• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Daily (Cigar) Report. What did you Smoke Last Night?

JC7

Put Some Respect On My Name
15/6/10
thoroughly enjoyed.
P8231314.jpg

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
My latest acquisition just came in:

- Montecristo #2
- Hoyo de Monterrey Regalos edicion Limitada 2007
- Vegas Robaina Famosos
- H Upmann Epicures
- H Upmann Magestic
- Johny O custom roll
- Partagas Lonsdales
- Romeo y Julieta Short Churchills
- Cohiba Lanceros
- Juan Lopez Selection No. 2

latestg.jpg

wilkejs

Known Member
19/7/10
A nice Friday evening with the wife and an Oliva Serie G maduro. Also trying out my new (and first) ashtray.
dsc0181vi.jpg

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
Wilke,

I love that magazine, man!!! Congrats on the new CAO ashtray as well. As for myself, I had a Macanudo Portofino tonight. It was just laying there by itself in the corner of the humidor like an ugly stepchild... Well, it tasted like one too, nothing to brag about.

Macanudo%20Portofino%20single%20WR%202.jpg

And the end result...

macanudo.jpg

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
I had an El Baton Robusto (nicaragua) on Saturday.

I was pleasantly surprised. Bold flavor, smooth even burn, although it felt wrapped tight/hard it smoked well, hints of pepper and orange after I got about half way through.

Here is someone else's pic, since I didn't take one (the wrapper on mine seemed a bit darker and smoother):

El-Baton-Robusto-2.jpg

redstars

Known Member
25/12/09
Delayed Gratification

R2 was kind enough to send me a care package a few days ago! Unfortunately the weather has been rather dreary lately, which prevented me from enjoying it over the weekend.

Meanwhile, back at the cigar - creamy, nutty, oily, and mild. Developed some crisp wood flavor later in. Not a really complex cigar, but quite flavorful and extremely enjoyable. This is a beautiful cigar with a semi oily caramel color wrapper.

As I puff away on the Romeo y Julieta, rolling the leathery smoke around my lips (recall Freud: "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar"), I figured I could take the time to note some of the intricacies: The ash has held on to the midpoint of the cigar and only now have I had to use my matches to slightly correct the burn. The tobacco is smooth and mellow while the smoke is thick and slightly spicy. It lit easily, drew smoothly, and burned straight. The ash is sturdy and not at all flaky. The smoke in the air is very mild and sweet.

Well this aged treat is finally coming to an end and it was pure bliss from start to finish.

Thank you to R2 who gifted me this cigar and thank you to everyone who took the time to read this.

BONUS: I had an epiphany while laying in my hammock, watching the sunset over the lake, and smoking: I'm young. I'm healthy. I have a job. So I'm bored and my love life has been slow? These are first world problems. Thanks again for helping me slow down and appreciate life, R2, and I can't wait to try the Ambos next.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Ah yes, do slow down and enjoy. The pleasure was all mine Red. ;)

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
I've been holding on to this beauty for some time now. Planned to smoke it on a rare occasion but last night I gave in to the lust... Awesome cigar, definetly in the 90's.

lostcityz.jpg

redstars

Known Member
25/12/09
Very interesting cigar, Maty:

In 2004, Andy Garcia began filming The Lost City and wanted to shoot one of the most memerable scenes of his movie at Chateau de la Fuente in July. Unfortunately, there was no tobacco plants growning at Chateau de la Fuente during that time because the tobacco plants are usually harvested in March.

In order to help Andy Garcia, Carlito Fuente planted tobacco at Chateau de la Fuente during summer time so that Andy could film The Lost City.

After the movie was shot at Chateau de la Fuente, the tobacco plants were harvested and have been aged. Carlito Fuente has created very special cigars from these 5-year old tobaccos: Fuente Fuente OpusX The Lost City. All cigars made with the tobaccos planted for The Lost City come with the black bands.

I don't know if this is common knowledge among aficionados, but I found it quite interesting!

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
Red,

BRAVOOO!!! You are amazing and hit the nail on the head... AGAIN. When I see your name a picture of a walking encyclopedia jumps in my mind. Yes, the Lost City was not only hard to find, but also rank it among my top 10.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Very interesting cigar, Maty:

I don't know if this is common knowledge among aficionados, but I found it quite interesting!

Red,

BRAVOOO!!! You are amazing and hit the nail on the head... AGAIN. When I see your name a picture of a walking encyclopedia jumps in my mind. Yes, the Lost City was not only hard to find, but also rank it among my top 10.

Red & Maty, this is why you gents are on my list of "Good Folks"! ;) Glad y'all are here.

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
R2,

Package should be there in 2-3 days. Red, let me have your address so I can shoot a sampler your way.

Today's cigar undecided yet, last night the temps fell in the high 30's.. did not smoke. Will keep you updated !!

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
We have a winner !!!

Tonight's cigar is not a big name among the Cuban master cigars and can be ranked as a Corporal, maybe a Lieutenant. Guantanamera cigars are pretty much a new breed to the Cuban scene with their mild tasting, machine made from Vuelta Abajo region tobacco. This particular Guantanamera Cristales came from a box dated 2002 and got injured while in route... Being that it was the only Guantanamera in my humidor, I hesitated to touch it for the last 6 years. Not expecting anything sensational as they are one of the cheapest Cubans on the market. Will add some comments when done...

guantanamera.jpg

redstars

Known Member
25/12/09
They may be a new breed, but Jose Matagne (the blender) is quite well known and respected. You have quite a selection, and it seems impossible to guess what will come out next.

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
Red,

Diversity is my middle name LOL. By the way, I love that Graham. It would serve as a perfect anchor amidst high winds and snow storms uphere :).

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
The winter time, I am not very fond of. It get's really cold here too. Last night I had a few buds over and I smoked a Rockey Patel Decade Torpedo. This one will hang with you into the next day but it was worth it for sure. Dark and toasty with notes of coffee and cedar. It had a nice light blue smoke to it. I Loved it from start to finish!

rocky-patel-decade-torpedo-6-1-2-x-52-box-of-20-rpdtp.jpg

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
Tonight's smoke will be a Vegas Robaina Famosos, one of the best Cubans ever made. I was going to smoke it when Don Alejandro Robaina died but postponed due to bad weather. It is a remarcable construction with a beautiful embossed golden ring:

vegasrobaina.jpg

Hmm hmm hmm... life on worker's comp is great(well besides hurting like a beoatch) :)

smokingy.jpg

and the finished product:

doned.jpg

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Folks he doesn't normally drink beer but when he does, Maty's Dad prefers Dos Equis. LOL

matymost.jpg