• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Easy teardown, mods and repairs to 6497 Panerai

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
What I'm going to do here is put together a tuto thats as easy and painless to follow as possible. It is designed for noobs doing this for the first time and even guys who have done it many times before.

Lets get the team together. ;)

DSC_0822.jpg

REMOVING / CHANGING A STRAP

Simple as taking the correct sized "flat blade" screwdriver and removing the screwbars. They run the entire lenght of the lugs unlike Pre-V bars wich have small screw heads on either end of a threaded tube.

CSC_0826.jpg

You can see here that a Panerai strap weather leather or rubber should be fitted with tubes for functionality

CSC_0828.jpg

The buckle is removed the same way but has no tube.

CSC_0824.jpg

REMOVING CROWN GAURD

Simple as opening the lever and taking the correct sized "flat blade" screwdriver and removing the 2 screws.

CSC_0831.jpg

UNCASING

CASE BACK REMOVAL

Lots has been said about horbs but I love mine. You can use a correct tool here but I have not needed one yet.

DSC_0833.jpg

STEM REMOVAL

Here is where things get a little technical, but trust me, if you've gotten this far all you need now is a little patience.

Pull the crown out to the time setting position and set the time to 12. (makes hand removal easier later) Slowly turn this screw out about half a turn.

CSC_0835.jpg

Your crown and stem should just pull out effortlessly. If it does not try another 1/4 turn. If, for some reason you turned out this screw too far, the keyless will need to be reset. Don't fret, we will get to that in a bit.

Congrats. Your station should look like this now.

DSC_0857.jpg

Set aside the case back o-ring for now.

MOVEMENT TAB REMOVAL

Find the correct size driver for the movement tab screws. These are the bane of many modders the first dozen or so times you have to deal with these little buggers.

Remove both screws and tabs and set aside in a parts tray. You can pick up a mini paint tray at the dollar store for this.

Some watches will have more than one tab under the screw to apply more downward pressure to the dial if it is a thinner than normal dial. More on that later.

CSC_0837.jpg

Here is a shot of the movement tab. You will notice once its out that it will be bent slightly. This is also to increase / decrease pressure on the dial when the movement is secured later. Pay attention to wich way it is bent ---- up or down.

CSC_0839.jpg

ACTUAL UNCASING

Most guys place a "pad" upside down over the back of the watch like so. It's a great thing to invest in and comes with most watch tool kits.

DSC_0840.jpg

Flip it over and remove the case.

DSC_0841.jpg

DSC_0842.jpg

Now is a great time the thread the case back onto the empty case so no dust gets in there.

If you didnt set the time to 12 before or it has moved due to a tensioned spring slide the stem back in and set the time to 12. No need to tighten the keyless to set the time here.

DSC_0843.jpg

HAND REMOVAL

I have seen tutos using different dial protectors in the past and you can indeed use paper and such but the 3 dollar investment in a proper dial protector was worth it.

Slide the dial protector under the hand stack and pull the hands with a hand puller. Getting inventive with tools that are not correct here will just end up with damaged hands and dials.

DSC_0844.jpg

DIAL REMOVAL

Flip the movement over and locate the dial feet screws. They are directly behind the movement tab screw holes.

This part was hard to photograph or explain so I'll try my best. The heads of the feet screws are shaped like capital Ds. The dial foot sits on a hole drilled through the case and directly beside the screw head. When the head is turned so the flat part of the screw head is beside the foot the dial can be lifted off. When the screw is turned so the rounded part is squashing into the foot the dial is secured to the movement.

Turn the screw to the correct orientation and remove the dial.

DSC_0845.jpg

There will be a brass hour wheel washer between the dial and movement. Be sure not to loose it and it's orientation is of little concern.

You can see in this picture at the top right, the brass washer is on the hour wheel.

DSC_0852.jpg

SECONDS HAND REMOVAL

If by chance you are turning a seconds at 9 Panerai like a 111 into a base like a 112 there are a few tutos on that around. I know for a fact most builders just file the seconds output down. You should really take your time and make sure nothing gets into your movement or go crazy like the guy who built this watch. (NOT me BTW)

CSC_0877.jpg

CHANGE OUT SWAN NECK SCREW TO A LONGER ONE

This is the simplist and hardest mod wrapped up into one. Just change a screw right? Mostly, you'll see when you do it that you need an extremly steady hand for this.

Pull out a long screw from an H-factory or equivalent movement and the short one.

CSC_0832.jpg

Here is a comparison shot of both

CSC_0847.jpg

Here is the "longer" screw installed in the Noob movement

CSC_0849.jpg

"RE-SETTING" A KEYLESS

The nice thing about this is the movement does not have to be disassembled to re-set it.

Place your movement dial side up. Get a driver, some tweezers and your finger ready.

You can see here that the "arm" has come out of the time setting gear because the keyless screw was turned until the small plate on bottom right here that was attached to the screw no longer is.

CSC_0896.jpg

First up is remove the one screw that holds the large plate on. There are several things under tention under there so hold it down as you loosen out the screw.

CSC_0893.jpg

SLOWLY lift up the plate until the U shaped spring "springs". Hopefully it didn't go flying. Remove the large plate, the U shaped spring and the arm that wasn't in the right spot and set them aside.

DSC_0880.jpg

You can now "re-set" the keyless. Thread the release screw back into the small plate. Don't tighten it, just get it started. Reinstall the crown. You will see a small narrowing in the crown and this where the pin that sits UNDER the small plate will sit.

These pictures will illustrate the importance of this step to help you understand how the keyless actuly works.

Crown out

CSC_0884.jpg

Crown in

CSC_0885.jpg

Here is a little video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=48XhK5h4JrM

Now you can reinstall the parts. First place the arm back on it's pivot and into the corect spot on the kyless.

With the crown out

CSC_0887.jpg

With the crown in

CSC_0889.jpg

Now maybe the most tricky part. Installing the damn spring. You will have to hold down the arm with your finger while you set the spring with your tweezers. It should look like this when your done.

CSC_0891.jpg

Then slowly place the top plate. Once it's down hold it there with your finger and pull back the small arm on the large plate to mate with the TOP pin on the small plate. Install and tighten the screw.

Here is the same picture from earlier but you can see what I described above.

CSC_0896.jpg

Here is a video to show a working keyless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLUIir0OPw0&feature=youtu.be

INSTALLING DIAL

Don't forget to install your brass washer. Reverse steps from removing dial section.

INSTALLING HANDS

It is good idea to get a proper hands tool so you don't scratch the hands. I install my hands at 3 o clock. I find it easiest but then check them at 12 and 6 to be sure the alignment is great.

Hold up the movement to make sure the hands are flat to the dial then spin them around to verify clearance at all positions.

CSC_0855.jpg

RE-CASE AND LUBRICATION

Clean everything with compressed air. Getting a watch back together without dust in it is a real trick. You may have to recase your watch several times to get it done without dust.

Line up the movement in the case and slide in the stem. Don't tighten it yet, you need to install the movement tabs first.

Slide a tab into the slot cut into the case, then start to thread the screw but don't tighten it. It's harder than it sounds but with practice isn't that bad. Do the same with the other tab. Once both screws are started then you can tighten them both.

Lubricate the case back o-ring and crown gasket with silicone grease. I've found the kind sold at SCUBA stores is identical to watch makers siliclone and a fraction of the cost.

CSC_0861.jpg

CSC_0859.jpg

Reverse steps from before and re-install your crown and tighten then stem screw.

Tighten down your case back, and don't forget to add some purple loctite to your strap, buckle and crown gaurd threads.

CSC_0867.jpg

Install your favorite strap and your done!

CSC_0915.jpg

• Love
Reactions: tomriddle

Rwolf

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
17/5/12
Great and helpfull ;) thanks for share

co-axial

Legendary Member
Advisor
16/9/10
Very well done! Best is the keyless repair part. Always wanted to do a tuto for that myself. Thanks mate.

sharrkey

Legendary Member
Advisor
14/6/08
Fantastic thread mate, I've reset the keyless before myself and that wee spring is a right PITA:wyliehelp:

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Thanks Frig
Very instructive and well explained. Fir noobs and veterans
This is a really useful thread.
Thanks for sharing it.

ALE

rol_man

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
25/7/08
Excellent, rep points for a great tuto!

Kutio

20/10/10
Awesome pictures. Took me a long time of research and trials to gain this knowledge and now it's all here on 1 page.

Wira

Known Member
29/6/11
Awesome tutor. Anyway love that strap buckle. Where do u get those from? Peace

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
Awesome tutor. Anyway love that strap buckle. Where do u get those from? Peace

Strap was a Mario Paci and the buckle I picked up in the member sales section. ;)

cal8500

Known Member
28/11/14
Very good tutorial!

Now I have a quastion :

Here is a shot of the movement tab. You will notice once its out that it will be bent slightly. This is also to increase / decrease pressure on the dial when the movement is secured later. Pay attention to wich way it is bent ---- up or down.

I haven't noticed, how the movement tabs where installed before...

I think they are always installed the same way - isn't it?

Could you please tell me, how they normaly where installed?

Both increase?
Both decrease?
One increase, one decrease?

Thanks in advance.

D

d4m.test

As good as the day it was written. Awesome reference tutorial, thanks for this:)