• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is the A79350 a modified A7750? If yes, is it more reliable?

yiric

Horology Curious
2/11/18
Thanks OP for making this thread, this is literally the question I am wondering as I am looking to pull the trigger on the 3714 portugese.

Some of the TD are quoting they only have 7750 (or the 'updated version') of it, which has less flaws. Then 2 other TD are saying they have the A79350 movement, not sure what to think about this so said improved movement - has it been used in other watches / tested?

If any expert can offer some imput, it would be much appreciated!

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Historically any attempts to change the subdial position on a 7750 have resulted in a reduced reliability and longevity. This is due to the Gear trains that they use to move the position of the sub dials. initially these gear trains were not jeweled and caused a lot of resistance leading to premature movement failure. more recently they have begun placing a couple of jewels in key points and reducing the friction. The other issue that would occur is by moving the chronograph sub dials, there was a high risk of having the gears slip and Skip upon reset, the end result being not all of your chronograph sub dials would reset to zero. What they've done with this movement is a eliminated the gearing for the chronograph sub dial so it's frozen. they've also reduced the number of Gears used to move the running seconds from the nine position to the six position. the end result is a movement that's almost as reliable is a standard 7750, and far more reliable than the older style modified 7750 that you would see in watches like the Daytona and the AP ROO.

You still can have some wiggling of the running second hand at 6, this is due to play in the geartrain and there's no way around it. it by no means indicates that there's an issue with the movement or redeuces longevity This being said while your base movement is a standard 7750, there is still a custom modifier plate present so the serviceability should something fail is not always possible. Overall there is several years of experience now with this setup, and the same basic setup is also used in the ARF Daytona.

Omagad

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/16
Super Reps Temple
Historically any attempts to change the subdial position on a 7750 have resulted in a reduced reliability and longevity. This is due to the Gear trains that they use to move the position of the sub dials. initially these gear trains were not jeweled and caused a lot of resistance leading to premature movement failure. more recently they have begun placing a couple of jewels in key points and reducing the friction. The other issue that would occur is by moving the chronograph sub dials, there was a high risk of having the gears slip and Skip upon reset, the end result being not all of your chronograph sub dials would reset to zero. What they've done with this movement is a eliminated the gearing for the chronograph sub dial so it's frozen. they've also reduced the number of Gears used to move the running seconds from the nine position to the six position. the end result is a movement that's almost as reliable is a standard 7750, and far more reliable than the older style modified 7750 that you would see in watches like the Daytona and the AP ROO.

You still can have some wiggling of the running second hand at 6, this is due to play in the geartrain and there's no way around it. it by no means indicates that there's an issue with the movement or redeuces longevity This being said while your base movement is a standard 7750, there is still a custom modifier plate present so the serviceability should something fail is not always possible. Overall there is several years of experience now with this setup, and the same basic setup is also used in the ARF Daytona.

Thank you very much!

So the chrono on the top doesn't work?

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Thank you very much!

So the chrono on the top doesn't work?

Correct, only the large chronograph seconds hand runs, stops and resets. Same set up as the ARF Daytona. Overall a solid setup.

Omagad

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/16
Super Reps Temple
Correct, only the large chronograph seconds hand runs, stops and resets. Same set up as the ARF Daytona. Overall a solid setup.

Damn, so you can only measure things below 1 minute, lmao.

Thanks for the info!

Hate to say it but I need a functional complication.

Omagad

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/16
Super Reps Temple
It clearly states it's a 7750 with using 3 jeweled gears to move the running seconds hand. .

I must admit I'm confused now. In the video, top chronograph works, and I see nothing saying it doesn't. I want to trust you and I'm sure I can trust your knowledge, so did they just record a video with another model or what? And what about the topic I linked?

Thanks.

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
I have the YL Factory version of this watch, which I believe has the same movement.

It's by far the best Asian movement I've owned, keeps very accurate time, very strong power reserve and the winding is smooth as silk. The time setting feels really solid and the chrono works flawlessly albeit I don't use it often.

Omagad

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/16
Super Reps Temple
I have the YL Factory version of this watch, which I believe has the same movement.

It's by far the best Asian movement I've owned, keeps very accurate time, very strong power reserve and the winding is smooth as silk. The time setting feels really solid and the chrono works flawlessly albeit I don't use it often.

So, the top chronograph works?

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
5fa83e50d11aefb5c20266dc78dca8fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I must admit I'm confused now. In the video, top chronograph works, and I see nothing saying it doesn't. I want to trust you and I'm sure I can trust your knowledge, so did they just record a video with another model or what? And what about the topic I linked?

Thanks.

The subdial at 12 is a running seconds hand, not a chronograph and it works normally. the three gears I mentioned are used to move the position from the normal 9 to the 12 for this layout. The subdial at 6 is frozen. The large central chronograph seconds hand on the main pinion works.

Omagad

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/16
Super Reps Temple
The subdial at 12 is a running seconds hand, not a chronograph and it works normally. the three gears I mentioned are used to move the position from the normal 9 to the 12 for this layout. The subdial at 6 is frozen. The large central chronograph seconds hand on the main pinion works.

No mate, on these models, running seconds are the subdial at 6 and the chronograph is at 12.

And on the video, they both work.

Last edited:

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
No mate, on these models, running seconds are the subdial at 6 and the chronograph is at 12.

And on the video, they both work.

Sorry. I didn't proof read my response. Yes, running seconds at 6, frozen chronograph subdial 12.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Okay, no problem mate. So you're positive on that? The video is actually showing a wrong watch with a running subdial at 12?

Sorry was just rereading it it should have read as follows:. the running seconds is at six o'clock utilizing a small gear train of 3 jeweled gears to move from the normal 9 oclock position. The subdial at 12 is not frozen as it's a 30 minute counter and in the same position as a standard 7750. Ugh. That's what happens when you quickly respond while eating dinner. Bottom line it's a 7750 with the running seconds moved to six everything else functions as normal and it's a reliable setup.

Reactions: csthe