• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

I'm CCW shopping..

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
I know a lot of people that have gotten their permit, gone out and bought a Govt. Mdl. or a high capacity 9 or 40, carry it for a few weeks, and then start leaving it in their car or truck. They get tired of having to dress and plan for it, or they get tired of the weight of it, and that is the end of it.

A lot of people whine about a big gun not being comfortable. It's not supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be COMFORTING.

brtelec

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
The point is, buy something that you will actually carry. I have been carrying concealed in three different states for over 28 years. I find the key to carrying a full size firearm is persistence. You carry them long enough you will no longer notice it. It is like carrying your car keys or your phone.

The average guy though is more likely to stop carrying a full size firearm as soon as it becomes a nuisance and then that is that.

Carrying concealed is a commitment in more ways than one. Not only do you need to commit to dressing and planning for it, but you must also commit to learning to handle your firearm, and constantly being aware of your surroundings in the event of an incident so that you do not endanger anyone else. It is a lot of responsibility. Not one to be taken lightly.

Fortis

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/12/10
Heckler & Koch P30 or 45compact

Unsurpassed reliability, "Mercedes feeling" german over engineered build, rather precise, Interchangable back and sidestraps makes it close to custom molded to your grip right out of the box, points naturally, etc.etc.
45 for ultimate stopping power, 9mm for economical shooting and still adequate protection with +p+ jhp. 9mm also easier to conceal.
-Also, they look the business.... :)

:av007:

http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_products/pistols.asp

http://hkpro.com/forum/

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
DAMMIT BRTELEC, STOP READING MY INSTRUCTOR'S MANUAL!! ;)

It seems like everything you post on this general topic is dead-nuts 100% what I would say. It's nice to see someone with the same viewpoints.

Just a couple of examples out of this:

you must also commit to learning to handle your firearm

I once asked a fellow Instructor what he carried, and he responded with "It depends on what day of the week it is", indicating that he carried whatever struck his fancy that day.
I told him right away that I strongly disagreed with that philosophy; that you should carry and practice with the same gun - repeatedly - so that EVERYTHING is automatic. You don't want to have to *think* "Do I flip off the thumb safety? Does this gun HAVE a safety?", etc. Clearing a malfunction can become more problematic depending on your level of expertise. This is something I feel strongly about and drill into my students.

constantly being aware of your surroundings

This is what we call "Situational Awareness". It's too easy to become lost in your own thoughts as you walk in a parking lot or similar. Did you notice that guy 20 feet to your right, wearing a heavy coat and wool hat, even though it's warm weather? Do you see that guy who, in your peripheral vision, is quickly walking TOWARD YOU instead of with the flow of foot traffic? Being aware of your surroundings keeps YOU safe, too!

It is a lot of responsibility. Not one to be taken lightly.

:lolcina: I hammer this into ALL my students, HARD. Invariably I'll have someone in class who "can't wait until someone tries to break into MY house!". Ugh. There's no place for this type of mentality in carrying a concealed deadly weapon.
Just last week I was explaining how, when carrying, I am LESS likely to get into a confrontation with anyone. This is because I *know* how it could escalate, whether I wanted it to or not. I'm an easy-going guy, but I'm just that more restrained when carrying.

Preach on, brother!!

14799-preacher-giving-a-speech-clip.jpg

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11
I once asked a fellow Instructor what he carried, and he responded with "It depends on what day of the week it is", indicating that he carried whatever struck his fancy that day.
I told him right away that I strongly disagreed with that philosophy; that you should carry and practice with the same gun - repeatedly - so that EVERYTHING is automatic. You don't want to have to *think* "Do I flip off the thumb safety? Does this gun HAVE a safety?", etc. Clearing a malfunction can become more problematic depending on your level of expertise. This is something I feel strongly about and drill into my students.

I dunno' Anopsis, I think having the ability to shoot A LOT of guns and do it well shouldn't be underestimated. I'm an instructor at a handgun range in PDX and one of the significant things I've noticed is that my shooting has improved. I'm not saying that I practice more, but I handle, repair and shoot A LOT of guns. As a result, I don't "think"so much about what I'm doing with a particular gun, I just shoot it. If you have your fundamentals down the rest just becomes instinctive, more or less.

