• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clean Factory New Submariner Series Review (Incl. Comparison Pics vs Gen)

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
It costs you very little to do it yourself just swap Clean parts to VSF case and sell the other complete watch.

In case you can live with the VSF rehaut you can have a no-date this way also on VSF case.

The ultimate resolution to this would be if VSF puts out No-Date after the CNY with better hands and rehaut or if Clean fixes their eye soaring CG.

Most likely scenario for me personally is to buy the 126610LV. I know the LV has some minor issues too but it just seems like a more acceptable watch to me from visible/obvious flaws perspective OOTB.

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
The ultimate resolution to this would be if VSF puts out No-Date after the CNY with better hands and rehaut or if Clean fixes their eye soaring CG.

Even if they sort the CG's, the watch is not the same build quality as VSF. The ARF bracelet is up there, with a little refinishing work it can be exactly like the VSF but where the watch drops ball is the feel of the bezel spin and then when you screw/unscrew the crown, it's gritty. 3 of my 4 VSF's are smooth like genuine when screwing the crown or turning the bezel, but ZZF/Clean feels more like you would expect a rep to feel. Then there is movement itself, the VS3153 is finished like the genuine, if you add a gen balance bridge etc. it would look gen, not sure the VR3135 is up to the same standard?

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Even if they sort the CG's, the watch is not the same build quality as VSF. The ARF bracelet is up there, with a little refinishing work it can be exactly like the VSF but where the watch drops ball is the feel of the bezel spin and then when you screw/unscrew the crown, it's gritty. 3 of my 4 VSF's are smooth like genuine when screwing the crown or turning the bezel, but ZZF/Clean feels more like you would expect a rep to feel. Then there is movement itself, the VS3153 is finished like the genuine, if you add a gen balance bridge etc. it would look gen, not sure the VR3135 is up to the same standard?

That crown gritty feel is easily sorted with some dental floss, believe me. Also trust me when I say: don't use the mint flavoured one.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
This is interesting. How sir?

Pull the crown to the third position (time setting), the furthest out position. Wrap the dental floss around the tube, not too tight and just one loop. Then gently pull the string, making the dental floss go through the thread of the tube. Dental floss usually has a patina of beeswax, or coconut oil, which will lubricate the threading without leaving lots of nasty residue. Don't overdo it, just one pass and you will notice a remarkable improvement.

wildhunter84

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/9/20
Pull the crown to the third position (time setting), the furthest out position. Wrap the dental floss around the tube, not too tight and just one loop. Then gently pull the string, making the dental floss go through the thread of the tube. Dental floss usually has a patina of beeswax, or coconut oil, which will lubricate the threading without leaving lots of nasty residue. Don't overdo it, just one pass and you will notice a remarkable improvement.

Wow.. just tested and the difference is day and night.

Subdued

20/11/19

Got to try this. Thank you sir.

Reactions: Hinclimincli

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
I use silicone grease on the crowns and tubes but if the cuts are rough improvement if limited. A gencrown and tube is a great mod if you want it proper.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
I use silicone grease on the crowns and tubes but if the cuts are rough improvement if limited. A gencrown and tube is a great mod if you want it proper.

I used to do that (using silicone), but applying it is a bit difficult if you want to leave as less residue as possible. Maybe you can run a thread through the silicone grease, and then do the wrap & pull method. Still I found it leaves too much stuff that could end up attracting debris and thus eroding the threads on the tube.

Of course getting a genuine crown and tube is a perfect solution. But you are looking at probably €400 or more plus broaching a hole in the case, which is a bit too much compared to the €3 of a dental floss pack...

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
I used to do that (using silicone), but applying it is a bit difficult if you want to leave as less residue as possible. Maybe you can run a thread through the silicone grease, and then do the wrap & pull method. Still I found it leaves too much stuff that could end up attracting debris and thus eroding the threads on the tube.

Of course getting a genuine crown and tube is a perfect solution. But you are looking at probably €400 or more plus broaching a hole in the case, which is a bit too much compared to the €3 of a dental floss pack...

Defo a good tip, i'll use that myself.. we learn something everyday!

Reactions: Hinclimincli

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Btw, before you think it’s a ghetto watchsmith technique, I’ll confess I learnt it by reading about it on gen forums. Guys do that to genuine Rolexes, and even APs, haha. I guess it’s fine, oh well.

Reactions: AG91

Cadows

I'm Pretty Popular
29/3/18
Europe

How is VSF bracelet? Good?

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW

Apparently there are two different versions of the VSF bracelet. I have the newer of the two and it's amazing OOTB. I do know some complain about the VSF bracelets having sharp edges but I honestly don't see them on mine. Super comfortable and look and feel very gen-like.

Reactions: Cadows

wonkycrown

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/3/19

My VSF's were uncomfortable at first and I thought originally it was the extra width of the new bracelets. After a baby oil bath it wears much better and is way more comfortable.

SGeri

Looking Around
28/8/20
Hi all, on the two tone subs is the inner clasp plated inside? I've heard controversial news about it.
IMG_2960.jpg

I mean like this (photo of gen from internet).

Last edited:

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20

The VSF116610 bracelet is exceptional, I believe the very early ones were not as well refined according to some reports, but the two I have are feel just like my gen. The VSF126610 bracelets are not as well finished as the VSF116610 but after a little slap about the ears with a buff stick, they are.

I also have the ARF bracelet fitted to the ZZFV3/Clean and it is comparable to the VSF.

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
I bought a ZZFV3 (V2S) from PT. The bracelet and clasp was cheap so I bought the ARF bracelet for it which I still have here.. I sold the ZZF when the VSF came along.

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
I bought a ZZFV3 (V2S) from PT. The bracelet and clasp was cheap so I bought the ARF bracelet for it which I still have here.. I sold the ZZF when the VSF came along.

Yes these had the old V2 bracelets those felt cheap definitely even the upgraded V2S clasp which came along some where during august past year wasn't that good.

But to be honest you cannot state things as facts and mislead people about V3 and Clean because you once had V2S.

You are comparing V3/Clean around the forum with VSF but you don't even have the first two nor never handled them.