• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZZF Ref 114060 V2 vs Gen honset review

tumad

Known Member
28/10/19
ZZF V2 Submariner REF 114060 vs Gen 2826 MOVEMENT (updated with user request)

Please excuse the typo in the title, I cannot edit that now....'honset' bwaaahaaa

This review is for people that keep asking the same questions and I hope it clears things up. It is evaluated with an assumed 20/20 vision or a magnifying glass. It is not evaluated under microscopic conditions where the rep would totally fall apart against a gen.

Each section receives 10 points. Full marks obviously go to the gen UNLESS there is something that is actually better on the rep in my view.
Many people wonder how close to a Gen the rep is, it will never be the same for obvious reasons. It is also not meant to be identical as it is a rep and we are not trying to sell them, or pass them off as genuine articles. We are wearing them because they are nice and remind us of something we either have and don’t want to damage, or because we just like the look of the gen but cant afford one.

For clarification, a gen is a gen, no getting around that fact. It feels different, it weighs different and is made different. There are many factors involved and this review serves only to give you a sense of owning a rep and what it feels like in real life. Furthermore it must be noted that one cannot expect to get a perfect rep from any factory, so minor flaws should be accepted to be the norm.

Sections. Max 10 points each:
  1. Overall look
  2. Dial
  3. Case front and sides
  4. Case rear
  5. Bracelet
  6. Clasp
  7. Rehaut
  8. Bezel
  9. Bezel insert
  10. Physical attributes
1. OVERALL LOOK
SCORE: ZZF 9 GEN 10
1.jpg

Having both samples in hand, the ZZF does a good job on imitating the Gen. For all intent and purposes, they are difficult to tell apart on first glance even when handling them side by side or at the same time. This however changes the deeper we delve into each section. The gen is a good 5g heavier and this is attributed mainly to the fact that the Gen bracelet is 0.2mm thicker and the actual movement is heavier. 5g is not much out of 150, but with both in hand, the difference can still be felt mainly due to the fact that the gen feels top heavy. Without a reference at hand though, it would be near impossible to tell.

ZZF loses 1 point for overall fit and finish. It is, that close.

2. DIAL
SCORE: ZZF 10 GEN 10

13.jpg

14.jpg

Having a look at the dial, the ZZF does a good job for sure. Imitating the the hands dent in the center which is only visible when the light really catches it right.
Font, marker alignment, hands under normal magnification are pretty indistinguishable from the gen. Due to the fact that the Ceramic bezel is angled, only a photo from directly in the center of the watch, with no lens distortion will reveal a perfectly aligned bezel. I.e. you need to hold the watch sideways and look from the 9:00 position towards the 3:00 position to see that everything is aligned. Lume is pretty spot on now, no difference I can see in color or longevity. they both last similar throughout the night.
In my example, I could not find any distinguishing flaws on the ZZF to deduct any marks.

ZZF, no points deducted

3. CASE FRONT AND SIDES
3.jpg

The first thing I noticed is that the polishing on the gen is absolutely flawless. The rep although very good has some compound polishing marks and is sharper on the edges underneath and feels a bit unfinished compared to the gen in the hand. The brushing is pretty close though, in the same direction but not as fine as the gen. Lugs are another contentious issue and the ZZF loses a point here for the wrong radius towards the first link.
UPDATE (User request):
We can see the crown guard different shape but the crown is centered like gen. Winding out is smooth, winding is smooth and setting time is reversed of course.
11.jpg

ZZF looses a point for the wrong radius toward the bracelet.

ZZF looses 1 points

4. CASE REAR
6.jpg

Not going to spend to much time here and nothing much to report. SEL are well fitted and tight. Rear case back however shows that the ZZF knurling is rougher than the gen. Gen individual knurling teeth are rounded and well formed and better finished.

ZZF looses 1 point only

5. BRACELET
SCORE: ZZF 8 GEN 10
4.jpg

Right. Something that no one has ever discussed is the fact that the gen bracelet is 0.2mm thicker, giving it a more solid and heftier feel. In the hand it just feels solid and smooth. The gen’s individual links between the horizontal brushed and vertical polished is rounded off slightly giving it a smother feel. Brushing is near identical however. The actual construction of the bracelet between each link is spot on.
SEL in this V2 are worse than the V1 I have, which is a pity. They are not as recessed as the gen and a dead give away unfortunately. The SEL radius towards the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] link in the bracelet also suffers from the wrong radius. Link screws are not as refined as gen, but virtually not noticeable if a gen reference is not directly at hand.

ZZF looses 2 points

6. CLASP
5.jpg

In operation, the ZZF clasp feels near identical to the gen. It is crisp, solid and has a nice action. Machining is spot on as well. Under high magnification one can see that the clasp crown is not as well finished as the gen. However, it is marginal and this is not really noticeable and no points deducted for that. The glidelock functions well, just like the gen although in operation the gen is slightly smoother. Printing is slightly crisper on the gen, but not really noticeable in real life.

ZZF, no points deducted

7. REHAUT
SCORE: ZZF 8 GEN 10
9.jpg

The rehaut engraving, alignment of text to minute markers is pretty good compared to a gen. The font is still very close now, the laser etching is pretty gen like, the serial number font is way off however. The rehaut finishing is a a bit rougher vs the gen, but only if you know what to look for. It’s just not as slick looking overall

ZZF looses 1 point

8. BEZEL
7.jpg

Bezel action is very gen slightly less positive than the gen which feels greased. ZZF feels dry. not as slick. Click pitch is very similar. Backlash is near identical. I have noticed that the bezel teeth on the ZZF are cut deeper, making them rougher to the touch. Gen teeth are finished off better and this is the only reason ZZF looses a point

ZZF, 1 point deducted

9. BEZEL INSERT
4.jpg

The black color of the bezel insert under various lighting conditions is indistinguishable from the gen. The insert engraving however lets it down compared to the gen. Under high magnification the gen Platinum is smoothly applied. The ZZF is a bit little rougher but better than V1, if it is even platinum to begin with. The actual engraving on the gen is also a bit wider.

