• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Calling on 16570 experts

Svitzer

Renowned Member
22/1/17
Well, I guess the dial got relumed... Not the best job in my opinion. The markers on the bezel are re-painted as well. Crown guards are also not correct and dial is misaligned...hope you didn't spent too much ????

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

Are you sure the dial is relumed and it's not age? Just wondering since it might be an old (and not high quality) rep.

Between the lugs it says ''F520117'' as a reference, which when I enter it in Google leads to quite a few hits on 2006 replicas here on RWI and RWG.

Interesting if somebody can determine it's origin. :)

Wasn't expecting a high quality rep since I paid quite a fair amount. Just love the white dial, so happy to accept all flaws and errors. :)

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Are you sure the dial is relumed and it's not age? Just wondering since it might be an old (and not high quality) rep.

Between the lugs it says ''F520117'' as a reference, which when I enter it in Google leads to quite a few hits on 2006 replicas here on RWI and RWG.

Interesting if somebody can determine it's origin. :)

Wasn't expecting a high quality rep since I paid quite a fair amount. Just love the white dial, so happy to accept all flaws and errors. :)

Are the hour marker surrounds silver?

They were silver only on the 16570 predecessor, (the 16550) and toward the end of that run some of those got black marker surrounds or were replaced with service dials having the black marker surrounds. No 16550 dials had Swiss Made though and 16550s had silver hands too.

Is there a model number on the opposite case side between the lugs?

The dial is not misaligned, the bezel was pressed on a few degrees clockwise from center.

The CGs are definitely skinny for either the 16550 or 16570, they may have been polished. The top CG looks skinnier than the bottom one.

You could stand a new crystal, the cyclops is scratched pretty badly.

Have you had the caseback off to examine the movement?

Svitzer

Renowned Member
22/1/17
Are the hour marker surrounds silver?

They were silver only on the 16570 predecessor, (the 16550) and toward the end of that run some of those got black marker surrounds or were replaced with service dials having the black marker surrounds. No 16550 dials had Swiss Made though and 16550s had silver hands too.

Is there a model number on the opposite case side between the lugs?

The dial is not misaligned, the bezel was pressed on a few degrees clockwise from center.

The CGs are definitely skinny for either the 16550 or 16570, they may have been polished. The top CG looks skinnier than the bottom one.

You could stand a new crystal, the cyclops is scratched pretty badly.

Have you had the caseback off to examine the movement?

Thank you mate, that’s a very clear analysis. Attached a few extra close ups. CG are indeed not equally sized. Inside is a seagull movement, any idea which movement that is to possibly swap in the future?

Reactions: sukwonee

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
That's a pretty nice case but I hope you know it's not gen. There is no case cutout for the 3185 movement screws to be fitted, then rotated. And the stem and crown are way low in the case.

Look at the difference in my gen 3185 GMT vs a BP 2836. If you didn't know the gen 16710 case you see below is identical to the gen (same period) 16570 case except for the bezel and the markings.

Gen-BP-26-Medium.jpg

Gen-BP-7-Medium.jpg

Someone did a very nice job on the case shaping and brushing, the chamfers are a little slight but it looks really good. The engraving is very nice.

The movement is a standard 2836 GMT, these are readily available from Ebay/Chinese vendors. Seagull does not make them AFAIK, that's just the rotor. The handstack on these is wrong, the gen has the hour hand on the bottom. That's not greatly significant IMO, especially on black hands where it's very hard to discern.

That watch could stand some cleaning TLC for sure but would shine up pretty good. Not bad for a vintage vibe.

Last edited:

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
jyHfWb.jpg
jyHNJi.jpg
jyHFlp.jpg

Svitzer doesn't mine look a lot like yours ?

I know the pics don't quite catch it but the markers on mine are yellowed a little but not the hands. Minute tracker placements and bezel arrows look a lot like the one I own and mine is from 2006. Cartel.

Yours looks to have ICHS though.

Regardless, I think yours and mine are decent reps for what they are. I prefer it over BP personally.

Last edited:
Reactions: Svitzer and KJ2020

Svitzer

Renowned Member
22/1/17
KJ2020 Thank you for the info and comparison pics! Really interesting to see. And yes, fully aware I bought an old rep and accepting it as is - actually part of the charm in my opinion. :) Might swap in another movement and crystal for the TLC you mentioned. Will be in my collection for a long time I expect.

sukwonee I agree mate! It actually has various similarities. Cool that yours is CHS and I like the markers yellowed as well, mine are a bit too much in contrast with the hands but I can't complain. Agreed, I like the vintage reps more than I thought as well. Has some kind of a story instead of the fresh-factory BP ones. :)

Reactions: sukwonee and KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
KJ2020 Thank you for the info and comparison pics! Really interesting to see. And yes, fully aware I bought an old rep and accepting it as is - actually part of the charm in my opinion. :) Might swap in another movement and crystal for the TLC you mentioned. Will be in my collection for a long time I expect.

