• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Can you help me spot the flaws

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
no, the little hero watch is not mine, i would not be in the right frame of mind to get a $1200 rep, for that price, i would rather spend 2.5times the money and get a gen!!

And to answer your question
Seriously nobody ever asked me about my watches, most people cannot even spell panerai.. the movement ridges looks very obvious in pictures, but in real life it is almost not noticable.

And for this LH rep, for me the only tell for me is the movement, but surely you don't wear the watch movement side up? LoL!!

. I guess you're not trying to sell it as a real one, just pass it off. I'm sure most people would not notice.

No, rep collection is a hobby for me.. :headdesk:

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
No, rep collection is a hobby for me..

I think this is the most important lesson you should take away from this forum.

This group of people are enthusiasts that appreciate design, form, function, and enjoy the labor of getting a rep to be as close as possible to the gen. We don't buy/wear these to impress others; we do it for ourselves. My purpose for collecting reps? #1) I smile every time I look at my wrist, and #2) I can have an assortment of reps that, in gen dollars, would be in the hundreds of thousands and well out of my reach.

You'll find there are no posers here. I'm not saying they don't exist in the rep world (see here: http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/completly-owned-jewelry-store-watch-25667) but they aren't among us. :)

Please enjoy your stay, and maybe you'll get a different view of what you think the replica world is all about!

Cheers.

pfft

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/4/10
I think this is the most important lesson you should take away from this forum.

This group of people are enthusiasts that appreciate design, form, function, and enjoy the labor of getting a rep to be as close as possible to the gen. We don't buy/wear these to impress others; we do it for ourselves. My purpose for collecting reps? #1) I smile every time I look at my wrist, and #2) I can have an assortment of reps that, in gen dollars, would be in the hundreds of thousands and well out of my reach.

You'll find there are no posers here. I'm not saying they don't exist in the rep world (see here: http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/completly-owned-jewelry-store-watch-25667) but they aren't among us. :)

Please enjoy your stay, and maybe you'll get a different view of what you think the replica world is all about!

Cheers.

I think the modding of them is cool, but there are quite a few poseurs out there rocking fakes off as real. People are suckered every day buying fakes thinking they are real. I saw a long time Omega collector get fooled and even wore it for a year before some one on a forum noticed it was a fakie! Lucky for him AMEX had his back after ebay and paypal told him to shove it. I've been collecting for a few years and most of my friends know I like watches. Many of them have brought me fakes that they have bought thinking they were real. Luckily they only paid a few hundred and not thousands! IMO if it's to good of a deal you just have to walk away.

From browsing here, I could tell that the group seems more into modding them than passing them off as real, but I still wanted to ask. Although interesting I'm still against replicas as they are illegal, and take away from the company that designed and produced them.

As for pronouncing Panerai , you're very correct haha. I had a guy trying to tell me about some great fake "Panera" watches that he could buy from a "guy" he knew.
I was wearing my 177 and helped him out a bit on the the word PAN ER I. He was asking if mine was real or not :wacko:.

Like I said before I did not come here to be a dick.I don't see you guys on the GEN forums trying to justify your replicas! Hell if any thing this is a good place to learn on what to look out for. The crown guards have came a LONG way. I think lots of people would be shocked to see that.

Edit

I just read that link you posted. haha What a dork. Oh I had my cool keys hanging out and an ed hardy shirt on....

That dude is a super douche. I'll go to a jewler wearing a real Seiko and try on UNs with out problems. I've had every thing on from my Panerai to G-shocks. If you don't go in acting like an Ed Hardy 30KDM then you won't get treated like that. MAN what a super douche.

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
in fact if any of our members are found post reps on gen forums they will be banned instantly... this is one of our unspoken rules..

Trust me ,we have our network to find out culprits!!!

pfft

27/4/10
in fact if any of our members are found post reps on gen forums they will be banned instantly... this is one of our unspoken rules..

Trust me ,we have our network to find out culprits!!!

Ha, if not banned from the Gen forums. Hell when you put it in with a bunch of brand fanboi's it's not going to take long to figure it out.

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
I've seen a post on Paneristi that showed an older Davidsen 026 rep that left more than one 'Risti scratching their heads. Not to mention there was an infamous member here that passed his 000 rep off as gen on Risti and at a GTG (he was banned).

