• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

HOW TO LUME A SANDWICH DIAL. FULL EDITION

scone2ten

Horology Curious
19/4/12
some skill and right tools require, good read...
but is till think is better to get the right guy to do it... without spoil the hour hands of my precious... :p

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
This link doesn't work.

Yes it's an old pre vB link from phpBB3, the old software. Since I don't know the name of the thread I can't really find it for you easily.

ktizo

Horology Curious
8/6/12
oh man, you're good. There's so much to learn in this hobby ya?

Crabber

I'm Pretty Popular
12/7/12
This is awesome. Plan on trying this out on some sandwich dials. Anybody know what color to use for a Pam425? Mix yourself? Also who are recommended lume sources and has anybody tried watchlume.com? Thanks awesome community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oddbod

Horology Curious
11/3/16
Thanks for this thread, I did mine (sandwich dial) yesterday (primed white) and then rubbed down with 1200 grit and relumed the dial today..i used Humbrol Matt Cote (as the binder..Tamiya and other modelmaker paint manu's matt varnish will be similar) with a couple of micro drops of xylene thinners (aka Hammerite paint thinners) to thin the 'goopy' binder mix into something more akin to custard/runny cream with the lume powder freely distributed, it worked great and I arrived with the perfect matt white when dried and 'green' with any sort of light source... all I have to do now is reassemble after the sandwich dial has had 24hrs to cure after re-gluing , thanks for the info! All in £4 for the superlume powder (10g), £2 for the binder (a discount store), thinners free (my garage) ..and enough to re lume about 30 more watches!

I will admit I've omitted the swearing, hair pulling, failures, from not being able to find a workable lume mix or delivery system, the key is xylene thinners which i presume is pre-mixed in the high end binders, also a ceramic egg cup makes the perfect mixing pot due to its shape, after much experimenting! I used a spring bar/bracelet pin pusher tool 'the rounded pin' type as the brush/ dropper, it worked perfectly HTH anyone reading up on this subject on a budget :)

oddbod

Horology Curious
11/3/16
What paint do I use to paint a dial plate?

I used a white primer (automotive spray can) to bind with the plated brass dial plate, applied with a fine brush in the areas of the numerals and markers only (spray some into the cap and leave for a minute or so to evaporate most of the solvent and get a thicker paint), which was easy on my dial as there are small depressions on the plate, just fill said areas with the primer (after removing the original lume) and sand back flat with some 1000 grit w&d.

jiggyjaggy

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
12/2/16
Nice, I wouldn't have the expertise for this. I will have to have a look at your site and book some of my watches in when it's up and running.

k2efy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/2/17
i have trouble swapping a battery ,Great tutorail