• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Release: Noob Skydweller

KrX

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/5/20
I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you mean that it appears the two digits of the 22 look like they lean apart from each other (like the shape of a V), I agree that it can appear that way. But IMO that's an illusion aided by the juxtaposition of the GMT wheel and dial arcs.

I thought the same thing about the number 24 but dismissed it on closer inspection. Look at this pic, those grid lines are perfectly straight (not drawn by me).

ukfep.jpg
[/QUOTThanks bro!!! Yes I mean the 22 have a shape of a V ! But indeed on your picture the line is correct ...

KrX

12/5/20
I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you mean that it appears the two digits of the 22 look like they lean apart from each other (like the shape of a V), I agree that it can appear that way. But IMO that's an illusion aided by the juxtaposition of the GMT wheel and dial arcs.

I thought the same thing about the number 24 but dismissed it on closer inspection. Look at this pic, those grid lines are perfectly straight (not drawn by me).

ukfep.jpg

Thanks bro for your works

Reactions: KJ2020

Carbon Summit

Renowned Member
10/12/19
United States
Can't wait to get one in the hand, but the odds of me having a gen Sky-Dweller are none!
One of the gen owners please buy one for a real head to head comparison!!!!

gstand

22/4/20
The more I look at this watch, the more disappointed I become.

The arrow above the 24 hour wheel, the numbers on the 24 hour wheel (22, 23, 24 especially) not following the radius of the wheel, the poor top/bottom centering of the hour labels on the wheel, the thick coronet, the print / font of the Rolex label, the font of the Sky Dweller label and wording below it, the thick metal edges of the hour markers....the dial is a mess.

This is not a good replica - it looks too sloppy for the money. Also, add in the 316L, the 23J movement / 21,600 bph, and it just doesn't add up. Now , if it was a $50 replica, then it might explain the sloppiness. However, for almost $400, I would expect better.

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I don't agree that it's not a good replica. None of your criticisms about the dial are of any consequence on the wrist and not near a gen. The coronet and hour marker surrounds are fine, the GMT wheel numerals are centered vertically - they can look off due to shadows or angle of view. The numerals' lack of conformity to dial radius is a negligible issue. Same with the red triangle position. The movement is stable and reliable, unlike Noob's GMT Pepsi which sells readily for $688. 904L is high priced hype IMO.

It all comes down to individual tolerance for minor deviations from the minimum $15K gen. I quite enjoyed my $158 previous version of this rep and the Noob is considerably better in some very significant ways. I'm confident I will be quite satisfied with it, despite its admittedly slightly high price tag. These are toys we are playing with afterall. I try to like them for what they are and not dislike them for what they aren't. There's a lot to like about this model.

uj2dS.jpg

gstand

22/4/20
I think you are trying to make the argument that this watch is a good representation, not a good replica, and I concede that assertion - it's a nice homage that one can wear and enjoy.

However, the point of a replica is to replicate the original. To do this, quantifiable criteria must be applied to assess the physical and cosmetic characteristics of the replica when compared to the original. The more criteria that are met, the better the replica, and vice versa. After all, that's the name of the game. That's why there are so many versions of the same watch models. It's an attempt to reduce the variances between the replica and the original. Therefore, it does matter if a "replica" possesses too many variances - especially when compared side-by-side with an original. Also, this is why you bought this watch - clearly it is closer to a gen than your last one. You stated that this model was significantly better - so you are applying criteria as well. Otherwise, you would have been satisfied with your $158 version.

The only difference is that you are willing to accept more variances than I am. That is a different argument, and everyone has a different tolerance level for defects, so I can't disagree with you on that matter.

Objectively though, this watch fails to meet a great many criteria. The case lugs are wrong, the SELS are wrong, and most of the dial traits are off significantly. I'm not saying it looks bad because I'm not - I think it looks great....it's just not a good replica, in the strict sense of the term.

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I'm not saying it looks bad because I'm not - I think it looks great....it's just not a good replica, in the strict sense of the term.

Fair enough bro, points well made and taken. Maybe we should change the forum name to Facsimile Watch Info though so more of our toys can qualify as good, lol.

Reactions: Ams55557

gstand

22/4/20
Fair enough bro, points well made and taken. Maybe we should change the forum name to Facsimile Watch Info though so more of our toys can qualify as good, lol.

hehehe.....or Replica Watch Evolution Info....it seems like most rep watches require a great many iterations before they reduce the defects down to one or two... ;)

Reactions: KJ2020

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
[mention]gstand [/mention]nicely written, conveyed the point well. You made me re-think the rep, it’s step a the right direction for sure. I guess we will need to wait a few versions of the watches evolution or (devolution) in some case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Yachtmaster_Chris

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Hi all, Here are some of my QC pics which I already approved - now waiting for tracking. The watch looks great as far as I can see.

IMG_1609.jpg

Agreed bro, looks marvelous. I'm on day 9 after tracking recieved for mine, and still not picked up by DHL yet. On the plus side, another order just got picked up by DHL after 10 days. I was hoping they would both go together but any progress is always welcome news.

aquamac

Pamaholic
Certified
28/6/16
UK
Agreed bro, looks marvelous. I'm on day 9 after tracking recieved for mine, and still not picked up by DHL yet. On the plus side, another order just got picked up by DHL after 10 days. I was hoping they would both go together but any progress is always welcome news.

Hi mate, True to say, Couriers and the post are all over the place at the moment. It generally took 2 - 2.5 weeks from tracking to delivery to the UK in the past, but this is the first watch I have ordered since China was in lockdown so I'm not expecting things to be very quick. I ordered a couple of watches from a good member of this site over lockdown in the US and the package took 10 weeks. Man, I thought they were lost, but we hung in and they turned up eventually. I'm really looking forward to getting this, the Blue Skydweller has been my grail watch for ages.

aquamac

Pamaholic
Certified
28/6/16
UK
I think the Noob, is the best we will see for some time unless there is an real push on quality. Probably the version 2 might be a bit more accurate with dial colour and other small details, but I think the idea they have had, to allow the “Month” setting is great, rather than a fixed setting like on the RM 011 with the month stuck at “8”.

A new version of the Yachtmaster II was brought out recently - the count down timer and bezel is still basically the same non function from a few years back, so I would say to most folks, don’t hang around waiting for more functionality, you may eventually get a higher beat rate but That would be some time down the line!

Reactions: vcappp and KJ2020