• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

APSF VS GEN 15400 DIAL

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
I'm sorry, maybe I explained myself badly, I hoped it was clear. It is obvious that I should choose the one I like best or that I could keep them both.
But having them both represents for me a personal tell too obvious, so I thought to keep the one that between the two, white or black, has the dial less distant from the gen. I hope it is clear now and I apologize for my English which is inevitably translated. Thank you.

In the first page i have took many pictures comparing black gen and apsf dial . Also another member some posts after has a comparison between gen white and apsf white dial .

Please have a look and you can decide wich one suites better for you(wich is closer to gen in your case).

For someone that knows how a gen dial is it will know that this is a rep dial no matter the color.

So thats why the answer will always be: the one you like more.

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
Today ill post one comparison between gen datewheel and APSF by a Chinese modding lab
here is a gen dw and gen hands:
And here is the comparison between the apsf(outside the watch) and gen dw(inside the watch)

With translation he says:
The genuine calendar font is clear and three-dimensional with moderate thickness. The original(apsf) calendar font is too thick, and the 20 font "2" and "0" are connected.

Reactions: LeBron

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I'm sorry, maybe I explained myself badly, I hoped it was clear. It is obvious that I should choose the one I like best or that I could keep them both.
But having them both represents for me a personal tell too obvious, so I thought to keep the one that between the two, white or black, has the dial less distant from the gen. I hope it is clear now and I apologize for my English which is inevitably translated. Thank you.

No worries. And thank you for explaining.

I often read about members wanting to buy watches which are “closer to gen” and I am puzzled why this is being asked.

If members cannot tell which is closer to gen for them and need the opinions of others, it is strange, because they will be wearing a watch based on the opinions of themselves instead of one which they like more. A rep is a rep and no matter which is “closer to gen” they are all reps, even one with a gen dial or hands.
So pick what you like and if you really like it, think about frankening it like j21 did with his watch or buy the gen eventually.

Replica watches are meant to be worn for guns and replica APs like all other brand replica, are flawed and meant to be worn for novelty and shouldn’t be used to convince others that they’re gen. If you’re concerned about being called out, the only way is to get the gen because even if nobody around you knows that it’s a replica, you will always do.

And because I’m feeling helpful, keep the black. :legend:

Reactions: j21

Plenitude

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
23/3/22
Yes, thank you.
But if someone that called Legend, the AP dragon tells me to keep the black….. i do ????

Reactions: legend and j21

Plenitude

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
23/3/22
Yes, it’s this ;) not 3 question markers

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
While waiting for my watch , i ll try to post infos that i find regarding 15400 parts and modding ideas, if someone has something please post it and enhance the thread

Wechat is like a kindergarten for us
Gen parts and modding ideas everywhere

As said before , the most famous franken 15400 build at Asia is the same i done also, APSF 15400+GEN DIAL HANDS DW
Edit: I dont speak Chinese and this words under the photos can not be coppied in order to be translated , if any member can chime in and help with translation would be awesome

Some pics now:
j05J7S.jpg
j05c3Q.jpg
j05xrW.jpg
j05bLP.jpg
j05gyL.jpg
j0UDwR.jpg
j0UZc8.jpg
j0U3Cv.jpg
j0UzmK.jpg

Last edited:

Dantona1984

6/2/17
England
Great thread guys, very informative. Has anyone tried to install a gen bracelet to the APSF case? I believe the JF is a perfect fit (for a gen bracelet) so this would surely make it the better choice.

Also, I’ve noticed very few gen crowns and bezels are used in making this type of Franken. I assume the rep copies are really good.

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
Great thread guys, very informative. Has anyone tried to install a gen bracelet to the APSF case? I believe the JF is a perfect fit (for a gen bracelet) so this would surely make it the better choice.

Also, I’ve noticed very few gen crowns and bezels are used in making this type of Franken. I assume the rep copies are really good.

