• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

When many people know, then its not a secret anymore...

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Well fasten your seatbelts ladies and gentlemen, cause today i have one of those stories...

Our hobby is getting popular and i mean very popular you should have noticed that there are a lot of reps out there and not the street ones but the high end ones...

Let me tell you what happened today. Well i am with a friend of mine (who by the way i have addicted to watches and finally ordered for him a high end rep) and we are drinking a coffee when i received a phone call from another friend (girl) asking where i was as to come by with her other girlfriend and her new boyfriend to meet him... So i told her where we were and after a few minutes here they are...

They sat down and she introduced us to her boyfriend. As he gave me his hand to shake there it was, an omega planet ocean... Now was that gen or rep??? As we were talking i was looking to his wrist to spot flaws, but i was careful no to see me that i was checking it... At the first weird angle i noticed the blue tint of death, eh excuse me that is for the windows :p, and at the second chance i checked the pearl... Ok that was a rep, couldn't say if it was an a21j or clone but i didn't care very much for that...

After a few minutes we had the incident!!! He checked the time, so it was my chance to drop the bate, and so i did!

Me: Nice watch dude, what is it?
He: Thats an omega, it was a little expensive but totally worth it...

Oh no, he didnt... Did i ask about the value? No i didn't, you show off!!! I hate those guys... I didn't want to say something to embarrasse him in front of my friend and his girlfriend but i did want to see how he was going to continue...

Me: Yes it looks very classy, i don't want to be rude or something, but how much it was?
He: (He takes that position, with that deep fake voice) Well that was around 2800 euros but i paid cash and bought it around 2200...
The only thing i was thinking at the momenet was how i could make him go down but i was also really sorry for him as i never did try to pass of my reps as gens when i was asked...
Me: Well that's a lot of money, but great choice!!!

Now the good part is coming hehe, the girls went to the bathroom(really what is the matter with you??? Why do you go there with your friends???????lol) so i took the chance...

Me: Dude you know, it's not nice to try to pass your rep for a gen, you don't look that good when you do that...
He: What do you mean my friend? This is a gen omega!!! I bought it few months from an AD...
Me: No you didn't that is a rep and you know it...
He: Well that is a GEN my friend and i paid a lot of money for it, i cant understand why you insist that my watch is a rep...?

Okey i was very patience and polite, here comes the pain... hehehe

He: Well MY FRIEND this a rep and i know it cause i have the gen one!!! And showed my franken!!! ( no that's a lie i was wearing my Hublot Evo today, damn that would have been a nice one hehe)

He froze for a second, he turned into red and afterwards he said:
I dont know if you have also the gen or why you are trying to insult me but this is a gen omega...

The conversation stopped at that point as the girls came back and i didn't really wanted to continue that show...

Well the world is small and when many people know the secret, then it isn't a secret anymore...

ElVino

Renowned Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
1/7/11
Good choice of you to call him out on it away from the ladies. My hat goes off to you for your thoughtfulness :)

thedoover

Snow Monkey Ambassador
Supporter
Certified
15/6/10
Im not sure how Id handle a similar situation, since just about every guy I know either doesnt wear a watch or wears a g-shock or something.

However, if someone wanted to talk watches with me, I would just come out and tell em its a rep, just like most of us here.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Im not sure how Id handle a similar situation, since just about every guy I know either doesnt wear a watch or wears a g-shock or something.

However, if someone wanted to talk watches with me, I would just come out and tell em its a rep, just like most of us here.

Well that is what i was hoping he was going to do, and afterwars we could talk about our watches but he went the otherway...

He even can be readin this one at the moment...!:watching:

skidrow

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/12/10
Yah me too

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
This is a touchy subject, but imho I call him out (as you did) for trying to pass it off.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I would play the helpful part. Tell him that he needs to take it back to the "AD".

And if he used terms like, AD, rep, gen, ...........he has been here! :lol:

boostin20

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/9/10
USA
Yeah, I've never heard a guy who knows nothing about the rep scene call a watch "gen". Most of them like to use the word "real" instead.

shandroid

13/9/10
I would play the helpful part. Tell him that he needs to take it back to the "AD".

And if he used terms like, AD, rep, gen, ...........he has been here! :lol:

Me too...

I see no sense (personally) in making a fool of someone blatantly, especially upon first meeting. If they know, then a simple comment in passing about how you had no idea they changed to blue AR on the PO - then ask for a look at the watch 'because i've always loved the PO'

A comment like that with a light touch on another flaw (take your pick) while you're holding the watch usually has them so uncomfortable they don't know what to say or where to look!

In the back of my mind is always the possibility of someone being sold a rep as gen - although unlikely, imagine if it were the case!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Well that is what i was thinking to do before he mentioned the i paid a lot for this... Afterthat he was going down not in a polite way...

To be precise he used the words omega store and genuine watch... If he had told me, i bought it online i may have thought he got scamed.

Sent from my Desire HD

shandroid

13/9/10
Yeh... Oh well - good story nonetheless!!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

giobo

6/5/10
I don't believe he was scammed...He just wanted to impress his girlfriend...I am pretty sure about it..Nice story P..Wish you were wearing your PO...lol

I wouldn't like to be called out..i have a friend who used to wear a rep sub, we are talking about crapmariner, i never have called him out.Didn't really want to embarass him..If he knows the least about watches he knew,since i have a BK's one, that i knew and that was all.
The problem was that my girfriend have seen his watch and came on to tell me,hey, your friend's rolex is fake...Funny story also..

100% people who comment about my watches have never asked me if it is true or not..Just some advice and general questions..Of course i doubt a gen owner can tell my watches from fake...Have chosen and modded them carefully...
I don't like to tell other i wear fakes but don't show off either..

Bomba

I'm Pretty Popular
20/4/08
FWIW, I've seen more high quality reps in Athens than anywhere else in Europe. I'm in Athens 6-8 times per year on business.

So this doesn't surprise me.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
That was YOU, Paparas??
Dude - how am I gonna get laid if that chick doesn't think I'm rich??

giobo

6/5/10
FWIW, I've seen more high quality reps in Athens than anywhere else in Europe. I'm in Athens 6-8 times per year on business.

So this doesn't surprise me.

Paparas is not in Athens... I am ...
I see everyday all kind of watches..From high end gen to battery subs...

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
That was YOU, Paparas??
Dude - how am I gonna get laid if that chick doesn't think I'm rich??

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Paparas is not in Athens... I am ...
I see everyday all kind of watches..From high end gen to battery subs...

Yeah, that is true... I am out of Athens and i have seen quite a lot of them so i can imagine its more common there.

Omega88

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/11
You see, it importNt to get a super or very real rep. You wouldn't want to be call out.. If you want to do a fake job. Make sure you get a jolly real damm good one.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
In before wat :)

The secret phrase is: "That's a nice watch. I'm thinking of getting one just like it."
The counter sign is: "From the forums?"