• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Yahoo watch article...

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Decent, accessible list for the most part. The Braun is intriguing.

The gold ROO is maybe a stretch. They could have chosen a less expansive Panerai.

Let's check back in 25 years and see how enduring the Panerai brand is.

Just my $0.02 USD as always.

Bronzy

I'm Pretty Popular
4/12/09
Decent, accessible list for the most part. The Braun is intriguing.

The gold ROO is maybe a stretch. They could have chosen a less expansive Panerai.

Let's check back in 25 years and see how enduring the Panerai brand is.

Just my $0.02 USD as always.

Agreed about picking a less expensive Panerai. I guess the Braun just doesn't interest me... he didn't really explain why it will increase in value over time, but then again, who really would know... :)

Bomba

I'm Pretty Popular
20/4/08
Solid list.

Hamilton is an under-appreciated brand, but that's 100% Hamilton's fault. Better marketing would help them, and preventing the discounting you see on their watches would really step them up. They could learn a little more from Tag, which is where I see that brand.... Not quite up there with the uber-elites, but a semi-luxury watch nonetheless (like Tag).

Re: Panerai.... IHMO, they will be around in 50 years. There are too many people with Italian luxury item-itis to ever let that brand slide. For instance, every Ferrari owner I know either wants a Panerai or has one. Panerai production numbers make them instant classics, in my mind.

The only brand that should have been on that list is Hublot. Perhaps replacing the JL Reverso.

Thanks for sharing Bronzy!

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
No Swatch?
No Seiko?
No Daytona?
No Breitling?

And Panerai as a classic watch?

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
Some good choices. But no Patek Philippe?

Also, my god I had no idea that Panerai cost so much.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Interesting list. Looks more like they went to the website of a fine watchsellers and picked the first 10 that they liked then did a bit of research on them.

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
What the heck is a "Speedmaster Tachymetre"? Great that they included the Zenith in there, but not really a mainstream choice.

I recently put together a similar selection for a local men's magazine. Unsurprisingly, advertising concerns weighed heavily on my choices, so out went the Breguet XX and El Primero, and in came a Harry Winston and a Louis Vuitton!

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
No Swatch?
No Seiko?
No Daytona?
No Breitling?

And Panerai as a classic watch?

Yep, Braun but not Seiko?

Timex is a classic brand. Just not classy enough to make such a list apprently.

And I agree that Panerai, as much as I like their watches, has yet to achieve classic status. I honestly think that it is a hyped up brand that may well endure but will be hard pressed to be in the rarified air of Breguet, for example. We'll see.

Bomba

I'm Pretty Popular
20/4/08
Guys.... I'm betting they included the watches that advertise with them.....

Just sayin'.... That's usually how it works....

And I totally agree with missing Brietling and Patek.

Omega88

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/11

And I agree that Panerai, as much as I like their watches, has yet to achieve classic status. I honestly think that it is a hyped up brand that may well endure but will be hard pressed to be in the rarified air of Breguet, for example. We'll see.

Despite I don't like Panerai watch. I will say Panerai deserve to be in the list. The distinctive Panerai big case shape and crown guard earn Panerai its place in prestige watch place.

Just like people talk about diver watch. People will talk about Rolex Sub.

Panerai definitely will last.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09

I get Jaeger or Breguet, but why Patek?

Or if you include patek philippe in this, why not Vacheron Constantin, or Ulysse nardin, or even Piaget?

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
It's insanity that the Submariner is not #1. It is a staple amongst any male who knows anything about watches. It is everything in one. Dress, casual, diver , etc....

There should be a Breitling on there as well. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it doesn't belong. I don't like that Tag, but understand why it's there.

avenger007

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
21/2/09
It's insanity that the Submariner is not #1. It is a staple amongst any male who knows anything about watches. It is everything in one. Dress, casual, diver , etc....

There should be a Breitling on there as well. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it doesn't belong. I don't like that Tag, but understand why it's there.

I think they just ordered them by price, lowest to highest.

I would have chosen the Moonie over the Tachymeter, though. That's a no brainer.

I'm a big fan of Hamilton, but they can't seem to get a handle on who they are in their sport lines. Classic Khaki to really modern looking divers and chronos. I would like to see them reinterpret some of their classic designs a la Longines with their Legend Diver.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
I'm a big fan of Hamilton, but they can't seem to get a handle on who they are in their sport lines. Classic Khaki to really modern looking divers and chronos. I would like to see them reinterpret some of their classic designs a la Longines with their Legend Diver.

The Khaki line is a mess, IMO. Some Hamilton purists have big problems with it.

I agree, their brand could use more focus.

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11

I just don't get the Braun thing...

If you consider the Radiomir was introduced in 1936 then I'm not sure anything that's nearly 78 years old can't be considered "enduring" or "classic". I would also consider Panerai to be, by design, more akin to the Submariner in that it's a very versatile "tool" watch.

100% agree.

As tommy mentioned with Breguet, Patek enjoys a "rarified" status given it's price point.

And, yeah, horrible example for the Panerai.

Bronzy

I'm Pretty Popular
4/12/09
I agree with most of the comments, I think it's funny the article called the guy making the list a 'watch forum uber nerd'... if he really is he'd be a member on this site ;)