Thank you
Yes , gen bracelet fits the APSF case, after gen dial-hands-dw bracelet is also change that modders have made

The AP logo at the crown has small difference, the guy that i bought the gen dw had also a gen crown unopened in original package so i am thinking it for the future but is not a priority imo

Bezel also has a small difference at the outside part, this is what i want to be my next change

Reactions: Dantona1984

suppish

Supporter
Certified
1/10/17
Do you have any contacts that can do the APS + gen dial/hands/dw build?

My chinese is limited but some of the text is just saying “white/black gen dial”.

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
Do you have any contacts that can do the APS + gen dial/hands/dw build?

My chinese is limited but some of the text is just saying “white/black gen dial”.

I just searched and bought every part and the watch separate and i send it to one of our trusted watchmakers for assembly

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
Nice 15400 franken with real 18k gold case
*Pics from a wechat contact

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
Browsing AP official site today.

and waiting for my watch patiently(or not:legend:)

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Browsing AP official site today.

and waiting for my watch patiently(or not:legend:)

Sadly the clone 3120 and the AP 3120 are poles apart in terms of finish, quality and of course the date change type, something which I cannot figure why the rep makers cannot get it to work like the gen considering they “cloned” the movement parts.
Looking forward to see you build, I am sure it is something to congratulate you over.

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
Sadly the clone 3120 and the AP 3120 are poles apart in terms of finish, quality and of course the date change type, something which I cannot figure why the rep makers cannot get it to work like the gen considering they “cloned” the movement parts.
Looking forward to see you build, I am sure it is something to congratulate you over.

My main goal is to create a "gen" on the wrist,so i don't care about the movement except from the slow date change(lets hope they fix this in the futture, if not well what can i do) for now with the gen dial gen hands gen datewheel i have a good start.

Next upgrades will be done when my funds allow it again Already have spent 990usd for dial, 1000usd for hands,600usd for datewheel,508usd for the apsf, plus whatever the assembly will cost. So I'm ok with that for now

next steps?
Have found a gen crown-> 600euros
gen glass->400euros
Gen bezel-> 500euros

But not now, after some months

For the glass i am not sure, i dont know if will make any difference,perhaps the gen could be little more clear but is it a tell? I dont know

Anyway the journey continues

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
My main goal is to create a "gen" on the wrist,so i don't care about the movement except from the slow date change(lets hope they fix this in the futture, if not well what can i do) for now with the gen dial gen hands gen datewheel i have a good start.

Next upgrades will be done when my funds allow it again Already have spent 990usd for dial, 1000usd for hands,600usd for datewheel,508usd for the apsf, plus whatever the assembly will cost. So I'm ok with that for now

next steps?
Have found a gen crown-> 600euros
gen glass->400euros
Gen bezel-> 500euros

But not now, after some months

For the glass i am not sure, i dont know if will make any difference,perhaps the gen could be little more clear but is it a tell? I dont know

Anyway the journey continues

It’ll be a very nice rep after all the above is done.

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
Here is a rep datewheel like the ones used in the new 3120 clone
how you can tell between gen?
The tell is that the numbers are thicker, that makes them closer to edges and also closer between them(for example at 20 the number 2 and the 0 is almost touching each other at gen it has a distinct gap)

Also the numbers at gen dw are more 3d than the rep one

If you are in franken procces of a 15400 and you already have a dial and hands, the dw is a nice final touch

Reactions: asanibal

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Here is a rep datewheel like the ones used in the new 3120 clone
how you can tell between gen?
The tell is that the numbers are thicker, that makes them closer to edges and also closer between them(for example at 20 the number 2 and the 0 is almost touching each other at gen it has a distinct gap)

Also the numbers at gen dw are more 3d than the rep one

If you are in franken procces of a 15400 and you already have a dial and hands, the dw is a nice final touch

Thank you for sharing J. I’ll also like to know if there is a difference in the teeth, as even between datewheel batches in the gen I’ve seen slight differences. Thank you once again.

Reactions: Allure