This is a great movement at an incredible price from a reliable seller. You can pay twice this from Helenarou. I just received one and it's running superbly OOTB

https://m.pt.aliexpress.com/item/400...6916b90aTBT4FN

IDK why links to AE are getting screwed up lately, but here's a pic of the vendor and the movement.

jy55wj.jpg

Clark's crystals with AR cyclops are great for these older models. Actually better than the old non AR gen crystals (blasphemy I know, but I call it like I see it).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255174139708

Last edited:

Googbert

Looking Around
4/11/21
Congratulations, you got yourself a really nice rep with a great neo-vintage vibe! I think both the case and the dial look great, almost fooled me into believing it's gen (I have a black dial gen from 2002). Don't look too closely and enjoy it as it is! Get the movement sorted and wear it proudly. The numbers on the bezel are much better than many others, correctly aligning it should not be too hard.
Definitely leave the dial alone, it almost looks like a beautifully aged tritium dial to me. In the gen-world, these are very sought after by collectors. The yellower, the better. Chicchi di Mais (corn kernels) they call the yellowed lume pots. It's OK if hands and dots have different colors.
Great find.

Reactions: Svitzer

d.brocke

I'm Pretty Popular
sukwonee

Wow: that certainly escaladed into a never ending fountain of 16570 knowledge and experience, did it not ?
( that's one of the many great things about this community: the never ending knowledge and experience and the awesome brothers and sisters that don't hesitate to share it. )

In regards to your vintage beauty, I'd have to agree with Googbert : sort out the mvt issues or whatever and wear it with pride.
Congrats: you've held on to a piece of rep history from a previous well known "Legend" and the fact that it's weathered the storm for as long as it has speaks volumes.

If it were me, I'd do nothing more than have it serviced and swap the date wheel ( keeping all the original parts ) and treasure it into the future.

d.brocke

I'm Pretty Popular
sukwonee

​​​​​​Wow: that certainly escaladed into a never ending fountain of 16570 knowledge and experience, did it not ?
( that's one of the many great things about this community: the never ending knowledge and experience and the awesome brothers and sisters that don't hesitate to share it. )

In regards to your vintage beauty, I'd have to agree with Googbert : sort out the mvt issues or whatever and wear it with pride.
Congrats: you've held on to a piece of rep history from a previous well known "Legend" and the fact that it's weathered the storm for as long as it has speaks volumes.

If it were me, I'd do nothing more than have it serviced and swap the date wheel (since you already have it) keeping all the original parts and treasure it into the future.
​​​​​​​Sure, there be more recent reps that better resemble their genuine counterpart but as for yours, "they just don't make 'em like that anymore"

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
I have never asked for QC help until now. Could really use some feedback. Two of these pics are from the TD. It is supposed to be a BP 2836. The crown guards look like they are eating the crown. And the lume dots look larger than they should be. I realize these are hard to come by these days and I shouldn’t be picky, maybe they are using a new case now to fix the SEL problem. At least the hands are black unlike the LF version. Does this look correct?
None of the other pics on this thread have squashed crown guards.
except in this other thread from the same TD
https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/rolex-tudor-replicas/9558771-explorer-16570

last pic is from a dhgate piece, case looks familiar

BB8-C3-F5-C-556-E-452-A-A726-78-BEB35-E3-AD6.jpg

9-E15-DBEC-60-E7-44-A4-A6-B7-146912-E508-C1.jpg

869-D84-B2-069-E-439-A-859-C-3-D706-D83-D4-E2.png

Last pic is a dhgate shitter. Looks familiar.

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I have never asked for QC help until now. Could really use some feedback. Two of these pics are from the TD. It is supposed to be a BP 2836. The crown guards look like they are eating the crown. And the lume dots look larger than they should be. I realize these are hard to come by these days and I shouldn’t be picky, maybe they are using a new case now to fix the SEL problem. At least the hands are black unlike the LF version. Does this look correct?
None of the other pics on this thread have squashed crown guards.
except in this other thread from the same TD
https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/rolex-tudor-replicas/9558771-explorer-16570

last pic is from a dhgate piece, case looks familiar

BB8-C3-F5-C-556-E-452-A-A726-78-BEB35-E3-AD6.jpg

9-E15-DBEC-60-E7-44-A4-A6-B7-146912-E508-C1.jpg

869-D84-B2-069-E-439-A-859-C-3-D706-D83-D4-E2.png

Last pic is a dhgate shitter. Looks familiar.

