• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The 'spotted' thread!!!!

mazz68

Known Member
4/1/11
MAKE AND MODEL OF WATCH? PAM GMT

WHERE WERE YOU? At work

REP/GEN? Definitley gen as the guy was an ambassador

DID YOU CHAT TO THE OWNER? IF SO, COMMENTS? Just said nice watch Sir,
WATCH YOU WERE YOU WEARING? Rolex Submariner LV Gen

AHX

Renowned Member
3/12/10
Make and model of watch?
Rolex Day Date SS

Where were you?
On the bus heading home from my new work in a very posh neighbourhood.

Rep/Gen?
I would say gen, it was a middle aged dude and considering the neighbourhood most people would be able to afford Rolexes. Just on my work's street in one day I saw two Audi R8's, a Porsche 911 GT3, a BMW E46 M3, a BMW E93 M5, a Ferrari 550 Maranello, a Corvette Stingray and I'm sure I saw another but I can't remember what it was.

Did you chat to the owner?
Nah he had that look about him like he'd be real dick. So I just studied it and left him be.

What watch were you wearing?
None, I don't own one. My Milgauss still hasn't even shipped, this sure is a waiting game.

shandroid

Put Some Respect On My Name
13/9/10
Another one for me.... I must have it bad, I seem to notice watches before I notice people - lol

MAKE AND MODEL OF WATCH? Rolex Milgauss

WHERE WERE YOU? Cafe for lunch

REP/GEN? Definitely Gen

DID YOU CHAT TO THE OWNER? IF SO, COMMENTS? Yes, and a great guy! Also one of the luckiest bastards I've met to date! He was the product development manager for Porsche Int'l and was here to help roll out some sales processes. We chatted for quite a while about cars and watches as one of the gentleman he was in Brisbane to see was the Manager of Porsche Centre Brisbane - a personal friend of mine, so an easy conversation starter. The milgauss was the green tinted one (excuse my ignorance - I'm not a rolex expert) and he told me about his IWC big pilot, Daytona and a Patek also. He raced a Porsche cup car for fun and every country he landed in they had a car waiting for him to take for the duration of his stay... Yes, I think I had a man-crush... lol

WATCH YOU WERE YOU WEARING? Chopard MM GTXL

AHX

Renowned Member
3/12/10
<day date stuff>

Another thing I forgot to mention about the Day Date, I could see the etched crown in the sapphire from like, the height from my head to his wrist away, remember he was sitting on the seat next to me. Does that mean anything about gen/rep? I thought the crown at 6 was supposed to be next to impossible to see...

Now, another one today.

Make and model of watch?
Rolex Submariner or Seadweller possibly?

Where were you?
Train heading home from work.

Rep/Gen?
He was sitting on the seat over from me, against the window, leaning his head on his hand, so his watch was actually facing away from me. I could see the clasp was at the very least Rolex style and in the reflection of the window I could see the distinct bezel insert and lume markers of a Rolex. So I don't know if it was a Rolex gen, rep, or possibly even a very good homage. HOWEVER...

He was wearing quite blue collar clothing. And I'm not talking regular casual wear, I'm talking he probably works in a factory or manufacturing or something, he had work gear on. Typically you would not wear a real Rolex in that scenario, and when he got off, he got off at one of the lower class suburb stops, and as he got off he accidentally smacked it into the side of the train door and didn't seem phased. I actually physically cringed and recoiled a bit. I REALLY hope it's a fake otherwise it's obviously taking one hell of a fuckin' beating.

Did you chat to the owner?
No but I was considering it if the train cleared enough that I could go over and ask him without asking over a bunch of people, but then he got off.

None, I don't own one. My Milgauss is on its way in the mail :D

mt666tm

Renowned Member
2/2/10
Cool thread:

Make/Model: Breitling Super Avenger white dial

Where were you: Out for drinks with friends

Rep/Gen: Definitely Gen.

Did we chat: yup.

What I was wearing: The guy works in the industry in relation to cruise ships and getting customers to buy watches while on vacation, or something like that. He was apparantly trained to spot reps in order to size up customers... He really liked my modded V1 HBB Black Ice that I was wearing and I gladly gave it to him for close inspection. He was convinced it was gen, but commented on how the strap didn't smell of vanilla, and I told him that I boiled it to get rid of that stench, LOL.
At the end of the night he was willing to trade the Avenger for my V1, LOL... I should have done it.

I saw the guy another time while I was wearing my AP End of Days (he had the same Avenger) and he nearly shat himself... I leveled with him that the AP was a rep ;)

shandroid

13/9/10
Cool thread:

Make/Model: Breitling Super Avenger white dial

Where were you: Out for drinks with friends

Did we chat: yup.

What I was wearing: The guy works in the industry in relation to cruise ships and getting customers to buy watches while on vacation, or something like that. He was apparantly trained to spot reps in order to size up customers... He really liked my modded V1 HBB Black Ice that I was wearing and I gladly gave it to him for close inspection. He was convinced it was gen, but commented on how the strap didn't smell of vanilla, and I told him that I boiled it to get rid of that stench, LOL.
At the end of the night he was willing to trade the Avenger for my V1, LOL... I should have done it.

I saw the guy another time while I was wearing my AP End of Days (he had the same Avenger) and he nearly shat himself... I leveled with him that the AP was a rep ;)

Lol - Great story!!! Trained? Didn't notice the sunken datewheel? You should have made the trade brother! lol

A lot of the guys I work with have Rollies, Speedies, G'Carrera's etc and have absolutley no idea - honestly, it's frustrating. I had a conversation - it was more like enduring a verbal onslaught of utter crap - with a guy today who I spotted wearing a gen date just roman dial on jubilee. He talked like he was King Kong for 10 minutes before he noticed my Chopard rep, and the first thing he told me was - 'I know watches - and that definitely isn't a fake - they don't even try copying these ones'.... lol

I should wear my $90 noob GMT IIC tomorrow and see what he has to say about that.... :p

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Make/Model: Rolex Submariner Blue Bezel/Face w/ gold + SS bracelet

Where were you: At work on an oil rig

Did we chat: Yeah, chatted for a good hour or so about watches. I wasn't wearing anything nice at the time but got to handle his watch, check out the rehaut engraving, bracelet details, etc. very very nice watch, but damn the dude was crazy to be wearing it in a heavy machinery environment. He wasn't even aware of how much the prices had increased since he bought it 4-5 years ago. He's away to get the insurance value changed when he gets home :p

ikiestik

Renowned Member
8/4/09
Make/Model: PAM164 Auto on bracelet

Where were you: At work

Rep/Gen: 99% gen No horrible blue ar at all. He is a contractor/manager for a company that was doing some work on my restaurant. One thing I did notice was it had a brushed cg dont know if they ever made a 164 with a brushed cg.

Did we chat: Yes. I saw this pam from about 10/15ft away thought to myself it cant be, not in Mcdonalds lol. Went and asked him if it was he said yeah and its a real one too but I have to admit the strap isnt genuine he bought it off ebay for £50 as he couldnt justify spending nearly £1000 on a strap.

P

Importr

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
23/10/06
I have 3 instances:

1)
spotted: Rolex Submariner 16610
where: at work! A new guy started, wearing this Sub. He was quite scruffy and drove a battered car. I figured that it wasn't real.
chat: I said; "nice Sub! Mind if i have a look?" Long story short, he said the secs was sweeping, and it was gen. I checked the insert, cyclops and bracelet, it was a cheap rep!
wearing: Franken SMP Chrono rep - he thought it was gen but then I told him the truth.

2)
spotted: Breitling Navitimer
where: Supermarket, in the checkout queue. Guy in business suit wearing a very very cheap Navi rep, the one with faux chronos!
chat: no
wearing: gen Navitimer

3)
spotted: PAM 111
where: at a mutual friends' wedding! I deducted it was gen after about 5mins of weighing up the wearer and his partner.
chat: He is a commercial diver on about £1000gbp per day. Loves watches & fast cars. He was after a DSSD next.
wearing: gen Monaco Steve McQueen

onelove

Horology Curious
24/10/10
Usually a lot of high end gens at work, today was a pretty nice collection tho:

1. PAM 104
2. JLC, master control I think
5. IWC pilot
6. patek phillipe calatrava

of course some rollies and breitlings sprinkled in, i always comment on clients watches when i spot them, i had a long conversation with the PAM owner about how he only wears panerai now because he is always banging into things

luckily I had my breitling chronmat rep on which looks pretty gen

deloreandmc

I'm Pretty Popular
23/10/09
Pam 93

Gen

Knife Show

Complimented him on his nice panerai, he said it was the 093, and not one of those "Cheap fake ones"

Wearing, Graham Swordfish rep.

artsyguy

15/1/11
Here's the deal...if you make 20K a year and love watches you shouldn't be buying Rep Gold Presidents, or Patek's. Almost everyone knows how expensive these items are and when you get called out on wearing it you are going to look like a tool. I say pick a nice rep that is somewhat off the beaten trail, not the flavor of the week, and go real easy on the fake gold and diamonds. Wear a watch that looks like if you scrimped and saved up for a few month you might be able to afford. Getting out of your 92 Pontiac Sunfire wearing a fat, shiny Rolex just won't cut it.
Just my opinion...your mileage may vary :)
Cohibas and Cocktails,
Artsyguy

Also...just to play along....
I photograph many executives and doctors for my business. Photographed a Doc wearing a PAM Luminor(not sure of model as I had only started studying them. Leather band and nice SS clasp closure)
I commented I liked his watch and he ripped it off his wrist and let me try it on without me even asking. Nice guy. I told him I'd love to own one. He told me: "you should do some research on the internet before you buy one." Which IMHO was code for: "It's a rep"!
Was wearing my genuine Tag Heuer Diver at the time so no really serious envy on my part.

INeedaWatch2

Renowned Member
5/11/09
MAKE AND MODEL OF WATCH? Fossil

WHERE WERE YOU? Wal-Mart

REP/GEN? GEN! She was a cashier!

