• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Going to buy a Seamaster 300m SS/RG VSF from Trusty

Gorilla Glue

Looking Around
19/9/22
Hi and welcome! And, last but not least, thumbs up for having done some of your homeworks before pulling the trigger on a such amazing watch 

Have you ever had the chance to see the gen live, maybe at a AD? The way sedna (Omega call RG in this way) contast with the dark dial is literally stunning! 

Finally, may I suggest you to think about starting your own thread about your purchase?

Route66

24/4/21
I think I was comparing too much to the marketing pictures on the Omega website...
Probably has a lot of photoshopping done to it... :)
Yes, pics on gen webistes have a lot of "CGI"
By the way, I saw you in another post replying in Italian.
Are you from Italy?

I gave some family-in-law over there!
Who knows, maybe the cold beers can actually happen somewhere in the distant future! :D
Yes again, and, as you may have noticed yourself, people with italian blood have a great taste :cool:

Reactions: Japie89

Route66

24/4/21
The crown and tube assembly on almost all VSF watches with screw down crowns is rubbish. If you use the crown frequently it will 100% strip within months and become unuseable. I’ve had 3 VSF watches do this to me now….. no more VSF screw down crown watches for me now…. ever
While I agree with you that threads stripping is the most common failure on VSF SMP, I wouldn't extend this issue to the whole VSF screw-down crown watch production. I have never heard about this failure on Rolex Sub range, for instance.
But yeah, Omega is not Rolex and customer base is narrower, so figures are smaller, so Kaizen investments are smaller. And after 4 years we still have short crown guards, yellowish lume and stripping threads :cautious:
But hurrah, we now have a black balance wheel 😶‍🌫️

For this very part number, I anyway still consider VSF as the best buy:
  • JVS use a lot of VSF components, so I don't expect a better behaviour.
  • ZF still don't have this part number in their catalogue.
  • ORF winding is unidirectional, the poor finishing of the red writings on the movement is kinda famous and bezel is far from being accurate: take a look at how recessed (much more than VSF) are the pip triangle and the small dots, while they should be flush

I consider these rep's as (expensive) toys for grown-up kids, so I don't expect them to be long lasting.
But hey, at least I have an excuse to buy a new one, maybe in a different color if my taste has changed, without feeling guilty 😆

Japie89

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/1/23
Belgium
UPDATE: got a new batch of QC pics after asking for some additional pictures (mentioned in a previous post).

Pros:
- No more noticeable lume spill on 12h mark.
- No artifacts / lens glare anymore.
- Bonus: casing on the back in line with wristband.
- Bonus: even more accurate now.

Cons:
- Looked to me like some screws were missing (see green square), so replied back to look into this.

3epGlv.jpg

3epbAj.jpg

3epSF1.jpg

3epFaK.jpg

3epx64.jpg

3epJvI.jpg

3epcjc.jpg

3epgOX.jpg

3eCDki.jpg

Japie89

30/1/23
Belgium
UPDATE: Got some new pics regarding my notification of missing screws.

Looks all good to me now, so I'm gonna give green light to send the watch.

3eCHFF.jpg

3eCzap.jpg

3eC3p5.jpg

Reactions: Route66

Route66

24/4/21
Cons:
- Looked to me like some screws were missing (see green square), so replied back to look into this.

3epcjc.jpg

3eCDki.jpg
This is a ZF bracelet, but at least you can understand the structure of that area.

BTW, very solid timegraph here, featuring perfect figures (for the value they might have, since those figures depend on the watch position and current power reserve).

UPDATE: Got some new pics regarding my notification of missing screws.

Looks all good to me now, so I'm gonna give green light to send the watch.

Let the waiting begin! 🤩

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
Solid information in this post. Enjoyed reading through so far - hope the watch arrives safely. Never had issues myself

Japie89

30/1/23
Belgium
Hi everyone!

First of all, my apologies about the wait for an update about the watch.
Had it in the back of my mind for a while, but kept postponing it...

@Got20Mate & @roger.w - Here is the rest of the story, as well as some wrist shots.
Also thanks for reminding me I still needed to do this! :)

Also again a big thanks to @Route66 - I haven't forgotten the support I got from you and I'm still very grateful for your guidance!
If we ever do meet, the first round is still on me! ;)

In summary:
I have been using this Seamaster 200m SS/RG as a daily driver for the past few months and am very happy with my purchase!

What I bought:
https://trustytime888.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35_66&products_id=20496

Timeline:
  • Watch order placed with Trusty: January 31st 2023
  • First QC pics: February 13th 2023
  • Second QC pics: February 16th 2023
  • Tracking info received on: February 22nd 2023
  • Pickup watch from postoffice in Belgium: March 2nd 2023
So all-in-all the entire process took around a month and I have been using it as a daily driver for almost 7 months.

Experience with the seller (TrustyTime):
This was my first time doing this, so I half expected to be ripped off almost immediately.