The ZZF looses 1 point only

10. PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES

Handling both the gen and the ZZF there are some obvious and immediate differences. Fit and finish is mainly where the ZZF falls a bit flat. Its not bad at all, and only really noticeable when a ref is at hand at the same time. The actual weight, although marginal (5g) is certainly noticeable especially as it is concentrated on the case and internals. Without a gen as a ref, one would be hard pressed to tell them apart in the real world. For its sheer presence, resemblance and accuracy the ZZF looses no points.

ZZF looses 0 point

TOTALS:
  1. OVERALL LOOK: 9/10
  2. DIAL: 10/10
  3. CASE FRONT: 9/10
  4. CASE REAR: 9/10
  5. BRACELET: 8/10
  6. CLASP: 10/10
  7. REHAUT: 9/10
  8. BEZEL: 9/10
  9. BEZEL INSERT: 9/10
  10. PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES: 10/10

TOTAL SCORE 92/100

FINAL THOUGHTS:
10.jpg

Although the ZZF is a rep, it does a good job of imitating the Gen on a day to day basis. It’s accurate to 10 sec a week (under my testing) and gives you some security knowing its only worth 400 Dollars as apposed to 8000. It has some obvious flaws, as do all reps for obvious reasons, and this is reflected in the price. These flaws however are only noticeable under intense scrutiny. Wearing a rep and wearing a gen gives the user 2 completely different feelings however. Then gen makes you a bit more aware of your surroundings whereas the ZZF wears a bit more blaze and carefree. For all intent and purposes, if you have never handled a gen and are wondering, then, according to this reviewer, you are 92% there with this ZZF V2 rep. The only real difference is really the fact that you know it’s not real or quite as slick as the gen.
Passers by however will be hard pressed to pinpoint the fact that its not the real deal, which might be a good or a bad thing…

Last edited:

dmnk

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/4/18
Thank you for the amazing review. What a great watch, ZZF has really stepped up their game and they are currently on top regarding the subs. Kinda regret ordering the daytona a few days ago but if the Hulk is as good as this I'm gonna order it next month.

lestorfreemon

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/2/19
Fantastic write up, thank you for taking the time!

In regards to your conclusion, I could not agree more. I have a few reps that are high in quality and to the untrained eye, pass for gen with flying colors. Most of the flaws that we see are not apparent to others and even if one is familiar with reps, unless you have a gen in hand to compare side by side, it is hard to discern any differences.

Reactions: tumad

tumad

Known Member
28/10/19
Without my glasses i need to feel the recess of the SEL or shake it to quickly tell them apart.

Reactions: stufuse

up2wind

Supporter
Certified
9/6/19
Thanks for the review.

very helpful.

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
Excellent review, thank you for your time and effort. It's great to see new members on this forum who feel like contributing.

The review is really detailed and well documented. If you have a bit of spare time, I think it would be interesting to have a couple of additional pieces of information to really be exhaustive:

-What movement is this one?
-Can you share a side by side with gen of the right side (with the crown) to compare stem height and crown guards shape?

And maybe your feeling about how smooth the screwing/unscrewing of the crown and the winding are?

These are really details but they contribute to the experience :)

Thanks again!

Reactions: Faj and KJ2020

stufuse

22/10/17
UK
Without my glasses i need to feel the recess of the SEL or shake it to quickly tell them apart.

Great review chap, this comment made me laugh. I like how you didn’t get into the internal / mechanical differences and focus on the external appearance which a rep is mostly about.

I have a question, Does the zzf have 3 crown positions (one for the usual date) rather then the gens 2, it obviously time sets a different way too? being a 2836

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tumad

Known Member
28/10/19
Excellent review, thank you for your time and effort. It's great to see new members on this forum who feel like contributing.

The review is really detailed and well documented. If you have a bit of spare time, I think it would be interesting to have a couple of additional pieces of information to really be exhaustive:

-What movement is this one?
-Can you share a side by side with gen of the right side (with the crown) to compare stem height and crown guards shape?

And maybe your feeling about how smooth the screwing/unscrewing of the crown and the winding are?

These are really details but they contribute to the experience :)

Thanks again!

Hi it is the 2836 movement
unscrewing is smooth as gen.
Stem height is identical hence i didnt mention it although i can add that into the review
from the top down crowguard pic it seems they are a slightly differnt shape

tumad

Known Member
28/10/19
Great review chap, this comment made me laugh. I like how you didn’t get into the internal / mechanical differences and focus on the external appearance which a rep is mostly about.

I have a question, Does the zzf have 3 crown positions (one for the usual date) rather then the gens 2, it obviously time sets a different way too? being a 2836

Hi
i havo only felt 2 and dont want to pull to hard setting time is reversed direction though

Reactions: stufuse

stufuse

22/10/17
UK
Hi it is the 2836 movement
unscrewing is smooth as gen.
Stem height is identical hence i didnt mention it although i can add that into the review
from the top down crowguard pic it seems they are a slightly differnt shape

Crown position will be different though

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
Crown position will be different though

Yep I like the review and the pics but can't agree with all findings! The crown height between a gen ND movement and an A2836 will surely be different?

Last edited: