• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tudor Black Bay 36mm Rep v Gen comparison (new Super Clone?)

English Gent

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/7/14
Recently got the Rep Black Bay 36mm, I have the Gen, and its one of my fav's so thought I would check the rep out, and I'm very surprised. so surprised I might sell the gen.

the watches look identical and feel very similar in hand, the gen bracelet is far smoother but I plan to give the rep one a ultrasound bath and cape cod it.

the only tell is the flatter print, which is the same for all reps, but saying that, in the light, it has the same silver print as gen, which is a lovely touch.

Think this should be added to the Superclones thread, let me know what you guys think

Notes about pics, my gen has been polished badly by the last owner, and the shiny bezel on the lugs has lost its sheen. and the rep has some muck around the crystal, which I have removed after seeing on pics

tff4fo.jpg

MGxsvA.jpg

74XHs5.jpg

FKKAea.jpg

MlWv3C.jpg

6atsPz.jpg

5ptU0o.jpg

aF7RgN.jpg

P1Pyg6.jpg

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
looks good !
i guess the weak spot of all reps are things like the crystal,pinion etc but i guess we are very few the ones noticing

English Gent

Banned
10/7/14
looks good !
i guess the weak spot of all reps are things like the crystal,pinion etc but i guess we are very few the ones noticing

Crystal look exact the same, Gen doesnt have AR coating so simple to rep I guess. Pinion look the same unless under a loop!

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
Thanks for doing this OP!

I don't even know which is which! Based on the pinion cap, I'm going to say left is Gen, but I'm far from sure.
Either way, can you tell me how the winding/time setting/crown unscrewing feels compared to Gen please?

English Gent

Banned
10/7/14
Thanks for doing this OP!

I don't even know which is which! Based on the pinion cap, I'm going to say left is Gen, but I'm far from sure.
Either way, can you tell me how the winding/time setting/crown unscrewing feels compared to Gen please?

lol, yes I forgot to say its the left, some of the pics look like the watch on the left is bigger as well, but its just a mini difference in closer to the camera

winding etc is usual for a rep, no where as smooth as my gen, but thats to be expected, I sold my gen today! one day after getting this, after I oiled the bracelet it felt just as weighty and solid. great rep

PS there is no time setting...

English Gent

Banned
10/7/14
Left is gen. SEL gap is bigger on the right.

the biggest tell, if you can call it that on such a small watch is the 3d type on the gen, its silver printed, so hard to see in pics, but the extra 3d print of the gen sparkles with movement, but rep also has silver print just not as thick.

to be honest I just love the style of Tudor. not worried about anyone getting there loop out at a party..lol

Reactions: axel.gold

Camblin

Known Member
26/3/18
Northern Ireland
Thanks a lot for the comparison! Now I'm seriously tempted to buy the rep. Looks fantastic

Edit: What factory is this?

Last edited:

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
Many thanks English Gent for this comparison, indeed rep look sharp!
Who is the maker of yours, KRF? LF?
Would you happen to have a pic with the crowns screwed-down?
It is not really visible on my laptop, but when I checked the pics on a mobile (amoled screen) looks like rep hands have a lighter colour than dial markers, how is it in real life?

English Gent

Banned
10/7/14
Many thanks English Gent for this comparison, indeed rep look sharp!
Who is the maker of yours, KRF? LF?
Would you happen to have a pic with the crowns screwed-down?
It is not really visible on my laptop, but when I checked the pics on a mobile (amoled screen) looks like rep hands have a lighter colour than dial markers, how is it in real life?

its this one from Ryan. https://www.intime03.co/tudor/5807-...-edition-black-dial-on-ss-bracelet-a2824.html

as for the markers and hand lume, in bright light there is a slight difference. but not as noticable as the early Black bays or the new Black bay 58

heres the gen

and rep in light and last night

you really dont see it ,

Reactions: k4jun

fuzzmex

2/9/17
That's such a gorgeous watch. Right now I'm considering getting the BB fifty eight, but this one looks so pretty I might change my mind.
​​​​​Anyone any idea why the 36mm is so much more expensive?

Reactions: Mathias_J

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
Different maker, they set their own prices (which are massively higher) I'd guess.

fuzzmex

2/9/17
Yeah, you're right I suppose. They seem to be the only ones doing the 36mm reps. Never heard of KRF, probable new and looking to get back what must have been high start up investments. They seem to have done a really decent job though.
Any blue dial comparisons that folks here might know about? I couldn't find any.

Reactions: axel.gold

Jouke

Known Member
11/8/17
The sel/endlink gaps are a straight giveaway and look ultra cheap. They are really tight on my gen BB36.

gvlnTemp

13/2/18
Yeah, you're right I suppose. They seem to be the only ones doing the 36mm reps. Never heard of KRF, probable new and looking to get back what must have been high start up investments. They seem to have done a really decent job though.
Any blue dial comparisons that folks here might know about? I couldn't find any.

+1

Reactions: horlogeliefhebber