• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Project "RWI Raffle Win"... a 1675 Build

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
I can never get a clean application of the stuff because of the hair-fine strand that is whisped across my work as I move the needle-point applicator off the target surface. Did I just get a bad tube or is it always like that?

I have not had that problem. I do keep a ! QueTip and or toothpick dipped in acetone handy to remove any excess glue.

Reactions: p0pperini

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
as I see Cmaster there are conflicting opinions, you feel better with gs hypo ?
These products really aren’t expensive, my advice would be to buy it ALL and try it out, see what works for you!

Thanks everyone for the glue tips - collectively you’ve helped us cement our thinking on the subject, and we can avoid getting in a sticky situation in future, by gum!

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I hope everyone stays glued to this thread...

a short update - progress on the dial. I really only needed to sand the paint off the rim of the donor GMT II dial in order for it to fit nice and snug. I then sanded the paint off it’s face with 1500 then 8000 grit sandpaper. I’ll polish it on the buffer to get a nice mirror finish before applying the dial transfer. Here it is after the basic sanding, loosely test-fitted.

o99nk.jpg

I also printed and cut out a paper version of the dial design to check the fit. Since posting my last version of the artwork I’ve completely revised it, and it's now a copy of the refinished gen dial MQ was selling for 6000 euros (which was a true gilt dial from the 1960s, whereas my previous design was copied from a later, 1970s white printed dial).

o9nuo.jpg

Reactions: bigtiddygothgf

chubbychaser911

31/10/19
Okay so the milk bezel as delivered will just spin freely. I read some posts and figured out the magic sauce. Just bend the flat washer spring and voila. I bent it in like 5 spots and I wasn't gentle. A real crease at each point. Now it's perfectly solid when in the position you want. When you want to turn it, just press down and you can feel the spring depress and then you turn it easily. Let go and it stays in position. This was really bothering me. I removed and replaced the bezel like 10 times trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. My advice don't be scared to bend that friction spring.

chubbychaser911

31/10/19
nobby you're going to use a decal to create your dial? I guess they are matte so it would be perfectly fine. I'll be interested in the final product.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
nobby you're going to use a decal to create your dial? I guess they are matte so it would be perfectly fine. I'll be interested in the final product.
The decal itself is matte, but there will be gloss lacquer over the dial - the early gilt dials had gloss black printing of the dial face. The decal material is Sunnyscopa “film free” which should result in a look that’s close to how the gens were printed. We’ll see... :)

The Fetishist

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/1/20
tripdog even your advice would be welcome, what do you use to glue the date and the dial to the ring

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18
I hope everyone stays glued to this thread...

a short update - progress on the dial. I really only needed to sand the paint off the rim of the donor GMT II dial in order for it to fit nice and snug. I then sanded the paint off it’s face with 1500 then 8000 grit sandpaper. I’ll polish it on the buffer to get a nice mirror finish before applying the dial transfer. Here it is after the basic sanding, loosely test-fitted.

o99nk.jpg

I also printed and cut out a paper version of the dial design to check the fit. Since posting my last version of the artwork I’ve completely revised it, and it's now a copy of the refinished gen dial MQ was selling for 6000 euros (which was a true gilt dial from the 1960s, whereas my previous design was copied from a later, 1970s white printed dial).

o9nuo.jpg

what did you fill the applied marker holes with on the blank?

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
what did you fill the applied marker holes with on the blank?
They've filled up with the paint that was being sanded from the dial face. The film free decal is glued on, so the glue should bind the dust, and then there's lume to be applied over the top of that, so all in all they're not something to worry about.

Reactions: bigtiddygothgf

Redheart

17/5/19
:popcorn2:

It's coming together nicely!
As the dial is snug in the case, you can make any kind of custom movement ring and it will stay secure!

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
you can make any kind of custom movement ring and it will stay secure!
Haha, thanks Redheart, I love your cheery optimism and "can do" approach..! Unfortunately I don't have any spare stock of movement rings, let alone any easy way to customise one... I guess I could cannibalise a watch I already have... Nah, I think I'll wait for the one I ordered from Raffles to arrive. :)

Redheart

17/5/19
Hehe, I forgot you had ordered it! This is way better and is a damn luxury that 50$ ring!

Looking at macro shots of gen Gilt dial I can see the brushing rather than mirror gold on that particular 1675 Gilt chapterless dial

Last edited:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
So, a "non-progress" update... The movement ring and hands arrived from Raffles - I ordered the wrong size movement ring. :)

I then got distracted by my new Franken 16610, and spent probably 2 hours messing about with bracelet options on my other two 16610s for a planned group photo shoot, but in the end I'd spent so long fannying around that I lost interest in doing the photography bit... I'd found myself in need of another set of 501B end links and ordered those (and the right size movement ring).

Then I tried to get creative with my insert ageing - I've already done a bleaching session but I want to get the lovely graduated fade that is so characteristic of aged 1675 inserts, and I don't know how best to achieve it (other than sending them to Redheart...) :) So, I tried using the polishing machine, very, very gently... but it did absolutely nothing. And again, I got distracted and veered off to look at something else, then cleaned the swim spa, and then made a cake. And dinner. I'm so Renaissance man.

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
So, a "non-progress" update... The movement ring and hands arrived from Raffles - I ordered the wrong size movement ring. :)

I then got distracted by my new Franken 16610, and spent probably 2 hours messing about with bracelet options on my other two 16610s for a planned group photo shoot, but in the end I'd spent so long fannying around that I lost interest in doing the photography bit... I'd found myself in need of another set of 501B end links and ordered those (and the right size movement ring).

Then I tried to get creative with my insert ageing - I've already done a bleaching session but I want to get the lovely graduated fade that is so characteristic of aged 1675 inserts, and I don't know how best to achieve it (other than sending them to Redheart...) :) So, I tried using the polishing machine, very, very gently... but it did absolutely nothing. And again, I got distracted and veered off to look at something else, then cleaned the swim spa, and then made a cake. And dinner. I'm so Renaissance man.

I heard wet sanding with a high grit sandpaper works right after a 50/50 bleach dip talking like 1500-2000 grit paper

itgoes211

10/4/19
I heard wet sanding with a high grit sandpaper works right after a 50/50 bleach dip talking like 1500-2000 grit paper

I’ve done the wet sanding and bleach, but my results are not to my taste. most likely it’s my technique - lol. But there are other methods too for you...

I was given a UV sterilizer as a b-day gift for some medical equip. Turns out I use it more for bleaching bezel inserts - 20-60 mins in the UV tank is like maybe a year in the direct sun (complete guestimate). Throw it in some bleach before the UV tank, and it seems to work.

I’ve multiple techniques with differing results - can’t say yet if it’s the techniques or the different inserts that drives the different results. I typically use straight bleach (no 50/50 solution) for all my aging. And different combos of bleach soak then UV (all different sorts of time lengths for both); alternating between both several times; soaking in bleach within the UV tank; bleach/dry/UV; bleach/clean with water/wet uv and dry uv, etc. Etc.

I have a bunch of aged inserts now, but still haven’t figured out the right rhythm to get exactly what I want.
Now I’m thinking about using it for dials! We’ll see how that turns out, especially if you saw my post on dials in the oven... =)