• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Any thoughts on the new RO?

Lorentzo

4/5/10
Hi!
Do you guys have any opinions regarding the new ap royal oak jumbo? A few of the trusted dealers list it on their websites for 328$ and it is supposed to be made 1:1 (probably not, but Im new to AP so I can't really see any big difference compared to the gen) with a genuine watch as reference. I have been in contact with Lay (great dealer btw, Im very impressed with his communication so far) and he says he can get it for me. Is the new one a good version or should I go with an older one? I know that the movement does not look correct, but that is not a big deal for me since I care most about the face of the watch.

What do I have to look for in the qc pictures if I choose to go with this model?

Also can there be other alternatives than ap ro for me? Maybe it is wrong to ask this kind of question in the AP section :p I'm looking for a dress watch that should be as thin as possible, have metal bracelet but still look a bit sporty and not have the "old man's watch look". I think that the AP RO is the best alternative out there but maybe there are other watches that will be more suited for my needs..

Here is a link to the watch I am asking about:
http://www.yourtrustytime.com/index...d=6864&zenid=3b216d9aa9e038abd381b415cb2c36ea

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
the watch is ok, but the gen caseback is closed. So if you do not show the watch to an expert, go for it.I will get it one day. BTW, you can find the 36 mm with closed caseback. my friend pix has one

SpootyPuff

I'm Pretty Popular
19/6/10
It has both open and closed caseback, I just don't know the year/model appropriate for the caseback style.

Guru, got a link for the 36mm?

I tried the jumbo @ an AD and I feel the 36mm would wear better

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
It has both open and closed caseback, I just don't know the year/model appropriate for the caseback style.

Guru, got a link for the 36mm?

I tried the jumbo @ an AD and I feel the 36mm would wear better

I will ask Pix

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Sure, the jumbo version has a display caseback, it's irectly visible on AP's website.

000018-006.772.jpg

But the 36mm version has a closed caseback, see my reviewthread :
http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/review-my-audemars-piguet-royal-19859p2
http://www.timetunnel-jp.com/AP_14790ST_dark_grey.html
http://www.timetunnel-jp.com/AP_14790ST_darkgrey_used2.html

Lorentzo

4/5/10
Nice reviews! Im beginning to think about purchasing the 36mm instead now.. But maybe it is too small for me? My wrist is 17,5 cm around (I think it is approximately 7 inches) and I will probably not grow smaller by time.

I am not so concerned about the movement, Id rather have the open caseback even though the movement looks wrong as Id love to be able to look at the movement once in a while without opening the watch.

Klockis how does the 39mm wear? If you have worn it under a shirt/suit, does it fit under the shirt cuff? To try and fit my 111h under a tight shirt cuff is an impossible project...

mbjoer

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/09
They look quite the same to me too.
According to specs the new (and expensive) one is slightly bigger than the other one.
And the cheap one has a nicer looking movement with more gold. Both are incorrect.

The price difference looks mostly to be inflation. But perhaps things are different in real life. The dealer site pics are often not very good.

Klockis

Renowned Member
5/5/10

I could be wrong but I dont think they make the $288 model anymore.

Klockis how does the 39mm wear? If you have worn it under a shirt/suit, does it fit under the shirt cuff? To try and fit my 111h under a tight shirt cuff is an impossible project...

Not a problem at all!
I wear shirts and suit all week and there is no problem. Wears very thin.

This (15300) and the MBW 15202 are my dresswatches I get complimented on the most.
And I have a couple of IWC 3714 Portuguese..
These are so good I'm thinking of picking up a white dial as well :D

Lorentzo

4/5/10
Not a problem at all!
I wear shirts and suit all week and there is no problem. Wears very thin.

This (15300) and the MBW 15202 are my dresswatches I get complimented on the most.
And I have a couple of IWC 3714 Portuguese..
These are so good I'm thinking of picking up a white dial as well :D

Ok that really was the final push over the edge :D now I am 100% sure I will order it!

I will start with the white one, but I know I'll be wanting a black dress watch too in a while. Probably that one will be either another ap ro maybe 15202, or an iwc Portuguese...

Lorentzo

4/5/10
Have a look here: http://www.rwgforum.com/topic/103961-completed-watches-are-arrived-modifiaction-mbw-ap-jumbo/ - I understand they had a custom batch made... Hope I haven't breached any RWI policy (if I have, Mods, pls delete)

Yeah I've been in contact with him. I think his version is a little expensive though, considering the only real advantage over the 15300 I can notice at a quick glance is the solid caseback. But a member over at repgeek has offered to send me some pictures of his 15202 from rolexfinder. Maybe I will reconsider..

I'm thinking like this regarding the 15300:

Pros:
Second hand - I like to look at the floating second hand
Open back - I like it
Screws are already silver colour and has a good fit with the bezel (i think the screws looks better on the 15300 than the modded 15202s)
Price :)

Cons:
Second hand wrong shape
Wrong datefont - no big deal for me
Movement way off - could be avoided by buying the 15202 with solid caseback