Just today I was reading about John Farnham's defensive handgun/urban rifle class in the April issue of SWAT. I was surprised by what Farnham refers to as a "utility" gun concept. Basically he believes "a warrior should not have a favorite weapon" and that firearms are "more alike than they are different". By conducting a "Battlefield Pick-Up" drill he is apparently able to successfully make his point. I found the idea interesting and am inclined to agree with that concept. Again, fundamentals are key and safety is paramount to everything else.

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
G30, you're absolutely correct - you SHOULD become proficient with as many different firearms as possible. However, the average Joe who shoots two or three times a year should limit themselves a bit. ;)
I teach civvies, many of whom have never shot a firearm before, and are now getting their license to CARRY one. Scary thought.
For a firearms instructor who reads SWAT and knows who Farnham is, the above caveat does not apply.
Also, keep in mind that occasional (not sport) shooters quite often do not understand the WHY of how the gun and its parts function; they only understand that "when I do this, the gun does that". Case in point: In a concealed carry class I had last Saturday a shooter on the line was looking for the thumb safety on his Glock 17. In a month's time, he'll be carrying that gun concealed.
Farnham mentioned warriors, which, most civilians carrying weapons are most certainly not.

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11
@Anopsis - True. I thought to make that distinction as I am also tasked with teaching the "Noobs" at our range. You did mention a "fellow instructor" in the quote I referred to so I felt free to speak on that one.

That "thumb safety" scenario... LOL! Sounds like someone's been paying attention to all that bad gun handling you see on TV and in the movies. It can be funny, but it's not really. Might of enjoyed seeing the expression on your face though...
icon12.gif

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11
Back on topic... carry guns. I don't get too involved in discussions about caliber anymore. Since the gun is a tool, like having a flashlight for when you need one, then you have to understand what the tool can and cannot do. It's about shot placement and knowing that, say, if your shooting 9mm instead of 45ACP then it might require an extra couple of rounds for the tool to work. There just ain't no guarantees with a handgun.

Carry guns are also all about compromise. Generally you either have too much gun or not enough. Seasonally I carry a .45 in the winter, 9mm or .38 in the spring, summer and maybe, at some point in the fall, I transition back to the .45. This is all based on my personal preference, clothing, available holsters, et al. Lately I've been mulling around the idea of a quick "go to" gun that is "convenient" and could by pass a number of the above considerations. Something that could compliment a primary or be used as one without the need for a lot of extra gear. A few months ago I discovered this...

4e41641082f05e3155ef0b6d3054cfa90b84657e57894797fb42cf79f6e363db4g.jpg

The Diamondback 380 BLR. It's like the .380 Glock that has yet to hit the states. It has good sights (maybe not necessary for the distances used), a great trigger reset for quick, accurate and reliable fire, all with the convenience of slipping it into a pocket at a moments notice. Fill it with 7 80grn. Corbon DPX, an extra mag and you're good to go.

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
Looks nice. I briefly looked at it when I chose the S&W Bodyguard 380. Seems like a good little gun for the money. How does it shoot?

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11
Really well. It affords a better grip then something like, say, an LCP. Controlled fire at 15' I shot 1.5, maybe 2" groups. Picking up the tempo I was able to keep most everything in the 10 on a #11 silhouette at 21'. Like most "pocket rockets" I've heard they can be a little fussy and I've found it's usually due to a persons grip. The rental we have at the range runs fine after break-in. Reliable with 90 grn. Mag Tech, PMC and Sellier & Bellot which is what we usually stock for .380.

OiRogers

Renowned Member
24/8/06
Looks nice. I briefly looked at it when I chose the S&W Bodyguard 380. Seems like a good little gun for the money. How does it shoot?

Gun-tests mag had some trouble with their diamondback 380. I see they recently announced a 9mm version... That intrigues me. I'll keep an eye on that one for sure.

Any trouble with your BG380? Mine has gone over 1k rounds with only 1 FTE (ammo related). I've heard of problems in the striker system though.
Luckily, my BG380 is a 2nd or 3rd gun... Never a primary. It's the gun on my ankle or ribcage for absolute last resort use.

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
A reliable backup is always important in the event of a "New York Reload" becoming a necessity. ;)

Mine had a lot of FTF issues; I did a throat and polish on the feed ramp and it's a different gun now. The button design for the laser (the rubber buttons, not the foil switch) leaves a lot to be desired. I've had several come my way that needed to be sleeved.

OiRogers

Renowned Member
24/8/06
A reliable backup is always important in the event of a "New York Reload" becoming a necessity. ;)

Mine had a lot of FTF issues; I did a throat and polish on the feed ramp and it's a different gun now. The button design for the laser (the rubber buttons, not the foil switch) leaves a lot to be desired. I've had several come my way that needed to be sleeved.

The laser button is my biggest gripe about the design. I love the sights, slide lock and safety... Mainly though I love how solid it feels for such a small light weapon... Compare it to the Ruger / Keltec / Diamondback offerings... The BG380 feels like a gun, where the others feel like toys.

I have a Keltec P3AT in the safe that has the CT laser added... The laser button is on the front strap, so when you acquire your grip the laser is on. I love that setup... I wish SW would have used a similar setup on the BG380.

I'm guessing SW designed it so that your support hand thumb was intended to be the laser activating finger... I honestly can't see how to activate the laser with one hand and remain on target. I still wish it were a more "one hand friendly" design.

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
I think the intention is to activate the switch via the trigger finger. As you know, until you're ready to fire your finger stays outside the trigger guard, typically along side the frame. This is the exact placement of the switch.

brtelec

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
My LCP has the Crimson Trace laser and the activation switch is also on the front strap. No need to think about it, normal grip, laser on.

Though I agree that whether or not you are a warrior or a civilian, there are great advantages to being trained with as many firearms as possible. I have to agree with Anopsis however, that for the average person carrying and training with one firearm is important when the adrenalin starts flowing and the pressure is on. Never forget the old adage - Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

OiRogers

Renowned Member
24/8/06
I think the intention is to activate the switch via the trigger finger. As you know, until you're ready to fire your finger stays outside the trigger guard, typically along side the frame. This is the exact placement of the switch.

If that was the intention... They failed. I cannot get the laser on and maintain a sight picture at the same time using only my trigger finger.
I don't even use the laser on it now... The regular sights are pretty great.

Only way I can hold a sight picture and get the laser activated is to use a two hand grip and have the support hand thumb do the press. Grab your BG380 out and give it a whirl (safely of course)... Left thumb on left button is what works for me when I rarely do put the laser on.

It's a great little backup gun, but like any... It has a few flaws. I don't think anyone has built the "perfect" handgun yet. John Moses Browning probably came closest in my opinion, but even the 1911 has it's flaws (extractor being a weak point in my opinion)

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
I suppose it's what's comfortable for different people. I can easily activate it via support-hand thumb just as you suggested, as well.
Also like you, I doubt I'll ever use the laser much - the sights really are pretty good. Since they're real dovetail sights I figure it won't be long before someone releases tritium night sights for it. :)

IMG_7120.jpg

IMG_7121.jpg

IMG_7123.jpg

donaldejose

I'm Pretty Popular
20/12/08
I suggest keeping the laser off in the dark until the moment you intend to shoot.

Why? Because, if there is smoke or humidity in the air the reflected laser beam can tell the "bad guy" exactly where to aim long before you even see where the bad guy is hiding. He can just follow the beam backwards and it is always pointing directly to you as you walk around in the dark attempting to be stealthy!

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
I suggest keeping the laser off in the dark until the moment you intend to shoot.

Why? Because, if there is smoke or humidity in the air the reflected laser beam can tell the "bad guy" exactly where to aim long before you even see where the bad guy is hiding. He can just follow the beam backwards and it is always pointing directly to you as you walk around in the dark attempting to be stealthy!

A similar issue: You'll notice that law enforcement officers tend not to use weapon-mounted lights. This is for two reasons; 1) you won't have to worry about accidentally pointing your weapon at someone/something just to use the light, and 2) A bad guy with a gun will, intentionally or not, aim at the source of the light.
Well-trained LEOs will hold the light high and wide, meaning at head level or higher, and off to the side.
The moral of the story? You're already a target; don't make it any easier for them!

A guy brought an AR in for service and it had a not-legal-in-the-US high mW green laser on it. After dusk, moisture in the air was illuminated by the beam all the way to the building I was pointing it at, approximately a half-mile away. Looked like something from a sci-fi flick. It was very cool, but not practical. At all.