• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What should i do?

lourentgarnier

Renowned Member
4/4/10
Now that my collection is a bit richer, i have the issue that often when i want to wear one of my watches it's dead. So i have to fix the time and charge it but......what about the 7750 movement that not always can be charged? Imagine that it stopped between 10PM and 2AM (and sometimes it's even not easy to understand if it's 10PM or AM).....in this case should i just shake it and wait till the next day to wear it?
I was also wondering if pulling the crown before leaving unworn a watch for some days could be ok, but this might damage the power reserve spring?
Opinions? What do you do in this cases?

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
You could buy a watch winder for the watches you wear the most so they are always charged.

The only problem with the 7750 is changing the date during those hours, I don't think there are any problems with winding and then setting the time in order to wear it. Just don't change the date.

I don't think it's a good idea to leave it 'hacked' (with the crown pulled out). I imagine it would put a strain on the components and also leave it open for dust and things to get inside which is also bad.

Sounds like you need a watch winder mate.

Omega88

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/11
If you want to get cOrrect date. Set the time out of 10 and 2. Then set the date and finally set the time. 7750 is a bit troublesome but it's an awesome movt.

slimslim

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/10
some of the modded 7750 are recommended to be kept hacked and not on a winder. i have read here. i might look a bit deeper before i put a 7750 on a winder. if it were me. as to the long term of it, i don't know. wear it for a few days at a time?

pilworx

alien member
8/2/09
when i first started this i got a sweet 4 watch winder/storage box and tried to keep all my watches wound all the time but i eventually got into a routine where i would just wear one watch for 1 or 2 weeks and just keep that one on the winder and wound. after a couple of weeks i'd switch to another watch it was like i got a whole brand new watch all over again, very entertaining. still doing this today and with my current collection it's about 3-4 months before i cycle back around and it's puppy love all over again.

Aza

Renowned Member
26/12/10
There is another problem though....even using a watch winder, you will still need to change the time if you haven't worn the watch for a while?

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Of course, due to how accurate the watch is you might still have to set it once a week or so, or just when you pick it up to wear it.

waddster

I'm Pretty Popular
10/8/10
Wear two watches at the same time like the 80's style with swatches. It's coming back and I'm going to be ahead of the trend when it does. Haha!

boostin20

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/9/10
USA
There is another problem though....even using a watch winder, you will still need to change the time if you haven't worn the watch for a while?

Of course, due to how accurate the watch is you might still have to set it once a week or so, or just when you pick it up to wear it.

It all depends on how innacurate vs the length of time, etc. I always figured if the winder wasn't set right at a high enough rate, the watch would stop. That being said, I put my gen PO in the winder for a week at 750 tpd in both directions. I looked at it every morning, afternoon, and night. It never stopped. In that week though, it lost a day. I was pissed, and though it needed a regulating, but decided on an experiment instead. I upped the tpd's, and left it on the winder this past week. It's operating with the same accuracy as when I wear it for a week straight.

Take it for what it's worth, but I think as the mainspring loses a lot of tension, the inaccuracy increases greatly.

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
I hack all my watches when I'm not wearing them. The next time I put it on, I advance the time until the date changes, then to 6:00 am. Next, advance to the proper date, then advance to proper time. Easy peazy and no strain on the winding gears.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Yeah, but surely the chance of dust and particles getting into the mechanism whilst it's hacked and also strain on the barrel spring??

airking

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
26/5/09
i used to use a winder but decided to just wind the watch manually when i need to use it. using the watch and having it on the winder both add wear to the movement and thus would require a more routine service than a watch you wind and use for a day or two per week i think. plus, leaving the watch on a winder might lead to more inaccuracy than wearing it as the watch stays in the practically the same position for an extended period of time. at least when wearing it it seems like the various positions during the day have a tendency to cancel each other more so.

its a bit more hassle when you're in a rush to go through this and i've found myself annoyed some times but that happens rarely to me.

lourentgarnier

Renowned Member
4/4/10

If i get a windbox, as habit i would regulate time for all watches together....let's say once a week at the same time.

Tmax

Known Member
19/7/10
It all depends on how innacurate vs the length of time, etc. I always figured if the winder wasn't set right at a high enough rate, the watch would stop. That being said, I put my gen PO in the winder for a week at 750 tpd in both directions. I looked at it every morning, afternoon, and night. It never stopped. In that week though, it lost a day. I was pissed, and though it needed a regulating, but decided on an experiment instead. I upped the tpd's, and left it on the winder this past week. It's operating with the same accuracy as when I wear it for a week straight.

Take it for what it's worth, but I think as the mainspring loses a lot of tension, the inaccuracy increases greatly.

Maybe???...
This is probably due to eventually the mainspring finally stopping then the winder would wind it a bit & it would start again - so the tpd was not sufficient to keep it wound for a week or so. SO when you up'ed the temp it was????

Rather than the accuracy varying - the mainspring is either supplying enough power to run the escapement or it's not.

boostin20

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/9/10
USA
Maybe???...
This is probably due to eventually the mainspring finally stopping then the winder would wind it a bit & it would start again - so the tpd was not sufficient to keep it wound for a week or so. SO when you up'ed the temp it was????

Rather than the accuracy varying - the mainspring is either supplying enough power to run the escapement or it's not.

I'm stumped on that issue since I would think if the tpd's weren't high enough, the watch wouldn't be able to start again after it stopped. I just don't understand the reasoning behind what happened at all.