• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Anyone bought the Silix SOSF 21J?

DDPan

Known Member
2/10/10
Hi all,

I am about to pull the trigger on a Breitling Superocean Steelfish sold by Silix.

http://silix-prime.com/bres042-p-1758.html

bres042.JPG

bres042_01.JPG

bres042_06.JPG

Price is 138$.

Anyone who has already bought one? Any opinions to share?

Thanks for sharing!

arcadia

Put Some Respect On My Name
11/8/11
I just had a look at one of them at the rep dealer here and it is actually pretty nice for its price. But comparing it to my old fish, the dial is not as crisp as the past production batches. This is pretty evident with the white dial. Try to still get the one with black dial as it hides better, 'tho you really cant tell without staring.

The lume is a bit greener too that does not translate into photos. This is also one of the reasons why a black dial is preferred as it hides this as compared to the white dial where it is pretty much visible. For the blue dial, this is worse as the green lume clashes with blue background.

On the other hand, I went to the authorized dealer and saw a gen steelfish with an aging patina on the lume (correct my term if wrong, thanks). Kinda yellow / greenish. I asked them why this is so and she told me that that particular watch is one of their oldest stock where the lume used to be white that turned into its current color. Knowing that the steelfish with a box second hand is long discontinued, this maybe a good thing for the reps with greenish lume.

I hope this helps.;)

narcoden

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/7/11
Don't! They do not have that version in stock.

They had my money for over a month before finding me this:
bre.jpg

It's a horrible rep of a SOSF.

to their credit, they did kindly refund my money but know what your ordering before sending money. Ask for a QC pic before placing an order so your money doesn't get tied up for a long time and then you find out they can't get the watch you want.

Cheers!

arcadia

11/8/11
Thanks for ramming it up narcoden. I couldn't do it. That's why I said "actually pretty nice for its price" which is $138 only. It's still good for that price.

But, okay I'll be blunt this time, it does not hold a candle to the old SOSF...

Thanks much.

narcoden

8/7/11
Yeah, that second hand and crown would slap me in the face every time I looked down at it. :)

DDPan

Known Member
2/10/10
:) Thanks guys!

So if I get them to send me the correct watch, it's a good deal right?

narcoden

8/7/11
If you can get them to get the correct watch, myself and about 100 other people would be all over that! After over a month of hunting, I'm convinced there are no more good versions left. I do think Silix had one of the good ones left with blue face, check with michelle though if she still has it. I wanted either black or white. Good luck in your search. Let us know how it goes.

DDPan

Known Member
2/10/10
I will. I've already sent them a PM this afternoon.
On the website it states that there are 4 left, but that doesn't say anything off course.

Thanks for warning me mate!

Comc

Renowned Member
18/5/11
I checked last week and the black one was definitely out if stock at Silix.
Keep us updated with your search as I would be interested in buying one of these also.
I am just annoyed that I missed the two black sosf that were sold on the second hand section on here last week ....boo hoo.

narcoden

8/7/11
Can't see your pic. When did you get one from mary? She was also out of stock when I asked a week or two ago.

arcadia

11/8/11
Yeah, did you see that SOSF with a GEN dial for sale? Amazing!

Same spec as mine. My rep dial was properly relumed, Swiss ETA, sealed, and no stamping at the back clasp. But his was a GEN dial! Can't beat that. Lucky buyer. ;)

I checked last week and the black one was definitely out if stock at Silix.
Keep us updated with your search as I would be interested in buying one of these also.
I am just annoyed that I missed the two black sosf that were sold on the second hand section on here last week ....boo hoo.

DDPan

Known Member
2/10/10
Silix PM'd me with bad news: Out of stock :cry:

I'll let you know if I find an alternative (like the one below for example!).

Got this one from Watch International (mary).

mail

Hi cvp3, at what price did you get it?
The pic is not working, would it be possible to upload another one please?

How is it to do business with Watch International? They are no trusted dealers here, aren't they?

DDPan

Known Member
2/10/10
I've just sent an email to Mary asking her if she has any blakc dialled SOSF in stock. I've included the pic from Silix :lol:

Mary is currently out of the office until Sep 5.
I'll keep you posted.

cvp3

Renowned Member
11/8/11
Silix PM'd me with bad news: Out of stock :cry:

I'll let you know if I find an alternative (like the one below for example!).

Hi cvp3, at what price did you get it?
The pic is not working, would it be possible to upload another one please?

How is it to do business with Watch International? They are no trusted dealers here, aren't they?

I'll try an get the pic loaded properly. Price was $200 shipped EMS with asian ETA movment. White face with brown croc strap, really nicely done. Mary/Watch International is trusted on RWG, but not here from some reason. Super easy to deal with and the quickest of the 4 suppliers I've use.

Send a picture of what you want to:
?
[email protected]

Explain what pictures can't like movement, finish, etc. Mary usually gets back to me within 24 hours to negotiate price, confirm shipping method, etc. Another 24 hours to get a QC pic provided it's one of the more readily available ones. She catches more stuff in the QC pics than I ever would and usually calls it out. Then you mutually decide to have her go fix (little issues) or source another one. Watches arrived to CONUS w/i 8 to 10 days. By far the quickest shipper I've found.

scaled.php

scaled.php

DDPan

Known Member
2/10/10
cvp3: Thanks for sharing!

Do you see your watch on their site? As far as I can see, pricing goes from 114 directly to 252 $, and EMS shipping would be 30$.
So which watch did you get for which price? :)

edit: And how is the weight?

cvp3

Renowned Member
11/8/11
cvp3: Thanks for sharing!

Do you see your watch on their site? As far as I can see, pricing goes from 114 directly to 252 $, and EMS shipping would be 30$.
So which watch did you get for which price? :)

edit: And how is the weight?

Their site has most but not all of their watches. Del from RWG did a great write up that is now in the black hole of their archives since the site crash. I referenced the watch in my order to Mary. The watch price started at $225 and I negotiated down, but definitely easier to do when you're buying 6 watches at once. The movement is Automatic ETA 2836-2. It's fairly high beat and I have a hard time picking it out from a full sweep. The weight is excellent. It's not a very large watch, 44mm bezel to bezel, 48mm including the crown. I don't have the fancy digital scale so can't say the weight for certain, but definitely heavy for it's size.

I went with the croc band, again after seeing del's. It just looks right with a white dial to me and frankly I hate steel bands.

DDPan

Known Member
2/10/10
Got a reply from Mary:
Only the white dial is in stock, and also the blue H-factory.

And she also told me that she would like to become a trusted dealer :)

I've sent Col a PM and have asked Mary to let me know when the black SOSF come in again.:-(

Last update:

I think it need about 1~2 months. Last time the factory told me they were making the case.

regards
Mary