• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ETA 2678 TC Submariner

rsh

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/4/10
CT
how often does someone really need a new case ?? Would a gen owner really want a rep case for their gen movement etc??

Dimar

Known Member
10/12/11
Rsh is right. We are a group of elitist ourselves ( in a strange sub culture of "who has the best....."). Why do we spend $1000 on a franken? Because we love the art of the project. None of us even really care about fooling anyone ( a 55$ timeshop will do that ).
We enjoy the fabrication, the uniqueness of a one off piece created with our own hands, the excitement of the completing a bond sub that took us a year. TC has opened a door on something we all talk about to death, how do we get to china and find all the little gems? I am also waiting patiently for my TC sub. He has been responsive, but busy. He has even forgotten who i am a few times! But I am so excited to finally see something different than a modded noob case or a wm9 v2 that makes me question my sanity. This is actually a true turning point! The re-birth of the 16610 rep.

Either way this small fraction of the rep world will be willing to Wait and shell out 500-1000 for one of these. I don't see an average joe searching out a fake case to replace their 5k watch case. He would just go to a watchmaker that deals with rolex parts and have him do it. As a side note an AD won't work on your Rollie if it has after market parts.

arcadia

11/8/11
Either way this small fraction of the rep world will be willing to Wait and shell out 500-1000 for one of these. I don't see an average joe searching out a fake case to replace their 5k watch case. He would just go to a watchmaker that deals with rolex parts and have him do it. As a side note an AD won't work on your Rollie if it has after market parts.

This is bigger than you think.

Dimar

Known Member
10/12/11
Arcadia, I do not disgree that there is a market. But how do you advertise to that market? The case would have to be sterile. Which his isn't. The case would have to probably be made in another place then china (because of the stigma). Which it isn't.

In my humble opinion, I feel that what he is doing is the right move. Start small, try and stay under the radar, and enjoy making a few bucks on a side gig. The masses just won't get it. When I talk to close freinds and family, knowing that I have the means to purchase a gen, they baulk that I would have a rep on my arm. To me it is an art to create a piece of the highest quality with my own hands, not to purchase something that is a status symbol. All good opinions here, that is why I cherish this forum!

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Hum, I'm really not sure about that.

It is common knowledge that most watches sold even by our trusted dealers are in the lowest price range.

For every $400 AP or Hublot sold my MR or Tony, dealers like timeshops or watcheden will sell at least half a dozen $100 subs, if not more.

The pics and reviews and writies posted on the forum give us the false impression that everyone is buying expensive reps, but I'm really not sure it's typical of the average forum rep buyer.

giobo

6/5/10
Thats right...How many TC will be sold in one year do you think??300 the most
But noob subs???

rsh

3/4/10
How else can timeshops make money on $125 asian eta sub? How can he make money on a $55 sub......he makes money on each but volume is key

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
How else can timeshops make money on $125 asian eta sub? How can he make money on a $55 sub......he makes money on each but volume is key
Don't worry about them, their margin in % is more than decent even on these low prices watches. :)

correctime

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/5/11
I have to agree...it's my opinion that it is "much" bigger. If a perfect 1:1 16610 case can be machined (and with todays technology, it most certainly can be) then it can be done sterile (to avoid copywrite infringement) and it can also be engraved to match whatever gen case it's replacing. Dimar is right, not only will RSC reject doing service to a piece with rep or aftermarket parts, you run the risk of losing it (or at least having to deal with alot of grief to get it back).
But there are dozen of very good watchmakers/watchsmiths besides the RSC's.
Just as good, in my opinion and cost alot less for a service too.
How many gen owners would actually need or want to replace their case......?? Judging by the interest in the topic of "welding" and refinishing, the numbers may surprise you. We do our thing out of passion and the love of being creative....true it's the thrill of the search.....the wait....the acquisition that makes this hobby enjoyable...it's the journey, not the destination. And I agree...it's not about "fooling anyone". But I'd say someone with the skills/talent (and finances) could have a great deal of fun making a good bit of money turning these out on a small scale. How to publically market it to the gen owners without raising eyebrows...good question........ but if there's a will, there's a way.....and in my opinion, it's already being done and has been for quite some time...we just don't read about it in the Head Lines.

CT
how often does someone really need a new case ?? Would a gen owner really want a rep case for their gen movement etc??
Well, here in the rep world we mod and shave and lume and machine and add gen parts and everything that can be done to achieve a "perfect" 16610. It's very enjoyable and can sometimes get fairly expensive yet we do it because we want it perfect and because we can.
IF a "perfect" replication was born...one that needed nothing...NOTHING at all..well..what else would there be but to wear it with pride and enjoy it.
You would be surprised how many gen owners are willing to cut corners (and do) when it comes to repairs and service to their luxury timepiece.
Perhaps to save time by not sending to RSC...perhaps to save money as their family household income isn't what it once was...regarsless of the reasons, they do it...alot more then you may think..because even if it has an aftermarket part or 2 or 3 (or even a brand new exact to spec case) to them...it's still a genuine Rollie.

IF it was excact to gen...and I mean exact in every way...completely undetectable and impossible to tell the difference and at a fraction of the cost...yes, I'd say many gen owners would go that route. Would you ??

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
30/3/09
IF it was excact to gen...and I mean exact in every way...completely undetectable and impossible to tell the difference and at a fraction of the cost...yes, I'd say many gen owners would go that route. Would you ??

I don't think I would. In all honesty heaven forbid something happened to my case I would stay gen for the repairs. I would not necessarily go the RSC in manhattan to fix it but I would use gen parts.

I have already had my dial/hands replaced but luckily it was under warranty so RSC took care of it for me with gen parts.

arcadia

11/8/11
Arcadia, I do not disgree that there is a market. But how do you advertise to that market?

All good opinions here, that is why I cherish this forum!

Think beyond the forums and sites. I wish I could tell more but we don't need to turn this into a mayhem like what's happening now in the other forums. ;)

correctime

Banned
28/5/11
Think beyond the forums and sites. I wish I could tell more but we don't need to turn this into a mayhem like what's happening now in the other forums. ;)
Exactly !!!

And I'd have to say blogging this seemingly gen acurrate case would be a good way to spread the news outside the bounderies of the forums.
As would youTube.

ajs914

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/07
BUT..with CAD files and CNC machining, water=jet cutting, etc., a true 1:1 16610 case set could target far more potential customers "outside" the world of Reps.

I've been wondering why such a case doesn't already exist. How much would it cost to tool up and make such a case.

Who makes Phong's cases that retail for around $1500?

Or, is the tooling so expensive that you need to sell too many in order to amortize the cost?

correctime

Banned
28/5/11
I've been wondering why such a case doesn't already exist. How much would it cost to tool up and make such a case.

Who makes Phong's cases that retail for around $1500?

Or, is the tooling so expensive that you need to sell too many in order to amortize the cost?
Such a case does exist...we just don't see them in the rep world....yet anyway.

Dimar

Known Member
10/12/11
I have to agree with CT. The issue is the fabrication cost. I have seen some 16610 homage projects that are really close. The cad work, the use of 914l steal, the finish work done by hand, etc. At the same time when I have spoken to watchmakers about their clients request that the case and movement are seen as the most important part of the watch to be from the original manufacturer in general. We are a special sub culture.

rsh

3/4/10
Well fellas, TC has told me that the v series case with his newer (v2) strap is assembled and coming to me in the mail tomorrow......

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
30/3/09
How the heck does anyone else get in contact with him?

FschJg

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/2/12
Same question here, how to contact, how to order and price?

rsh

3/4/10
TC has contacted Trailboss and when the time is right, he will probably have more of these available to members.