• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Today we tested all the popular SUBs for 904L steel

puretime

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
16/3/06
Only 2 of them turn out to be using 904L entirely and one of them is using 316L but advertised as 904L and the rest are 316/904 hybrids

bec2c4f5579f53208b3c75300d2dec85.jpg
9a78cb7fe970457d40dd1f89dcfa2789.jpg
e6f4de82439ec3305dec9b7d88b644ee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

waxdec

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/11/19
Why though? When steel, whether it's 904L or 316, is so cheap anyway.

Pretty disgusting behaviour.

Last edited:
Reactions: mari115

Kayatsu1

12/10/19
And then what?
For sure the two “winners” will be ARF and ZF, that are also the closest factories to you.
At this point to be transparent I would test also the quality of the ceramic insert! And there VSF will win. Or maybe if they are using real platinum.
As long as watches are ok visually nobody cares if they use 904L of a mixture because I bet that also ARF 904L is not Rolex standard. I would take time to make more meaningful comparisons than this. 904L is only a small part of the picture because I rather prefer to have 316L than dull or discoloring inserts or milky crystals.

Ferax

Supporter
Certified
17/12/17
Kayatsu1
Hell no. Can't agree with you. Got the Noob V10 and the ARF V3. The diffrence is huge. Noob feels really cheap, while the ARF is just genlike. This is why I bought a rubber B strap for the Noob because I couldnt stand the bracelet.

Reactions: masterpiece777

Zenth

Known Member
12/9/20
And then what?
For sure the two “winners” will be ARF and ZF, that are also the closest factories to you.
At this point to be transparent I would test also the quality of the ceramic insert! And there VSF will win. Or maybe if they are using real platinum.
As long as watches are ok visually nobody cares if they use 904L of a mixture because I bet that also ARF 904L is not Rolex standard. I would take time to make more meaningful comparisons than this. 904L is only a small part of the picture because I rather prefer to have 316L than dull or discoloring inserts or milky crystals.

C’mon Bro! It's opportunity for consumers. is’t it?
it very useful for making decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kayatsu1

12/10/19
Kayatsu1
Hell no. Can't agree with you. Got the Noob V10 and the ARF V3. The diffrence is huge. Noob feels really cheap, while the ARF is just genlike. This is why I bought a rubber B strap for the Noob because I couldnt stand the bracelet.

I respect your opinion but the difference in the bracelets is given by the way they are built. You can have a 316L mixture bracelet more gen like than a 904L. 904L in rep world is a bit of a marketing gimmick and you can see the difference in only selected cases. What I want to say is that every factory has its own point of strength and this comparison is biased towards ARF and ZF but in real life difference will be subtle (if present at all). There are other things much more important in a sub and it would be better to have a fair comparison on important things.

Reactions: CivilGra and Sdc83

Kayatsu1

12/10/19
C’mon Bro! It's opportunity for consumers. is’t it?

My point is more towards the fact that everybody knows that ARF (and if you followed ZF release you know it’s the same for ZF) is heavily relying on 904L for marketing. A comparison only based on steel used it is a bit biased and we all know how Angus is close with ZF and ARF. I would rather take time to make more meaningful comparisons.
I can agree with you on the fact that for consumers it’s always pleasant to know.

AJ82

Known Member
19/3/17
Europe
My point is more towards the fact that everybody knows that ARF (and if you followed ZF release you know it’s the same for ZF) is heavily relying on 904L for marketing. A comparison only based on steel used it is a bit biased and we all know how Angus is close with ZF and ARF. I would rather take time to make more meaningful comparisons.
I can agree with you on the fact that for consumers it’s always pleasant to know.

Just look at it as one more piece in the puzzle... Any information is good information in this game, as long its correct.

Kayatsu1

12/10/19
Just look at it as one more piece in the puzzle... Any information is good information in this game, as long its correct.

Well, good point of view. I just hope that this won’t be the only information we will receive because there are,in my opinion, more relevant ones.

Zenth

Known Member
12/9/20

Just share my perspective my friend
I really understand to you my friend. But I always love to see a lot of comparisons and test before make decision. Thus i think this is benefit for who still find out best Submariner :)

Last edited:
Reactions: kavorca1

Kayatsu1

12/10/19
Just share my perspective my friend
I really understand to you my friend. But I always love to see a lot of comparisons and test before make decision. Thus i think this is benefit for who still find out best Submariner :)

We can all agree that, in the end, it’s better this comparison than no comparisons ahah!
I understand your position. Just hope we will have more comparisons.