That does not look like any BP I've ever had bro. It looks thick, the CGs are terrible, the rehaut engraving is way tall, cyclops is bad, chamfers are too pronounced.

Compare to my last BP from Fat Panda

https://vimeo.com/438208148/5a4f15348a

What is the serial and clasp code, that might help ID it.

16082202247111.jpg

16056246971440.jpg

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
KJ2020

There is no pic provided of the inside of the clasp. It looks like the serial may be *832197

Two other people on Reddit have submitted QC pics in the last few weeks with the same watch same TD. The serial on theirs had 3238 and 83*378.
The cyclops looks bad in my pic but straight on isn’t horrible.
Fat panda could have sourced me one but wanted $438 plus shipping. This is $298 plus shipping, so not cheap, and looks like a dhgate quality case/rehaut.

I have never rejected a watch from a TD before and hate to be a stick in the mud but may reject this and focus my efforts on the VN case build that I was planning. Fat panda may be the only one with NOS BPF left.
Oh, and the #8 on the bezel looks very square and will bother the heck out of me. So I can’t even salvage that part for my VN build.
3681-D1-CF-1-D72-407-F-A9-CE-99-EEE1-F6-D661.jpg

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
BP has historically used M as the first digit on the serial number for their 16570s

Last edited:
Reactions: APjumbo

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

IDK it doesn't look terrible in this pic but it is a different case. At it's price point I could live with everything but the CGs and the rehaut engraving. Both are fairly easily remedied but it's not a good candidate for much more than a reasonably passable representation. A different kind of rep, as it were.

Mine are pretty much the same thing, but in all honesty I think a lot of older gens look worse. Just an opinion of course but a beat up look is not for me. Not meant to disparage vintage gens, their value is intrinsic. But I've always preferred a NOS look, which reps conveniently provide.

Reactions: APjumbo

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
Little update, the crown guards are annoyingly weird, lume is a hint too green for my liking, so it definitely has its flaws.
I kept my expectations SUPER low, and am happy I got it, on the wrist a lot of the little quirks vanish. The black hands look really cool, SEL and bracelet are ok, date seems a little over magnified but looks decent and is clear (not an expert here just a hunch) besides the “8” the bezel is nice and has a radial type brushing, case looks thick in photos but wears nice on wrist, so there’s lots to like to overlook the flaws.
This definitely will fill a little void until I get my franken in black finished.

Clasp code RS3
Serial M832197
5293617-B-7-AA6-4695-8335-5-D9-EAFFE805-E.jpg

62366548-2-CE3-411-E-8-D1-B-CDD6-D7898-E06.jpg

8-F6577-F0-4-B5-A-492-D-8-AAC-F07-A222537-EF.jpg

4-CA4-F612-9474-4-D01-A9-B7-CD4-A3-C8-E7-BD5.jpg

2-C53-FA68-D302-48-EE-85-A0-A650439-D60-B4.jpg

Last edited:

bowtiefanatc

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/11/12
Sorry to bump a dead thread, but I just picked up this 16570 from M2M and I’m trying to figure out what factory it’s from.

It’s an ICHS Swiss 2836 and one of the nicest 5 digit bracelets I’ve had on a rep.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It doesn’t have a typical 3 digit clasp code, it just has Z9. 78750 clasp on a 78790 bracelet. The flip lock and clasp is the sturdiest I’ve had on a 5 digit in as long as I can remember.

The clasp is not the correct size, just barely too long. Not a big deal, but might help identify.

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
KJ and I discussed this watch last week when it came up for sale. He thought maybe LF factory. Date is in ETA position, date font is wrong, Font on bezel is thin. The good news was it's a Swiss ETA.

bowtiefanatc

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/11/12
KJ and I discussed this watch last week when it came up for sale. He thought maybe LF factory. Date is in ETA position, date font is wrong, Font on bezel is thin. The good news was it's a Swiss ETA.

Makes sense. I have a gen bezel sitting and will likely do a VR swap if that will work.

The dial is nice, but there is basically no lume. I have another dial that also needs lume, but fits the 3186 movement.

Thanks for your help!