• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clean Factory New Release 116508 Full YG Daytona Series (Comparison vs. Genuine John Mayer)

man5on90

Even a Copy Gives You a Distinctive Feeling
Supporter
Certified
1/5/20
Yeah that CF bezel font is a tad on the thick side. Plus the Gen has more depth and boldness to it. Is there a better rep bezel to get?

frankiemuniz

Horology Curious
22/6/21
Yeah that CF bezel font is a tad on the thick side. Plus the Gen has more depth and boldness to it. Is there a better rep bezel to get?
VERY miniscule. Impossible for someone to notice such when a majority of people have never seen the gen. The color is identical, the ONLY problematic area for me is the CF bezel the numbers & line are raised higher on the bezel and should be lower and closer to the bezel edge. Gen is right on the edge, CF there is a noticeable gap.

man5on90

Supporter
Certified
1/5/20
I think CF have nailed it with the dial. The BTF is a little to dark in my opinion.

Reactions: wubsub

wubsub

i like subs
Patron
Certified
31/10/18
sorry who are?
VERY miniscule. Impossible for someone to notice such when a majority of people have never seen the gen. The color is identical, the ONLY problematic area for me is the CF bezel the numbers & line are raised higher on the bezel and should be lower and closer to the bezel edge. Gen is right on the edge, CF there is a noticeable gap.
superb - now you can beat around your cf while gen is in the safe

fussball9999

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/11/19
Hey guys :)
so I been searching through the forum to find information on thet 116508 John Mayer. I have been very happy with my stainless steel reps so far (VSF Subs, BTF Panda, Clean GMTs), and now looking into my first gold rep.

Maybe you can help me with these questions:

1. There are no tungsten reps from CF/BTF for the 116508 correct? If I buy a CF one, the weight will be more or less the same as a stainless steel one?

2. I read that sometimes people plate their reps in gold, is that needed for CF and BTF or is one of them better out of the box?

3. In the sales corner I found some old sales post from this model, what would you say is a must add on for the rep to do once I have it in my hands?

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day :)

BlossomboofyBoofystewie2

25/8/18
Australia
Hey guys :)
so I been searching through the forum to find information on thet 116508 John Mayer. I have been very happy with my stainless steel reps so far (VSF Subs, BTF Panda, Clean GMTs), and now looking into my first gold rep.

Maybe you can help me with these questions:

1. There are no tungsten reps from CF/BTF for the 116508 correct? If I buy a CF one, the weight will be more or less the same as a stainless steel one?

2. I read that sometimes people plate their reps in gold, is that needed for CF and BTF or is one of them better out of the box?

3. In the sales corner I found some old sales post from this model, what would you say is a must add on for the rep to do once I have it in my hands?

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day :)
I like your questions! On the weight issue a Tungsten made bracelet, clasp and case will end up (almost) exactly the same weight as a full gold one eliminating (from my point of view anyway) the biggest tell between Rep and Gen.

Perhaps the experts on here can tell us/you where we can get a FULL Tungsten and YG plated instead of s/s? besides the CF one?

fussball9999

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/11/19
I like your questions! On the weight issue a Tungsten made bracelet, clasp and case will end up (almost) exactly the same weight as a full gold one eliminating (from my point of view anyway) the biggest tell between Rep and Gen.

Perhaps the experts on here can tell us/you where we can get a FULL Tungsten and YG plated instead of s/s? besides the CF one?

Thanks for your input.

So just to understand correctly:
I would have to buy a CF John Mayer with their bracelet, and then fully buy a different bracelet from a different factory, and exchange it with the one I have? Or can somebody "tungsten" an existing steel bracelet ?

Do you have a 116508? CF or BTF? I think I like the dial better with the CF, so thinking on pulling the trigger these days before Chinese holidays

fletch512

Known Member
9/5/06
On a side note, I recall reading that white gold and rose gold plating works better with tungsten than yellow gold plating. Is there any truth to that?

bhehe6813

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
13/7/16
On a side note, I recall reading that white gold and rose gold plating works better with tungsten than yellow gold plating. Is there any truth to that?
Rose gold might be easier because of the copper in it, copper and nickel plate onto everything.

White gold I do not know. Generally it has rhodium or palladium in it, but usually this is.

man5on90

Supporter
Certified
1/5/20
I think CF have nailed it with the dial. The BTF is a little to dark in my opinion.
I also think the bezel is far closer to gen than the other factories.

88timesaday

Horology Curious
21/1/24
Europe
I have been told that the Mod version is fitted with the Deep Crystal which means the hands and dials were therefore Modded to a much better quality compared to the hands and dials currently used on the equivalent non-modded versions. Also the Mod version is a 'weight gain' version too.

Correct me if Im wrong, but even a competitor recommended to me I buy this version and not the highest priced Non Mod.

Reaps

-
25/9/22
So now I am in two minds which to buy? The Mod version (as recommended by a TD competitor of Puretime), or a non mod? Price wise, $360 the difference 😦

or this one

Go the SW with the Clean base unless you REALLY want a tungsten/heavy weight version.

If you're going to ask me why, just use your eyes and look at both. QF has the weight but is inferior in every detail compared to the SWF variant, especially the dial....

That's all I'll give you - the rest, do your research.