• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clean Factory New Submariner Series Review (Incl. Comparison Pics vs Gen)

McPwn

21/9/20
These people have bionic eyes? What's the difference with the hands? Lol

If you want to nitpick on the hands, take a look at the center part of the mercedes symbol. On gen its definitely more raised, you can see more of an outline/shadow between the lume and the 3-pointed star. On reps, the metal is not as raised against the lume paint.

Reactions: sukwonee

Chief_FFM

Horology Curious
28/1/17
Do you know if clean has case engravement between the lugs with the ref 114060 or still the wrong 116610 ?

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
Yes. Many rep people knows details of a gen Rolex far better than a normal gen owner, for real.

Never ending talk about 3D-hands and 0,01 mm hairsplitting about SEL-fit and lets not forget if a letter is wrong in the rehaut-serial.

I have a gen 116613LB and love it but have never noticed those things.

Also love my reps just as much:)

I get your point definitely,

Id say, just because you haven’t noticed or care to doesn’t mean they aren’t there. Gen owner or not. There’s many on TRF who couldn’t spot a mid range cheap rep against their Gens, are they different, For sure they are.

I certainly couldn’t see half the things that get pointed out here but most of the time when they are, then you do see them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stufuse

22/10/17
UK
Yes. Many rep people knows details of a gen Rolex far better than a normal gen owner, for real.

Never ending talk about 3D-hands and 0,01 mm hairsplitting about SEL-fit and lets not forget if a letter is wrong in the rehaut-serial.

I have a gen 116613LB and love it but have never noticed those things.

Also love my reps just as much:)

I get your point definitely,

Id say, just because you haven’t noticed or care to doesn’t mean they aren’t there. Gen owner or not. There’s many on TRF who couldn’t spot a mid range cheap rep against their Gens, are they different, For sure they are.

I certainly couldn’t see half the things that get pointed out here but most of the time when they are, then you do see them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
The bezel on the ZZF is awful. I’ve had a few and never had one with teeth like that but hands on the clean look very good but no matter what they do to them they’ll never be white gold and it’s a very obvious tell regardless of shape.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i don't understand how can you tell the difference between WG hands and Steel hands. I can understand if you talk about shape or 3d effect, but you can't even see the shades or reflections for something that small lmao. How can you spot the color difference ? you'll need a loupe!

Reactions: arshia and Akilles

Replisimio

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/20
Gods own country! Yorkshire.
i don't understand how can you tell the difference between WG hands and Steel hands. I can understand if you talk about shape or 3d effect, but you can't even see the shades or reflections for something that small lmao. How can you spot the color difference ? you'll need a loupe!

Well live and learn buddy! It’s easy to tell gen hands just from looking due to the slight goldy yellow tint they produce over rep steel hands. In pics it’s easy but on the wrist obviously not unless close inspection is used. I certainly wouldn’t need a loupe!

Subdued

20/11/19
Well live and learn buddy! It’s easy to tell gen hands just from looking due to the slight goldy yellow tint they produce over rep steel hands. In pics it’s easy but on the wrist obviously not unless close inspection is used. I certainly wouldn’t need a loupe!

:)

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think

I see, i never noticed that lol

Jayalvin777

I'm Pretty Popular
17/9/20
🇦🇹

100 % agree with you. I got gen hands on my sub and it really is day and night.

Reactions: Replisimio

Replisimio

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/20
Gods own country! Yorkshire.
I see, i never noticed that lol

It’s one of those things that once it’s a mod you have done you never I unsee it lol. It’s a shame rep makers can’t take them to the next level like that and also the hours markers too. Doubt it would cost much and would make a great difference.

Reactions: MtnMover

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
It’s one of those things that once it’s a mod you have done you never I unsee it lol. It’s a shame rep makers can’t take them to the next level like that and also the hours markers too. Doubt it would cost much and would make a great difference.

i have problems spotting WG vs YG irl, i can notice it mostly on pics or under warm light when i compare the 2, that's why i don't personally consider it a tell, since i can't notice the difference, but yeah, i agree that it could be easily fixed

cosmo25

You're Saying I Can Sell?
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
12/1/21

White gold produces a very slight warmer tone compared to normal steel which is pretty obvious if you know your stuff, which is what prevented me from getting a datejust as nobody got the wg coating or colour right

BiH855

18/3/19
Germany

I also think it's visible, especially side by side and both hands reflecting the same light you see it's reflected more yellow on the white gold hands but without side by side it gets hard to tell imo

wonkycrown

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/3/19
Here......

