• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The 'spotted' thread!!!!

shandroid

Put Some Respect On My Name
13/9/10
Hey guys, something for a bit of fun... I'm posting this on my iPhone, so if it doesn't make sense, I'll edit later.

I wanted to start a thread about the watches we see day-to-day when we're out n about. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I find myself scanning peoples wrists subconsciously looking for something interesting to drool over, and now you can post your findings in this thread. If we stick to the format below it might help us stay on topic (so when JC finds it he doesn't go off on some tangent about salma hayeks eyes)...

MAKE AND MODEL OF WATCH?

WHERE WERE YOU?

REP/GEN?

DID YOU CHAT TO THE OWNER? IF SO, COMMENTS?

WATCH YOU WERE YOU WEARING?

I'll go first,

MAKE AND MODEL OF WATCH? Pam 111 (I think - the wearer didn't know shit and was a tosser)

WHERE WERE YOU? At Robina Town Centre on the Gold Coast

REP/GEN? Judging by his wifes J-12 and the way him and his family were dressed - gen... I didn't get a good look, but CG looked good, no apparent AR

DID YOU CHAT TO THE OWNER? IF SO, COMMENTS? Said hello to him and complimented him on his 'pam' and asked if it was the 111... He looked at me so I gestured toward his watch and said again, nice Pam... He corrected me saying it's Panerai, and gave his wife the 'can you believe this wanker' look... Lol.

WATCH YOU WERE YOU WEARING? I think I had my carrera day/date on....

:D

murklemark

I'm Pretty Popular
28/7/10
Since this forum i constantly stare at peoples wrists to see what they are wearing, cool idea for a thread, heres mine:

MAKE AND MODEL OF WATCH? Montblanc Timewalker

WHERE WERE YOU? At work

REP/GEN? Definitley gen as the guy is one of our companies directors

DID YOU CHAT TO THE OWNER? IF SO, COMMENTS? Asked him about the watch (he was very interested in watches), after he saw my watch and tried it on he asked me how a man of my age afforded a Breitling, i confused it was a fake as Lola Ferrari (R.I.P),

WATCH YOU WERE YOU WEARING? £60 Breitlng Bentley Rep

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
spotted: BR02-94 REP
where: Selfridges
chat: yes claimed it was gen - called him out and showed him my rep in exchange :lol: was fun!
wearing: rep Chronofighter

Dr.Verylong

Legendary Member
Advisor
2/8/09
I have also contracted the wrist-scanning disease :)

spotted: Ulysse Nardin Maxi Diver limited edition
where: Disneyland Paris, waiting queue at the fastrack counter for Thunder Mountain. Must have been a rep, the guy didn't look like a limited UN at all.
chat: no
wearing: Noobmariner on black Nato

shandroid

13/9/10
I have also contracted the wrist-scanning disease :)

spotted: Ulysse Nardin Maxi Diver limited edition
where: Disneyland Paris, waiting queue at the fastrack counter for Thunder Mountain. Must have been a rep, the guy didn't look like a limited UN at all.
chat: no
wearing: Noobmariner on black Nato

Lol - love your avatar Dr... He's a crazy little rodent... :biglaugh:

Bronzy

I'm Pretty Popular
4/12/09
My wife and I ran into the "Sister Wives" guy and one of his 4 wives... we were on our way down from up in Idaho and laughed to ourselves, I wonder where they live... we were at a mall on Sunday and saw them there.

Spotted: Rolex DSSD, I figure it was real because they have a reality show, plus it was so polished looking.
Where: somewhere in Utah...
Chat: Yes, but should have asked about his watch! You see him wear it on the TV show quite often too now that I noticed in person!
Wearing: Rolex Submariner (rep)

shandroid

13/9/10
Anyone else like me never heard of Sister Wives....

Here's a wiki run-down....

'Sister Wives is an American reality television series broadcast on TLC in 2010. The show documents the life of a polygamist family living in Lehi, Utah, which includes patriarch Kody Brown, his four wives and their 16 children. The seven-episode first season ran from September 26 to October 17, 2010 and drew strong ratings according to Nielsen Media Research. Sister Wives has been renewed for a second season, which will broadcast starting March 2011.
Brown and his wives have claimed they participated with the show to make the public more aware of polygamist families and to combat societal prejudices. Brown has claimed his polygamist arrangement is legal because he is legally married only to one woman, and the other marriages are spiritual unions. Nevertheless, legal experts have claimed the series could leave the Brown family vulnerable to criminal prosecution.
One day after the series debuted, Lehi police announced they were conducting a bigamy investigation into the family. The Utah Attorney General's office has not ruled out seeking criminal charges against the Browns, but stated they do not have the resources to go after polygamists who are not suspected of serious crimes such as child abuse or child trafficking.'

Hmmmm.....

BADWIN BING

30/4/10
Make & Model: PO Chrono

22105100-50.jpg

Where/when: Christmas Eve at work.

Rep/Gen: 100% gen.

Did you chat to the owner: Hell, yes. The owner of the watch is a wealthy client of mine. It was the first thing I noticed and this happens to be my favourite watch. He's a great guy and let me have a good feel and a try on.

What were you wearing: This is the embarassing part. I was wearing my daily work beater which happens to be the Nariikka 45mm PO. After I spotted his, he spotted mine.

No problem whatsoever. I came clean straight away.....he held mine, I held his (watch!) The narikka aint perfect but it's a damn fine watch for the price. My client was blown away this rep. So much so that he's asked me to source a Jacob & Co for his son.

