• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

XF or ZF Pelagos?

amplitude

Known Member
4/12/06
I'm not finding much via search, the XF Pelagos seems to be more expensive than the ZF, but the ZF seems to be the popular one here. Is the ZF a more accurate replica? Is there a comparison thread somewhere I'm missing? Your input is appreciated.

Also, is there an LHD Pelagos replica?

Camblin

Known Member
26/3/18
Northern Ireland
I'm no expert, but from what I've read...

Both are great. XF (also referred to as V6F) is a little more accurate and listed as a super rep. ZF is still great and NWBIG I think, but apparently slightly less accurate visually/externally.

The other difference between the XF and ZF is that the XF uses Miyota 9015 movement whereas the ZF uses A2824 movement. People seem to like the Miyota movement with the exception that it can sometimes be loud! I don't have one yet to measure how loud, but it's a common complaint. Apparently a drop or two of oil can make it much quieter.

So it depends what do you prefer? A little bit more visual accuracy with a potentially louder movement, or slightly less accurate but quieter movement.

Another option is the XF/V6F version 2 which uses A2824 also. I noticed that Trustytime still has it listed and can apparently source it, maybe other TDs can too. The V2 is still listed as a super rep but apparently has slightly weaker lume compared to the newer version.

I could be wrong but from memory I think I read that nobody makes LHD Pelagos's anymore? Although it may be possible to pick one up on sales section with a bit of luck!

Edit: Also when it comes to this watch the main QC points to watch out for are the alignment of the markers, and datewheel.

Last edited:

amplitude

Known Member
4/12/06
Appreciate the response. I'm all about visual accuracy with this, but the Miyota isn't my favorite. They aren't very accurate. I don't care about the rotor noise at all, I'd prefer a 2824. I'm a watchmaker, I'm intimately familiar with both movements (not the asian clone) but I much prefer the eta and have gobs of Swiss 28 series parts & movements, and I know I can get one regulated to chrono specs. Miyota, not so much.

Reactions: Camblin

Camblin

Known Member
26/3/18
Northern Ireland
Would it be possible to buy the XF version with the Miyota 9015 for best external/visual accuracy and then replace the movement to something more preferable? I am a noob when it comes to movements so no idea if that is possible?

erekose

Renowned Member
Supporter
13/2/12
Tokyo
Would it be possible to buy the XF version with the Miyota 9015 for best external/visual accuracy and then replace the movement to something more preferable? I am a noob when it comes to movements so no idea if that is possible?
Not worth the effort. Different hands and I think dial feet. The 9015 is a great movement.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Ntress

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/10/18
Not worth the effort. Different hands and I think dial feet. The 9015 is a great movement.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

But isn't it too loud as everybody else says?

Parto

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/7/18
UK
The rotor noise on 9015 can be reduced and both movements are reliable and widely used. Personally I'd go for a 2824 which gives you the option of replacing in the future with ETA or selitta if it fails. Also the 2824 can be regulated but I dont think the 9015 can.

Reactions: GMT1675

garnier

Renowned Member
30/5/12
There is a new xf with 2824 movement listed in some websites, so it is time to get it!

Reactions: Camblin

Camblin

Known Member
26/3/18
Northern Ireland
There is a new xf with 2824 movement listed in some websites, so it is time to get it!

I just saw this on Trustytime, added yesterday. But after wanting one of these for a year or two I just ordered a Miyota 9015 one from Puretime!! What timing lol! If you guys were in my situation would you ask Puretime if they can get a A2824 one instead?

thrillofhunt

Put Some Respect On My Name
Gold Patron
Certified
8/2/11
I just saw this on Trustytime, added yesterday. But after wanting one of these for a year or two I just ordered a Miyota 9015 one from Puretime!! What timing lol! If you guys were in my situation would you ask Puretime if they can get a A2824 one instead?
If you can stand the rotor noise on the miyota then no need to change. Miyota is very reliable too.

sn95

Renowned Member
29/7/18
If you can stand the rotor noise on the miyota then no need to change. Miyota is very reliable too.

I had a modded 15400 with an oiled rotor and it was great, they're easy movements to work on and inexpensive. There's a certain way to oil them without risking damage to the movement.

Ntress

13/10/18

So is it a new release or just a trusty time modification for the title ?

Camblin

Known Member
26/3/18
Northern Ireland
So is it a new release or just a trusty time modification for the title ?

Well I asked Puretime if they could source me a new XF Pelagos with A2824, and they said yes. They presented QC photos and I accepted, so here's hoping it's not a Miyota. I am too stoopid to open up a watch without butchering it but if a Miyota is as loud as people say it is then I should be able to tell.

Camblin

Known Member
26/3/18
Northern Ireland
Just received my XF Pelagos and although I can't open it up, It sounds like an A2824. I cannot hear it even in a near silent room, no loud noise when I move the watch either. Therefore I'd now always recommend XF over ZF for this model.

Redheart

17/5/19
I don't think there is xf vs zf visual accuracy ever made on the fora. I just believe the xf made the super status and the zf not, because the zf have many reports of the hour markers being slanted.
thing is when looking at many QC pics and TD listing the XF have as much or less slanted markers...
Therefore zf was preferred because of the 2824 with fine adjustment, while miyota have no adjustment possible.

Reactions: angelo326

powasky

Looking Around
5/6/19
I just purchased a V6F Pelagos from PT - received it a few days ago. Movement is absolutely silent. Wonder if I got the new version w/ the 2824? Will have to open it up when I get back from vacation and check. I'll update when I do.

Reactions: GMT1675

Mgrolex

26/6/19
UK
I have a ZF, it’s ok but use the repped bracelet (great rep) on my Gen to avoid any wear and tear

SpeedyTrilogy

Looking Around
6/8/19
I just purchased a V6F Pelagos from PT - received it a few days ago. Movement is absolutely silent. Wonder if I got the new version w/ the 2824? Will have to open it up when I get back from vacation and check. I'll update when I do.

Did you open? What did you find out?

Sunsurfer

26/3/17
EU
To give you an exsample on the noise of the miyota 9015.

if you wear it in office and have a meeting the guys on the left and right next to you hear the rotor spin if you move your arm up or down. So if your colleagues just have a tiny bit of watch knowhow the realize that you do not wear a 3k$ watch. ;)

cheers sunny