• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Explorer 6610

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
So as many of you know I am explorer guy , but mostly been into the 6350 (for obvious reasons :love: ) and of course the 1016. for years but the 6610 has always been a second thought to me, and that was mostly because there were no reasonable parts available for one, specifically a gilt dial option in the aftermarket.

Cruising IG one day , I laid eyes on this beauty. 😍😍 and thought. Okay, maybe its time.

Since we now have such a great resource base and talented builders and dial makers such as @manodeoro This was the time to achieve this as He had fine tuning his dial making techniques during the pandemic and was now ready to offer his wares to obsessives such as myself.

(original 6610 advertising )

The 6610 was one of the earliest models within the Explorer line, having seen production for just a few years from 1955 until 1959 with the 6350 being its predecessor.

The Recipe :
Raffles explorer case
enlarged lug holes -Shaped / softened lugs
distressed and aged but a well cared for appearance
T21 Clarks crystal
modified raffles bezel - I may swap my JMB bezel on it but the higher angle give the case a nice bubble look that I am into right now
JMB bubbled caseback
Low beat Asian eta 2824
ghost date removed / 2 position setting lever
Raffles Brevet + crown - shaped
Cousins uk Gilt Tudor sub hand set - aged to match dial
Tiger Concepts white lollipop seconds hand - aged
and of course , last but not least, the Gilt gloss 6610 dial by Polaire watch makers of France.

:love::love:

with just the right amount of patina and aging to create a superb alternative to all other options available

Created on a gilt dial plate with ETA feet, the build went together flawlessly after aging the hands. (seen here with the Tudor seconds hand)
The Tiger Concepts hands were in transit.) I aged the lume one the dial slightly darker and did the hands to match .

When the TC Seconds hand arrived this week I wasted no time aging the lume and mounting it. Dropping it into the case set and buttoning it up

The moment everyone is waiting for...

My cam does not do the gilt details justice but I tried...

Again thanks to manodeoro for the outstanding dial that has added another grail to my collection

As always, comments and questions welcome.
Thanks for looking

Last edited:

Danster

Known Member
11/8/18
That is gorgeous mate..love the chapter ring and gilt! What was the overall build cost?

Reactions: 369mafia

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
That is gorgeous mate..love the chapter ring and gilt! What was the overall build cost?
Show Drama GIF by OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network

:ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Danster

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
UPDATE:
been enjoying the 6610 but its time to switch things up a bit.

so I think I am going to age the dial surface on this watch.

was thinking to resemble this :

nothing too wild. just the gloss finish detreating from age , uv and radium

think I figured out how I am going to go about it , now I just need the balls to do it. as I know these hand made dials aren't as durable as the raffles dials I dont think I will ruin the dial surface but I dont want to damage the lume if I dont like it and want to clean it and start again.

"Who dares, Wins"

Rolex_Explorer_6610_Gilt_Dial_AS00768_Culture2.jpg

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
So I took it apart last night and attempted to age the dial

I used a slightly diluted water based matte black paint. I thought this would give dullness without being too much of a contrast. subtle but noticeable.

how it started

trimmed a cheap old paint brush to get more control of the paint.
you can see the pattern I was able to achieve

results:

I also dulled the gilt hands and dirtied up the seconds hand a bit more along with the lume on the dial to age it further.
it looks rather drastic at this angle but its quite subtle on the wrist as you need to examine it closely to see the effects.

Its rather tricky to photograph the patina on the watch since it’s quite subtle.

I dont feel like I ruined it. In fact it’s hardly noticeable but when examining the watch. It does appear to be age appropriate for a 57’

Last edited: