• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

KJ2020 paint mod

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Nice work bro. Outdoor pics really show it off.

15719313920960.jpg

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
When applying the paint from the Posca pen, tap the dispenser tip into and around the marker cutout so the paint flows freely to fill the cutout and spillover some. Don't try to paint with the tip. Let the pool of paint dry completely, then I do an second coat. Let it sit overnight. Then I use an alcohol dampened Zeiss lens wipe pulled taut over a finger to swipe away the excess. Very easy mod that leaves paint perfectly smooth in the cutouts.

Wet
ZYJXVY.jpg

Dry
ZYJPY3.jpg

Wiped
ZYJTks.jpg

So I decided to do my RXF Sub using this method of flooding the markers and letting them dry completely. Both my Posca pens were nearly empty so I used a Molotow Metallic silver. This is the first time I tried the marker flood method with Molotow, previously I had applied it with a brush. Not only was this extremely fast (less than 5 mins), but it dried more uniformly than anything else I've ever used.

This looks great and will become my go to method for painting or touching up inserts that are installed. I will still use spray paint on uninstalled inserts since enamel is more durable than the Molotow/Posca acrylic. Acrylic is water resistant once cured, so it can last quite a while if you don't get your insert dirty all the time.

ZtG3Ho.jpg

ZtGjEk.jpg

ZtGZtD.jpg

ZtGhgW.jpg

ZtGAmS.jpg

ZtGe0L.jpg

ZtGUeR.jpg

ZtGWt8.jpg

ZtGaNK.jpg

ZtGK4P.jpg

ZtGHyJ.jpg

ZtGLPQ.jpg

Last edited:

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
That's a great finish! Is it as simple as you make it sound: flood, then leave? I wouldn't have thought so much paint would evaporate (or whatever happens to make it disappear).

Also, how do you clean around the pearl?

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
That's a great finish! Is it as simple as you make it sound: flood, then leave? I wouldn't have thought so much paint would evaporate (or whatever happens to make it disappear).

Also, how do you clean around the pearl?

Yes it really is that simple bro, give it a shot. As long as you don't break the bulb of paint over the marker and let it run down into either insert edge gap, you almost can't put in too much paint. I mean don't purposely overdo it, but give it a generous overfill. I too was surprised at how much it shrinks down.

I use Zeiss lens wipes for cleaning. You can get some wiping done with the included cleaner saturated in the wipe. They dry out quickly. When that happens, I apply alcohol to the wipe, pull the soaked spot taut over my forefinger, wave it in the air a bit to make it only damp and not soaked, then continue cleaning. The wipes are slightly stiff in consistency which is perfect as it keeps them from dipping down into the cutouts. For the pearl I fold the wipe so it has an edge, soak and wave it then swipe the edge against the pearl cup. It pulls all the paint off the cup without ever disturbing the triangle cutout. Brilliant! For the space between the top of the cutouts and the inner bezel rim, I wrap the wipe over my fingernail and swipe the insert there without dipping into the cutouts. You could also use a razor blade behind the wipe. Easy peasy.

Try it on a junk insert not in a bezel for practice. It can be completely removed with alcohol to try again.

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
Brilliant, thanks!

It's incredible that it shrinks so much. Thanks so much, I'll try later tonight. I need some Zeiss wipes too, they sound perfect!

Previously, re cleaning, I've used a similar method but with normal baby wet wipes that I dry for about 30 seconds on a radiator to leave them slightly damp - similar to your 'wave it about' technique lol!

Reactions: KJ2020

1675Fanboy

3/9/15
KJ2020 GingerBubba

I just did mine now with a Posca pen directly onto the insert (couldn’t find Molotow in UK). Did it with insert still on the watch and used some small 75% alcohol wipes I had in a first aid kit.

It has come up really well. I just took my time (30 minutes) and filled, dried and cleaned them in 1/4 segments (12-3, 3-6, 6-9, 9-12). Let them air dry, short blast with hair dryer and wipe excess off with slightly dried out alcohol wipes.

Thanks KJ!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KJ2020

1675Fanboy

3/9/15
KJ2020 GingerBubba

I just did mine now with a Posca pen directly onto the insert (couldn’t find Molotow in UK). Did it with insert still on the watch and used some small 75% alcohol wipes I had in a first aid kit.

It has come up really well. I just took my time (30 minutes) and filled, dried and cleaned them in 1/4 segments (12-3, 3-6, 6-9, 9-12). Let them air dry, short blast with hair dryer and wipe excess off with slightly dried out alcohol wipes.

Thanks KJ!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KJ2020 and Pietros

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
So... I decided I'd try the alcohol treatment on the RXF. I'd tried soap and water before to no success, but was a bit wary of removing the factory paint so didn't try anything stronger. The result is really good. Think I'm going to stick with this for the time being.

Based on your suggestion, I just cleaned my ARF SD43 ceramic insert with some rubbing alcohol and a very soft tooth brush and it worked beautifully. I've had some nice success brushing with soap and water previously, but adding the alcohol treatment to the process really put it over the top. Looks brand new now. Thanks for the tip!

Max Dad

Reloj Amor
Supporter
Certified
28/1/21
Spain
When applying the paint from the Posca pen, tap the dispenser tip into and around the marker cutout so the paint flows freely to fill the cutout and spillover some. Don't try to paint with the tip. Let the pool of paint dry completely, then I do an second coat. Let it sit overnight. Then I use an alcohol dampened Zeiss lens wipe pulled taut over a finger to swipe away the excess. Very easy mod that leaves paint perfectly smooth in the cutouts.

Wet
ZYJXVY.jpg

Dry
ZYJPY3.jpg

Wiped
ZYJTks.jpg

Just seen this, looks like the PERFECT solution to fix my new Noob V10 Hulk insert, paint pen ordered, can't wait to have a go, so blob paint the markers as you describe, leave overnight then simply wipe off with alcohol and lense cloth the next day...that easy? I hope so?

Reactions: Uhr70 and KJ2020

ProGamer73061

Renowned Member
14/1/19
Germany
Just seen this, looks like the PERFECT solution to fix my new Noob V10 Hulk insert, paint pen ordered, can't wait to have a go, so blob paint the markers as you describe, leave overnight then simply wipe off with alcohol and lense cloth the next day...that easy? I hope so?

Have done with two watches, looks pretty good
But I have Cleaned with water. Alcohol make the color lost.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Last edited:

Manuel.b

Renowned Member
15/1/21
Italia
This bezel modification is bloody gorgeous!
I'd love to do it on my watch too, but by nature I'm a prude and like to leave things the "original" way.
However........ I'm not ruling it out!!!

Max Dad

Reloj Amor
Supporter
Certified
28/1/21
Spain
Have done with two watches, looks pretty good
But I have Cleaned with water. Alcohol make the color lost.

Water? I suppose that's because it's on top of ceramic, it comes off quite easy? Good tip...I also saw someone mentioned rubbing your finger over the insert before painting to 'grease' it and reduce paint sticking to the ceramic too.....will try that AND the water method.....alcohol will be back up....used carefully if at all. Thanks BTW

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Water? I suppose that's because it's on top of ceramic, it comes off quite easy? Good tip...I also saw someone mentioned rubbing your finger over the insert before painting to 'grease' it and reduce paint sticking to the ceramic too.....will try that AND the water method.....alcohol will be back up....used carefully if at all. Thanks BTW

Don't put grease on the insert. That comment came from a member who has never done a paint mod and doesn't even own any reps.

ProGamer73061

Renowned Member
14/1/19
Germany
Don't put grease on the insert. That comment came from a member who has never done a paint mod and doesn't even own any reps.

Do you mean me? If yes, I have done the paint mod three times... and have much more than 10 rep watches.

My steps: cleaning with alcohol. Do paint mod, 1h time to dry. Then next paint. Wait 24 hours clean up with water. Works perfekt for me. If you want I can show you pictures from the Molotov painters and the warches ;-)

I have although pictures of my paint mod process..

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Molotow, Posca, and sharpie mods are fine if your insert is still installed on a watch, and with proper care they can last a good while.

If an insert is off the watch and for a longer lasting more durable paint mod, spray paint can be used.

I tried 3 or 4 different colors of gold for my upcoming gold Hulk and settled on Posca gold but wasn't completely happy with the color shade.

Zs2s4I.jpg

So as a last ditch effort I paint modded a junk insert with some Rustoleum Metallic Gold and it looks much better to me.

Zs2GEF.jpg

Zs2My4.jpg

Unfortunately I had already re-glued the pearl so it had to come off again, arghh.

Zs2EPi.jpg

I repainted the insert and waited 24 hours for it to fully cure.

Zs2kE1.jpg

I always remove excess spray paint with a razor blade first. Find a good angle to scape and avoid pushing shavings into the cutouts. Brush them away with a small brush.

Zs2drv.jpg

Zs2ucc.jpg

Zs27mX.jpg

Zs20Ht.jpg

Be careful around the triangle

Zs2b12.jpg

Zs2fep.jpg

Next, swipe away the remaining paint with thinner. Spray paint will not come off with alcohol.

Zs2Ft5.jpg

Zs24Hj.jpg

Zs2XeK.jpg

Final result, about 45 minutes. Still need to re-glue the pearl.

Zs2x4E.jpg

Reactions: saucin and Manuel.b

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Do you mean me? If yes, I have done the paint mod three times... and have much more than 10 rep watches.

My steps: cleaning with alcohol. Do paint mod, 1h time to dry. Then next paint. Wait 24 hours clean up with water. Works perfekt for me. If you want I can show you pictures from the Molotov painters and the warches ;-)

I have although pictures of my paint mod process..

No I wasn't referring to you.

Reactions: ProGamer73061

Manuel.b

Renowned Member
15/1/21
Italia
Molotow, Posca, and sharpie mods are fine if your insert is still installed on a watch, and with proper care they can last a good while.

If an insert is off the watch and for a longer lasting more durable paint mod, spray paint can be used.

I tried 3 or 4 different colors of gold for my upcoming gold Hulk and settled on Posca gold but wasn't completely happy with the color shade.

Zs2s4I.jpg

So as a last ditch effort I paint modded a junk insert with some Rustoleum Metallic Gold and it looks much better to me.

Zs2GEF.jpg

Zs2My4.jpg

Unfortunately I had already re-glued the pearl so it had to come off again, arghh.

Zs2EPi.jpg

I repainted the insert and waited 24 hours for it to fully cure.

Zs2kE1.jpg

I always remove excess spray paint with a razor blade first. Find a good angle to scape and avoid pushing shavings into the cutouts. Brush them away with a small brush.

Zs2drv.jpg

Zs2ucc.jpg

Zs27mX.jpg

Zs20Ht.jpg

Be careful around the triangle

Zs2b12.jpg

Zs2fep.jpg

Next, swipe away the remaining paint with thinner. Spray paint will not come off with alcohol.

Zs2Ft5.jpg

Zs24Hj.jpg

Zs2XeK.jpg

Final result, about 45 minutes. Still need to re-glue the pearl.

Zs2x4E.jpg

Hell kj2020, but you are an artist, Leonardo Da Vinci could envy your works of art!!!
You are great indeed!!!!!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Hell kj2020, but you are an artist, Leonardo Da Vinci could envy your works of art!!!
You are great indeed!!!!!

LOL bro. It's just spray paint but thanks. We do love our toys to look something like the real ones. Fortunately for me I'm fairly easily contented, haha.

Reactions: Manuel.b