Great thread Shanno.

shandroid

13/9/10
make and model of watch? BCE, B01, SMP and Carrera

Where were you? Marriott, Surfers Paradise

rep/gen? SMP def gen, Not sure about the others

did you chat to the owner? If so, comments? The dude with the B01 said g'day at the bacon hot-tin... He was a meat-head too, but i didn't notice his watch until later... When food is around, I'm focused on getting into my BELLY, so not much else registers on my radar, lol... The SMP belongs to my bro in law - so yes - i chat to him regularly..

watch you were you wearing? I was wearing my Carrera day/date

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
Spotted: DSSD

N London

REP (lol)

Yes, V3 DSSD - apparently from Angus! So if you're here and reading this then say HI!

BR03-92 gen.

mchou

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/11/10
Spotted: Two Tone Daytona

Place:At the Gucci Counter in Milan

Gen/Rep:probably Gen was a middle aged man with his wive was buying a handbag for his wive

Chat:No chat

Wearing:Didn't wear a watch at that time lol

"wive" should be wife
:lolcina:

shandroid

13/9/10
make and model of watch? Rolex Submariner LV (green, Ceramic)

Where were you? Local Coffee Club

rep/gen? Definitely gen

did you chat to the owner? If so, comments? Yes, he owns the place. Was only too happy to tell me about his new purchase (how they wouldn't budge even a dollar, he checked at Langfords in Brisbane and the Coast AD, so he bought here in Brisbane.... I didn't have the heart to tell him that one of my best mates got one for $8400 [i believe they retail at 11k here], although he did say it took patience and a lot of grit). Apparently has a daytona and a DJ... Didn't seem particularly knowledgeable, just enthusiastic about his Rolex's. Was particularly impressed with my SA, wanted to hold it and complimented me on it a number of times, said he'd seen one in a shop before and loved it but didn't bother looking closely as it was too big for him...

watch you were you wearing? Franken Super Avenger

QinetiQ

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/8/09
Spotted: Full YG Rolex Datejust with a MOP dial and diamond indices

Place: Airplane - the guy was sitting next to me

Gen/Rep: Most definitely gen. There isn't even a rep of this watch. The dial was something I've never seen before. MOP dial with the wavy ROLEX ROLEX all over it. I'm sure he paid pretty penny for that one

Chat: I only said it was a great looking watch and he said the same thing about my rep Flying B. He said he always wanted one of those, too bad I couldn't say the same about his :D

Wearing: Breitling Flying B Chrono

shandroid

13/9/10
Hey Q, ive been keen on a flying B for a while now... You got yours from 747, right? Anything I should know about them..?

QinetiQ

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/8/09
Hey Q, ive been keen on a flying B for a while now... You got yours from 747, right? Anything I should know about them..?

Not really mate. It's my favorite watch. You need to see it in person to appreciate it. I got it for cheap and it was serviced but it's worth every damn cent of the asking price mate. It's one of the watches I will never let go. I can only recommend to get it serviced because that big date complication is probably the most complex 7750 there is in the rep world and if it goes bad it's bye bye. Get it serviced and it will run like a champ

jcrry2

I'm Pretty Popular
10/7/09
make and model of watch? --Pam251 on a bracelet

Where were you? -- Applebees, Im in college and serve at the local ab.

rep/gen?-- 99% rep

did you chat to the owner?-- ohh yes. I live in a small town, a really small town. there is no ad, so getting to see other nice watches is always a treat for me. so one night at the bees this guy was sitting at the bar on a monday night with his buddy drinking beer and watching tv. and as i came out to talk to the bartender i noticed this guys watch. caught my eye instantly and i did a double take to make sure it was a pam. then i asked if it was a panerai, he was suprised that i knew what it was. we talked for a while. he said only one other person has ever known what a pam was. although when we were talking, i think i knew more about his watch than he did. at least more technical stats on it (size, movement, bph)

i was really happy to talk to this guy, i may have impressed him with my pam knowledge.

why i think it was a rep.
the date looked sunken, the bracelet looked all kings of wierd on it. although he did say it was custom for that watch since they dont come with bracelets? i dont know about that. and i feel like this guy didnt know enough about his watch for it to be a gen.

MrYesterday

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/10
Itinerant
Same here, it's the people that know exact dimension, beat count, company history, ect. that you have to watch out for. The less they know about their watch, the better the chances that they are gen owners. We do more research, and pride ourselves on the tedium and nuances that we're aware of.

It's kind of like DMC and his super cars. He knows more about them because he drools over them, reads about them, and aspires to one day own one. Do you think that the majority of Bugatti owners know the minor details about their cars? No, they know it goes fast, attracts women, and makes other men envy them. I doubt that they could rattle off the BHP, torque specs, tire dimensions, driveline tolerances, ect like an enthusiast could. Granted there is a small portion of owners who are real "enthusiasts" and know everything about them, but I think the scale is more heavily weighed on the side of the ignorant.

co-axial

Legendary Member
Advisor
16/9/10
Nice thread, shanno!

make and model of watch? Breitling Navitimer :facepalm:

Where were you? KaDeWe Luxury Warehouse Berlin, looking at Gen Omega at AD in shoppingwindow last year December

rep/gen? screaming REP for miles!! AR, bracelet, finish...

did you chat to the owner? If so, comments? No way! Guy looked like the "Brooklyn Brawler" :lol:

watch you were you wearing? my 45.5 PO comparing to gen in AD´s window

scottosaurus

Known Member
31/7/10
Spotted: Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine & Chanel J12 w/ diamonds

Where: Husband and wife on Southwest Airlines flight to Chicago.

Chat: Yes. I pointed out the gen J12 to my sister since I had just bought her the same rep for her birthday. The couple was well dressed and both watches looked gen.

Wearing: JLC Master Control rep