However, this turned out to be one of the best retail connections I had in the past year:
  • Every contact I had with the seller was very courteous and professional.
  • Every remark I had was dealt with.
  • Responses were quick and helpful.
  • The watch arrived very well packaged.
    (I will include some pictures of the packaging as well, because this is definitely worth mentioning and showing.)
If (or when) I do this again, TrustyTime would be on the top of my seller list (based on this experience alone of course).

Only a small remark about the seller:
I was told it would take 10-12 days for QC pics and had to eventually send a mail asking what was the hold-up (on February 13th).
They didn't answer that question, but they did send the QC pics later that same day.

About the watch:
The Seamaster 200m rep arrived very well packaged.

Included in the package, was a "warranty" card and (to my surprise) a second bracelet!
This bracelet is the same as shown here: https://trustytime888.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35_66&products_id=20495.
Seeing as I had to decide between this watch and the one I actually bought, this is an amazing bonus for me!

Another bonus was the fact that the main bracelet has a divers extension, which wasn't mentioned in any of the descriptions (as far as I saw).
The bracelet was also very easy to adjust and I was able to remove 2 links without any trouble.
(I bought a watch kit after reading some feedback, which did come in handy.)

The watch has proven to be reliable, sturdy and a perfect companion for me.
It is also remarkably scratch and dent resistent (just some minor scratches on the clasp which could easily be removed).
(Most of the pictures are taken today (after 7 months of daily use), so please judge for yourself!)

It goes mostly ignored by friends, family and coworkers but when they do notice it, most are very positive about it.
The 1 or 2 times I came across someone who actually recognized it as an Omega Seamaster, they almost didn't believe it was a rep.
(I'm always completely open and honest about this fact.)

I'm also pleasantly surprised about the accuracy and energy reserves.
Of course no one should be expecting anything close to a gen from a rep in this regard, but I'm definitely happy with what it offers.

Energy reserve:
If I leave the watch after an entire day of wearing it, all movement stops around 36 hours later (1,5 days).

Accuracy:
The first month I was setting the time every day to be the same with the clock on my laptop to the second.
By the end of the day, it usually was off by 10 seconds at best to around 40 seconds at worst.
Mostly behind the clock on my computer, but once or twice it was actually ahead.

However, I did notice this seems to stabilise if not setting the watch daily.
So now, I just sync the watch on a weekly basis with the clock on my pc and it's usually only around 30 seconds max behind by then.

2 remarks about the watch:
I was warned by @Teamjlf about using the crown and did notice some weird behaviour.
Nothing audible or visual but when using it to adjust and wind the watch extensively, it can "feel" like it's struggling.
However, when just using it as a daily driver and setting the time once a week, it's more than okay and I don't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Other thing to note is the fact that the jewel (with triangle) on the bezel doesn't line up 100% with the 12h mark on the dial.
I'm able to push the bezel back a bit so it's okay, but when just leaving it where it wants to be it's ever so slightly off...
I had to learn to live with it and now I don't notice it anymore (although I usually nudge it until it looks right).

Pictures:
See next post! :)

Feel free to ask additional questions/tips/feedback/...

Japie89

30/1/23
Belgium
These are pictures I took when I just got it out of the packaging + after adjusting the bracelet.

Japie89

30/1/23
Belgium
Additional things to mention, I forgot in previous posts.
(Why no edit function? :confused:).

1. Can't believe I forgot to mention I ended up paying around 30USD too much because I used the wrong currency.
    This was entirely my fault but after getting in touch with Trusty, they refunded the surplus immediately.
    I cannot recommend this seller enough! (y)
  2. Final price for the watch was 382,85 USD.
  3. I'm in love with the front glass. At times, it almost seems like it isn't there and I could just touch the dial. 😁

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
Thanks for the update and great write up. Enjoyed! And I'm glad you've enjoyed the watch so far, I think this rep is fantastic and certainly makes it onto my wrist regularly.

Route66

24/4/21
Beautiful watch and it fits your wrist amazingly well! (y)
I'm happy to see that your shopping experience was a pleasant one and you are satisfied with your purchase.
Fitting the rubber strap might be a good idea next summer ;)
And the "plating" is holding quite well, isn't it?
Feel free to join the Show me the world through your watch thread. we definitely need more Seamasters down there!

Japie89

30/1/23
Belgium
I'm happy to see that your shopping experience was a pleasant one and you are satisfied with your purchase.
Feel free to join the Show me the world through your watch thread. we definitely need more Seamasters down there!
Great tip about the rubber strap, I will definitely do that!
(And probably post some additional pics.)

Same for the thread! :)

Japie89

30/1/23
Belgium
Oh, and yes, the plating is holding up stunningly well!
Was kinda worried about that when I bought the watch.

But for now, apart from the clasp taking some scratches, there is not a mark on there.