Takashi and I managed to get a kid banned on one of the Breitling boards, as he was trying to buy a Chrono Avenger rep from Taka and had offered to sell it to someone on that board (via PM) for $2K, the guy thought he would have been buying a gen.

Bottom line is this: EVERY forum has asshats and every forum has scammers. It doesn't mean they should be tolerated here, just because this is a rep forum.

Fiddo

-----
Patron
Certified
16/2/09
In a Causal Loop
From browsing here, I could tell that the group seems more into modding them than passing them off as real, but I still wanted to ask. Although interesting I'm still against replicas as they are illegal, and take away from the company that designed and produced them.

Well, replicas aren't "illegal" everywhere. Also, I did not even know what Panerai was when I found this board a litttle over a year. By looking at the reps, I subsequently purchased a genuine Panerai and am now thinking of purchasing another. So, I believe at least Panerai has received some sort of postive marketing from the rep community.

Regardless, I hope you stick around. We really like to talk about watches, movements, straps and all that stuff. Oh........"Nice Watch". :)

pfft

27/4/10
Well, replicas aren't "illegal" everywhere. Also, I did not even know what Panerai was when I found this board a litttle over a year. By looking at the reps, I subsequently purchased a genuine Panerai and am now thinking of purchasing another. So, I believe at least Panerai has received some sort of postive marketing from the rep community.

Regardless, I hope you stick around. We really like to talk about watches, movements, straps and all that stuff. Oh........"Nice Watch". :)

Thanks for the welcome and congrats on the real deal. Although I can't say I know to many places where counterfeiting is legal.
I mean in some countries it's okay to screw lil kids, that does not make it right :/

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
I think Fiddo was saying that in places, like the US, it isn't illegal to OWN reps (unlike some other countries), it is only illegal to manufacture/distribute them.

Again, I have owned 3 gen PAMs and will be buying another next summer. So, Panerai isn't hurt by my interest in replica watches, either.

pfft

27/4/10
I don't want to get to far off track. I'll agree to disagree on those points. You guys seem nice and welcoming and I appreciative it. I'm here to learn about reps to keep myself safe as I often deal with second hand or LNIB watches.

Cheers.

Ryan

pfft

27/4/10
I think Fiddo was saying that in places, like the US, it isn't illegal to OWN reps (unlike some other countries), it is only illegal to manufacture/distribute them.

Again, I have owned 3 gen PAMs and will be buying another next summer. So, Panerai isn't hurt by my interest in replica watches, either.

AFAIK you can also get in a lot of trouble for buying one and bringing it into the country. A man was stopped at customs, he had bought 6 fakes for his grand kids.

He was fined the full value of each watch.

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
AFAIK you can also get in a lot of trouble for buying one and bringing it into the country. A man was stopped at customs, he had bought 6 fakes for his grand kids.

He was fined the full value of each watch.

One watch on his wrist wouldn't create any problem, but he had SIX, customs were bound to find them and take action.

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
I can certainly respect and understand that. If you come across something you're interested in that you think may not be legit - please post it up here and we'll be glad to help. As we said before, we don't want to see anyone get taken advantage of and we do not tolerate that behavior from anyone in our community.

I don't want to get to far off track. I'll agree to disagree on those points. You guys seem nice and welcoming and I appreciative it. I'm here to learn about reps to keep myself safe as I often deal with second hand or LNIB watches.

Cheers.

Ryan

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State

Cheers.

Ryan

Welcome to RWI.

Less than half of my collection consists of reps and that ratio will become smaller. I'm here to learn about watches and hang with what I consider a great bunch of watch enthusiasts. You may come to the same place if you hang around, which I hope you do!

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Ha, if not banned from the Gen forums. Hell when you put it in with a bunch of brand fanboi's it's not going to take long to figure it out.

Actually a lot of them stay up with heaps of congrats on your new watch type comments until one of us gives the admin a heads up ( I have a contact on most of the big gen fora to share info about scammers and rip-off artistes). Most gen owners know surprisingly little about the finer details of their watches. Mostly because they have no reason to obsess over tiny details. Hell, there is more variation in a gen LV's insert colour than in the reps!

Col.