Z8OEHR.png

..... but who cares. Reps are cheap.

Reactions: Copterguy

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
I also think it's visible, especially side by side and both hands reflecting the same light you see it's reflected more yellow on the white gold hands but without side by side it gets hard to tell imo

I can't see it when I hold my Gen and VSF (or other reps) side by side, the colour of the metal of the hands and lume plots are identical. I'd bet that the WG Rolex uses for the hands and plots of the SS watches is a very bright silver WG and not the same warm tinted WG that you see on a 18k WG watch - otherwise it would look rather odd would it not!! Put a WG Rolex next to a SS one and you see it right away..

mossquire

Horology Curious
19/9/20
Its amazing walking through these posts. I am fairly new and have bought three reps now after reading up on them on these forums. Following the really indepth review of the different Subs a few weeks ago I ordered the LN from VSF on the reviews recommendation. The thing is, I could hardly tell the difference between them all and certainly only when it was pointed out. I did manage to notice the (appologies for no tech terms) the Rolex writing inside and almost managed to notice the teeth difference on the back. I am not that interested but Hell i am glad you are or I would end up buying any old junk so thank you to all you anal, eagle eyed, first to spotters and corner fighting fanboys, I salute you. My next is a GMT 2 Blaken Pepsi PVD but unfortunately no one has done a review although I asked on here and other that the date crystal thing i have had nothing bad come back and then a LV to to match the LN. At the moment it looks like another VSF but I am following these posts so maybe it will change to a clean......who knows

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
Its amazing walking through these posts. I am fairly new and have bought three reps now after reading up on them on these forums. Following the really indepth review of the different Subs a few weeks ago I ordered the LN from VSF on the reviews recommendation. The thing is, I could hardly tell the difference between them all and certainly only when it was pointed out. I did manage to notice the (appologies for no tech terms) the Rolex writing inside and almost managed to notice the teeth difference on the back. I am not that interested but Hell i am glad you are or I would end up buying any old junk so thank you to all you anal, eagle eyed, first to spotters and corner fighting fanboys, I salute you. My next is a GMT 2 Blaken Pepsi PVD but unfortunately no one has done a review although I asked on here and other that the date crystal thing i have had nothing bad come back and then a LV to to match the LN. At the moment it looks like another VSF but I am following these posts so maybe it will change to a clean......who knows

Haha yep. I am not claiming to be one of those folks you are referring to as eagle eyed but just simply saying I am in agreement with what you wrote above.

The only thing I still am still not convinced about the new Clean version is how it feels and looks overall on the wrist. VSF 116610LN really looks and feels like the real thing - the way it sparkles, etc. To me this "overall feel" factor is more important than accuracy on specific details.

More simply put, VSF feels and looks like a 8 thousand dollar watch. Some of my older Noobs certainly did not. Maybe folks that own both the new Clean and VSF can chime in on this aspect.

BiH855

18/3/19
Germany
I can't see it when I hold my Gen and VSF (or other reps) side by side, the colour of the metal of the hands and lume plots are identical. I'd bet that the WG Rolex uses for the hands and plots of the SS watches is a very bright silver WG and not the same warm tinted WG that you see on a 18k WG watch - otherwise it would look rather odd would it not!! Put a WG Rolex next to a SS one and you see it right away..

yeah i believe you, it's really hard to see and it also depends a bit on the lighting how obvious it is, the crystal maybe also takes away a bit of the effect. I looked at the hands really long and compared them really much, in different lightings also and since then i can see the difference.
Afaik the hands are also 18K white gold, so it should be the same difference as the cases but as the surroundings are really small and plus under a crystal it's not easy to tell apart.
but imo the material colour will never be a tell and doesn't bother me a bit, i appreciate gen hands more for the smooth finish and look of the lume

Last edited: