• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Release GMF Daydate 40mm models. What you think?

Doc brown

Supporter
Certified
1/11/17
Never tried a 2834 bro but it is much larger in diameter than the 2836 (29mm vs 25.6mm) and the daywheel sits very close to the outer perimeter so I think there would be some issues:

Fitting it to the rep case (esp. 36mm DD), need a different custom movement holder for the DD41.

Lining up the daywheel with the dial window - you still need the rep DWO for Rolex day fonts

I think a better option is a gen ETA 2836 and swap in whatever rep parts are needed to retain the 12 o'clock daywheel.

Thank you my friend. Always great advice.

Reactions: KJ2020

Flavous1979

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/8/19
The president bracelet is so dang underrated.

So much hype for the jubilee out there and I don’t get it.

The hidden clasp is such a clean look.

I’ll take it over any jubilee all day long.

That’s all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Honeycomb

Bullflo3

Supporter
Certified
13/2/18
The president bracelet is so dang underrated.

So much hype for the jubilee out there and I don’t get it.

The hidden clasp is such a clean look.

I’ll take it over any jubilee all day long.

That’s all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100% agree!

Reactions: Flavous1979

Gds__Ares

Rolie Glitzer Glitzer
30/3/19
Austria
Love this model. Was going to go for the BP version but looks like this may convince me otherwise.

is it GMF over BP for daydates currently?

It is the same ......gmf and bp are sisters = 1 factory......
gmf uses 904l steel and bp only 316 steel....

Dferreira

17/3/18
When you guys say that the GMF bracelet feels cheap and flimsy, are you comparing it to a gen solid gold bracelet or are you comparing it to a good rep bracelet like a VSF submariner?

I have a gen daydate, and the bracelet feels out of this world. I also have a VSF submariner and it feels better than my gen 5 digit explorer II, but not as good as my gen daydate.

Bracelet is definitely make or break for me, and if it’s gonna feel like a cheap jingle-jangle jubilee from DHGate then I’ll pass on this. But if it feels good like a VSF submariner then that’s fine by me.

Super appreciate the help! :)

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
When you guys say that the GMF bracelet feels cheap and flimsy, are you comparing it to a gen solid gold bracelet or are you comparing it to a good rep bracelet like a VSF submariner?
I have a gen daydate, and the bracelet feels out of this world. I also have a VSF submariner and it feels better than my gen 5 digit explorer II, but not as good as my gen daydate.
Bracelet is definitely make or break for me, and if it’s gonna feel like a cheap jingle-jangle jubilee from DHGate then I’ll pass on this. But if it feels good like a VSF submariner then that’s fine by me.
Super appreciate the help! :)

The BP/GMF DD bracelets are better than many 4 digit gen bracelets. I have had maybe 5 or 6 (still have about 3), and they have two significant down sides.

- They are very light in weight. I can post the weight of a GMF DD40 complete later so you can compare to your gen. There is probably about 70g difference. These bracelets can make a little noise without an oil bath but are not rattly like 4 and 5 digit gen bracelets can be. I hear rotor noise more than bracelet noise on mine, and my rotors are reasonably quiet. Not like a DG or Miyota.

- There are 6 link edges on a President bracelet. Only the two outermost edges are nicely polished. The 4 inner link edges are less finished, in some cases quite rough and sharp under a loupe. So sliding your finger across sideways can actually hurt or catch on clothing, etc.

I spent several hours buffing these edges down on one bracelet, another one I replaced with a PCL oyster. YG or RG bracelets suffer less from the sharp links issue but they have their own plating issues, like all factory plated reps. Another option would of course be a nice leather strap.

Before and after buffing. RebrushIng the outer links is then necessary.

ZS8xs3.jpg

ZS8cqY.jpg

ZS8gXD.jpg

ZS8VDs.jpg

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Here you go. This has an extra link from what the factories give. They provide 23 links now not counting SELs. That won't fit a 7.25" wrist comfortably.

j43ST4.jpg

I still like these and wear them regularly.
j430bI.jpg

Dferreira

17/3/18
Here you go. This has an extra link from what the factories give. They provide 23 links now not counting SELs. That won't fit a 7.25" wrist comfortably.

j43ST4.jpg

I still like these and wear them regularly.
j430bI.jpg

Thankyou for the feedback, and I appreciate the heads up about needing to order an extra link :)

The weight of the watch isn’t really a concern for me, and it would be unreasonable considering the gen is gold. 122 grams is definitely light, but it’s the same as my explorer so it’ll be fine. I assume the weight is the main reason Rolex choose to use precious metals for the daydate as opposed to regular steel, otherwise it would just feel like a regular datejust on the wrist.

I’ve experienced a sharp metal DH Gate bracelet before, but if a RG plated bracelet will be less sharp then I’m happy with that. The Gen daydate bracelet has strongly defined edges as well so it should be okay.

How’s the mechanism on the clasp? Gen clasp has zero wobble and closes with a satisfying click.

Finally, how about the movement? I’ve seen some watches come with the 2836 (?) and others have a 3255. From what I’ve read, the difference is just a decorative plate and rotor to make it look like a gen movement but it’s not a proper clone like a VS3235.
is the 2836 reliable and serviceable ?

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thankyou for the feedback, and I appreciate the heads up about needing to order an extra link :)

The weight of the watch isn’t really a concern for me, and it would be unreasonable considering the gen is gold. 122 grams is definitely light, but it’s the same as my explorer so it’ll be fine. I assume the weight is the main reason Rolex choose to use precious metals for the daydate as opposed to regular steel, otherwise it would just feel like a regular datejust on the wrist.

I’ve experienced a sharp metal DH Gate bracelet before, but if a RG plated bracelet will be less sharp then I’m happy with that. The Gen daydate bracelet has strongly defined edges as well so it should be okay.

How’s the mechanism on the clasp? Gen clasp has zero wobble and closes with a satisfying click.

Finally, how about the movement? I’ve seen some watches come with the 2836 (?) and others have a 3255. From what I’ve read, the difference is just a decorative plate and rotor to make it look like a gen movement but it’s not a proper clone like a VS3235.
is the 2836 reliable and serviceable ?

All my BP/GMF clasps have been fine, 2836 clones are workhorses, hardly ever an issue and easily repaired or replaced. BP also offers these in 2813s. other than that they are all 2836 AFAIK, some with deco plates. Noob did all 2836 with 3255 deco plates, EWF uses them too.

JDF and DDF have some out now too, haven't had any of those in hand. Blue stone and Malachite look interesting, I've always liked the Malachite dials in a YG case, might be worth a try.

https://puretimewatch.io/catalogsearch/result/?q=day-date+EWF

Carizmatic

Known Member
25/12/12
I've received the Daydate Rosegold/ Green Dial GMF and i really have to say it is such a beatiful rep. I already owned a couple of Reps and this particular watch is awesome. The only issue i have to deal with is that i have to find someone who is able to sell some links and screws so i can wear it the way it was supposed to be. I am in touch with puretime right now but too expensive just buying 2 links and 2 screws having them send these tiny parts to my hands. If you guys have an idea, please just let me know.

But regardless this issue, The daydate is and always will be an exclusive watch, especially when it comes to the president bracelet, which is an underrated bracelet btw.

Reactions: Barajacko

Carizmatic

Known Member
25/12/12
I've received the Daydate Rosegold/ Green Dial GMF and i really have to say it is such a beatiful rep. I already owned a couple of Reps and this particular watch is awesome. The only issue i have to deal with is that i have to find someone who is able to sell some links and screws so i can wear it the way it was supposed to be. I am in touch with puretime right now but too expensive just buying 2 links and 2 screws having them send these tiny parts to my hands. If you guys have an idea, please just let me know.

But regardless this issue, The daydate is and always will be an exclusive watch, especially when it comes to the president bracelet, which is an underrated bracelet btw.

Cheers 2 all DayDaters out there!

Reactions: Barajacko

Barajacko

Horology Curious
2/2/23
Germany
I am thinking of buying one of the new GMF Daydates, the one with Tungsten really seem nice to me. Of course there is the typical "more functions=more problems" issue with the DD's, but i think the overall look of these is pretty good.
I always loved the YG 40mm
At least worth a try.

• Love
Reactions: mcboom