. The pictures you showed is from a F series. Although the thickness is correct for the TC sub and v series, the teeth on the bezel is not deep enough. It has teeth found on older subs like the F series you posted.

giobo

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/5/10
This watch is ok now..The insert was the only improvement..Maybe some customs SELS..Until now it is really great!!!!

correctime

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/5/11
A comparison of the TC v4 and the BK TW. ....that's very cool. Thanks for sharing.
I'm looking forward to seeing more comparison and many more v4 reviews from the proud new owners.
As for the crystal....well...I've never kept a rep crystal on for long if it'll take a gen.
Some may disagree but to me the watch just looks and "feels" right with a gen.
Power of suggestion.....??...perhaps but when you drop in a gen you'll "feel" what I'm talking about. CONGRATS again Brother....and again thanks for sharing.

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
30/3/09
The link is coming up as a dome crystal I don't get what that has to do with TC

giobo

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/5/10
This site has been combined with TC in other forums..They say the case is the same.
Anyway TC is by his own guys don't you see..He can hardly find something out for forum orders...
I think he must have a dealers section and follow the correct path to continue selling..

Back door dealer??

The watch is great but this is not correct for the forum...
TB will do something i am sure...

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
30/3/09
Thought he is in talks with trailboss? Yes it would definitely help

bklm1234

Known Member
Trusted Dealer
5/10/09
awesome to hear gen insert fit without modding anything
@watchfaker: just to double make sure. Both gen and rep inserts fit in, not floating, i.e. bezel lip is higher than or at least even/flush with the insert right?

bk

watchfaker

26/12/10
awesome to hear gen insert fit without modding anything
@watchfaker: just to double make sure. Both gen and rep inserts fit in, not floating, i.e. bezel lip is higher than or at least even/flush with the insert right?

bk
Both gen and the TC insert snaps in. They do not float or slide around once snapped in. The bezel lip sits slightly above the insert.

Fidhle007

13/8/11
For some of us, crown height is a big deal, I just spent the better part of $2k (or more, I don't want to think about it really) trying to get something as consistent as BK's TW with proper crown height. My solution? Lots and lots of gen parts...

correctime

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/5/11
For some of us, crown height is a big deal, I just spent the better part of $2k (or more, I don't want to think about it really) trying to get something as consistent as BK's TW with proper crown height. My solution? Lots and lots of gen parts...
Nice : which gen parts were you able to acheive proper crown height on the TW with ?