This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaidx View Post

What do you think about the GMF crown guards when compared to Gen?
    The rep CGs don’t look off in real life....of course if you compare side by side magnified pictures, you will notice the rep CG geometry is not 100% the same as gen. however, the rep CGs don’t look off or ugly (and my eyes are used to seeing gen).

The rep cyclops on the other hand looks off from across the room. Bezel inserts are close enough in real life - nothing about the rep insert looks off to my eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by KSwatches View Post
      Ok, Here are my thoughts:

I am comparing these watches side by side and not zooming in pictures and micro analysing differences that are essentially impossible to see in real life, without staring hard at your watch (close to the face) and knowing exactly what to look for.

First impressions: The GMF looks and feels good. Bracelet pops and makes the watch look premium. The feel is quality is good. The dial surrounds are nice and overall the watch doesn’t look cheap (which is always the risk when essentially blind buying a Chinese rep). For hardcore Rolex fans, The Cyclops requires modding but that’s the case with noob and ARF and well.

Bezel:
      In real life I honestly can’t see an appreciable difference between the gen and rep bezels. Ok, after studying zoomed-in pictures you might see a slight colour difference or the numerals may or may not be exactly the same thickness but all this is irrelevant, since in real life the rep doesn’t look off to my eyes (and I am used to staring at gens):
      Gen (left), Rep (right)

Take a look at this picture, now bear in mind the picture is many times magnified compared to what you see in real life:

To my eyes the numerals are close enough. Bear in mind that that the numeral colour changes depending on lighting, angle etc - therefore it’s hard to define what gen numerals should look like In real life. Of course in pictures it’s easy to spot gen vs rep numerals but in real life (as a gen collector) I could never spot this as a rep bezel at wrist distance but then again I am not as paranoid as some and haven’t spent decades staring at gen vs rep micro differences.

The blue colour is very dynamic, on gen and rep. It changes depending on lighting and angle. Impossible to define what gen should look like on the wrist, so don’t get hung up over the precise shade of blue in pics.

Dial/Hands: the GMF Dial is nice in terms of hour marker steel surrounds. They are nicely rounded. Very close to gen. not like the flat pointy 12 marker found on ARF. ARF hands are much better, in terms of gen like geometry but GMF is nit bad in this department.

*****NOTE: the crown at 6 in “Swiss Made” is correct for 2019 gen******
      GMF:

Gen:

Bracelet: hard to compare jubilee with oyster but the jubilee looks nice. We have a gen Pepsi jubilee arriving in a few months, so will do a better comparison then. I do like the jubilee, will probably use it on the gen. GMF clasp is nice. Feels like gen to me.
      GMF (left), Gen (right)

Side by side:

Gen bezel numerals look more 3D here but that’s always going to be an issue on reps (ARF, noob etc).

Here is the GMF bezel again, at this angle you can see that the numerals are nice and 3D:

To be continued.

KSWATCHES
      Extremely good review, thank you sir. I had a question about the color printing on the bezel, does it fade? I bought an arf v3 seadweller 43mm and looks like some paint is gone off, so i do not want to have the same problem twice

Sent from the RWI App

Comment

Originally posted by C.gjinika View Post

Extremely good review, thank you sir. I had a question about the color printing on the bezel, does it fade? I bought an arf v3 seadweller 43mm and looks like some paint is gone off, so i do not want to have the same problem twice

Sent from the RWI App
        Been wearing mine for the past 8 weeks or so and no fading or scratching

Comment

Originally posted by RiffRalf View Post

Been wearing mine for the past 8 weeks or so and no fading or scratching
          Thank you, thats nice to hear

Sent from the RWI App

Comment

Originally posted by C.gjinika View Post

Sent from the RWI App
            To add: this is a really nice watch. I have been wearing it daily since I received it and it has replaced my Speedy as what I reach for in the morning. The only thing that gives it away is the cyclops which is not anti reflective. I should really get a new crystal either gen or ploprof but then I would have to take it off my wrist so I will wait until I get another GMT probably a BP root beer.

for the money it is really great. In this price range you can get a quartz Certina which doesn't have a movable bezel. A Steinhart is a bit more expensive but admittedly has the better water resistance. Otherwise you are looking at > $1k or (much) more ....

Comment

I'm in love with this watch but they tell me it's a bomb in my hands because the movement can be blocked. You have better advice, I would love it.
              Last edited by GioBar; 01-11-19, 16:34.

Comment

Originally posted by GioBar View Post
                I'm in love with this watch but they tell me it's a bomb in my hands because the movement can be blocked. You have better advice, I would love it.
                ICHS is solid. No need to fret. It is powered by an ETA clone movement. It is the CHS that is the 'timebomb."
                Unless you want to wait for the reports on the new ARF and JF GMTIIs with the true Rolex clone movement and wait until they come out with a BLNR I see no reason to hold off.

Comment

Thank you RiffRalf
                  I'll think about it. Which TD sells it?

Comment

Thank you RiffRalf
                    Basically any TD sells any watch. You can check their websites. Check out the "trusted dealers" section and read some reviews and find the TD you like. Their website info or how to contact them will be listed in their section.

Comment

Thank you RiffRalf
                      I got mine from Li at jtime. Great guy you can check out his feedback at the trusted vendor section.
                      IMO there is no point checking websites.as many vendors don't keep them up to date. You can send him an email via the forum with a link to a website that has it up. I use TS watch station for that purpose. He will then contact you with details. Other dealkers work the same way
                      RO23616 - GMT-Master 126710BLRO GM 1:1 904 Steel Black Dial A2836
                      Last edited by RiffRalf; 02-11-19, 17:17.

Comment

Thank you very much for your advice.

Comment

Just got a GMF Batman from my China based supplier. Chose Oyster bracelet with 2836 movement.

Lovely watch, though for the money it cost you would think they could get the cyclops straight. Forget about transition of colors on the bezel , hand stacks, and other details where you'd need to look at the watch close up to notice. the misaligned cyclops stands out like the proverbial and even non watch aficionados notice

Comment

Originally posted by cooper1 View Post
                            Just got a GMF Batman from my China based supplier. Chose Oyster bracelet with 2836 movement.

Lovely watch, though for the money it cost you would think they could get the cyclops straight. Forget about transition of colors on the bezel , hand stacks, and other details where you'd need to look at the watch close up to notice. the misaligned cyclops stands out like the proverbial and even non watch aficionados notice
                            Mine is fine. Anyway, what bugs me is the lack of AR on the cyclops. Prolly will get a prof xtal for it in due time Gen xtal are too pricey for my liking.

Comment

My GMTs bezel has about 1mm of upwards play in it when you lift under the bezel edge with a fingernail. If you look at the watch side on when you do it you can see it lift. It means the watch rattles a bit when you move it around or tap the top of the bezel. Is the only way to fix that to disassemble and reduce the bezel part's diameter?

Comment

Working...
                              X