DID YOU CHAT TO THE OWNER? Yes she was ringing up my items and talking about filing taxes

WATCH YOU WERE YOU WEARING? Rolex Submariner LV and she was drooling and even commented how she would love to have a Rolex

AHX

Renowned Member
3/12/10
Bumpity bump! I've got a good one...

Make and model of watches?

Two! Rolex Submariner Two Tone and a Rolex Air King with the blue face.

Where were you?
Australia Day BBQ.

Reps/Gens?
Well, I wasn't sure as they were two brothers from Pakistan, I had to ask one of my mates who knew them well at the party and he explained that they came from a very rich family, their father owns a chain of hotels over there and they were pretty well lavished. He hadn't noticed their watches as it was me who pointed out they were both wearing Rolexes, but he said if they were, they would almost certainly have been genuine, probably gifts from their dad.

Did you chat to the owners?
Not really, I got there not long before they had to leave to be somewhere else but I absolutely will next time I see them. They're lovely guys.

Why, my trusty Milgauss of course! :D

INeedaWatch2

Renowned Member
5/11/09
MAKE AND MODEL OF WATCH? Rolex Explorer II

WHERE WERE YOU? Work

REP/GEN? GEN! GEN! Sales Manager owns it. He can afford it and more!

DID YOU CHAT TO THE OWNER? Everyday.

WATCH YOU WERE YOU WEARING? Depends on what day! He seen every watch I have.

I will add this too. I got my boss who lives in New Jeresy into reps. He goes to Crapnal Street in NYC about once a month and buys a bunch. I have seen several of his and none of them stand up to the quality of the ones seen on this fourm. Thank to RWI for being here for us. I will post the pics of the Sub that he sent me on another thread.

shandroid

13/9/10
make and model of watch? Mont Blanc Timewalker Chrono, white dial

Where were you? work

rep/gen? I couldn't tell....

did you chat to the owner? If so, comments? No, but after seeing it I definitely want one! A beautiful watch!

watch you were you wearing? I was wearing my Noobmariner

QinetiQ

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/8/09
Pam 93

Gen

Knife Show

Complimented him on his nice panerai, he said it was the 093, and not one of those "Cheap fake ones"

Wearing, Graham Swordfish rep.

Lol and you believe him? What a douche bag this guy is. Just for saying that, I bet that it's a 21j rep. I hate people like him

rmahne2

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/8/09
spotted: IWC Aquatimer
where: clinic
rep/gen: GEN
chat: Told him how much I admired the watch, later found out his son played in the NBA.
wearing: Brietling SuperOcean. He didn't know what a Brietling was. Not a watch guy obviously. Watch must have been a gift.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
spotted: Too many to list
where: Travelling from Aberdeen to Korea
rep/gen: GEN
chat: Nope, all just observations I made during the trip.

I've never really noticed peoples watches before I joined this site and others to research buying a new watch for myself. But even in the time that i've been researching my knowledge has increased ten-fold. From **** all, to slightly less than **** all.

After checking in at Aberdeen airport I went through to the departure lounge, just sitting watching people go buy. We're flying to Schippol (spelling?) airport in the Netherlands so there's always lots of oil industry businessmen flying.

Spot #1

Noticed the tall gentleman sitting near me with a gold/white gold (maybe platinum?) datejust. Definately not a stainless steel band. From what I could see, a very nice watch and definately a Gen. Only my second ever Rolex spot in the 'wild'.

Spot #2

Same flight, different business man. Almost exactly the same watch as above, platinum/white gold datejust on jubilee band. Only got a few glances at is as he was accross the aisle from me.

So from there I travelled on over to the Netherlands and had 4 hours to kill at the airport. Spent a while in Murphy's Bar and then went wandering round the shops. Spent a long time in one of the watch concession shops with IWC, Rolex, Breitling, Omega stands etc. Everything was behind glass. In the flesh the IWC's were the ones that stood out the most out of all of them i think.

From there i went to a solo Rolex AD where a nice lady let me take out and look at a few of the watches. They had a lot of datejusts, some Subs, all 3 variations of the Milguass (white face, black face and GV). The real GV in the flesh is an amazing watch, I got to try it on to see what it felt like. Truly stunning in the flesh. I was really dissapointed that they didn't have any Daytona's in the shop but the sales assistant told me that they make far too few and sell really fast! They also had the new Tudor Chrono which at around £2k was a beautiful watch.

Spot #3

Met up with three other guys we were travelling to Korea with and immediately spotted what they were wearing. 1st guy was a bogstandard SS bracelet non-chrono watch of no description (as far as I could see.

Second guy was wearing an Omega that I couldnt get a good look at, and the third was wearing a platinum datejust on a really really stretched and older looking jubilee band.

Spot's #4-5-6

Spotted at least 3 guys in Seoul and Busang airports in Korea sporting Rolex watches. No idea if they were Gen or not.

This morning at breakfast I was still trying to look at this guys Omega without seeming to be too nosy. I don't recognise the line of watch but it was at least 40-42mm, SS band, large diamond shape lume markers on the face. Only really big dissapointment was seeing the seconds had ticking instead of sweeping. So at least I know it's a Quartz!