• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New 16610 out? Experts?

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
speedy1969 I agree with all your points, and will just add that even the improved lugs may or may not show up on watches when they are delivered. Recall Noob was able to do a few "perfect" cases at the beginning of the V7 and V9 batches, but most are totally uneven. Same goes for the JF--if you were lucky, you could find one with decent and symmetrical lugs, but many are so bad that they sit below the SEL, not even flush. ARF has dropped the ball on 116610 cases sometimes in this regard, so let's see how this case turns out.

Reactions: 5ive-Digits-0nly

Daryl70

3/7/19
So the chamfer on the side of the lugs should not be there? This is based on a 2003-2007 model the date wheel is terrible and the dial markers should be rounded but as a franken these things can be changed also I want to add a glidelock to mine I know this isn't period correct but I like the function. Also the serial number doesn't match the 2003-2007 model. Then again whos going to see that unless your passing it off as gen to a shop they would just open the cashback and see the balance wheel is not right anyways.

So on the wrist the only tell would be the chamfered lugs if you go gen dw dial hands bezel insert and crystal

houss1981

15/3/17
So the chamfer on the side of the lugs should not be there? This is based on a 2003-2007 model the date wheel is terrible and the dial markers should be rounded but as a franken these things can be changed also I want to add a glidelock to mine I know this isn't period correct but I like the function. Also the serial number doesn't match the 2003-2007 model. Then again whos going to see that unless your passing it off as gen to a shop they would just open the cashback and see the balance wheel is not right anyways.

So on the wrist the only tell would be the chamfered lugs if you go gen dw dial hands bezel insert and crystal

what factory has a decent dial and hands for a 16610 LN?

botsyboy

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
1/9/09
U.K.

Chamfered lugs isn’t a tell as a factory refinished case will have chamfers if it was damaged beyond standard repolishing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
Chamfered lugs isn’t a tell as a factory refinished case will have chamfers if it was damaged beyond standard repolishing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed, and in fact even RSC will sometimes send sport models back with excessive chamfering.

Daryl70

3/7/19

well thats interesting I didn't know that so a 2003-2007 model would have chamfered lugs so really its just auxiliary parts then to make this close to gen from R factory

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
At some point it was rumoured that JF and ARF were sister factories. I guess it's just a rumour as the only thing they have in common is awful date fonts. That being said, I still think JF is a better bang for your buck than this one. While I love good SELs, I really despise those massive bevelled lugs. I had them on my BP 16710 and was one of the things I wasn't able to settle with. Been considering a piece to buy recently, just for fun, and the Submariner is the most obvious and iconic choice. Unfortunately I'd rather get a cheap BP with a Miyota or spend more on a JF than this as I can't see any improvement.

Makoto

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/2/20
Is there a discussion of Jf v1 vs v2? I can’t seem to find one. Would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daryl70

3/7/19
At some point it was rumoured that JF and ARF were sister factories. I guess it's just a rumour as the only thing they have in common is awful date fonts. That being said, I still think JF is a better bang for your buck than this one. While I love good SELs, I really despise those massive bevelled lugs. I had them on my BP 16710 and was one of the things I wasn't able to settle with. Been considering a piece to buy recently, just for fun, and the Submariner is the most obvious and iconic choice. Unfortunately I'd rather get a cheap BP with a Miyota or spend more on a JF than this as I can't see any improvement.

I always thought that jf and arf was the same factory too by what I've read on the forums. The arf 16610ln although they are the pictures of the new watch. My td said that it was not officially released yet. so with a bit of luck they can do some changes like put a better movement and dw in it for when its released this Thursday coming.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
I always thought that jf and arf was the same factory too by what I've read on the forums. The arf 16610ln although they are the pictures of the new watch. My td said that it was not officially released yet. so with a bit of luck they can do some changes like put a better movement and dw in it for when its released this Thursday coming.

Just by having a DW like the one they have on the decent 116610LNs and swapping the movement for a vr3135 they would have a best seller.

Still, while I’m sure watch enthusiasts would gladly buy a 16610LN, the vast majority of buyers that just want to flash a Rolex at other pub fellows will probably prefer the more luxury looks of the new 116610LN/LV.

Daryl70

3/7/19
Just by having a DW like the one they have on the decent 116610LNs and swapping the movement for a vr3135 they would have a best seller.

Still, while I’m sure watch enthusiasts would gladly buy a 16610LN, the vast majority of buyers that just want to flash a Rolex at other pub fellows will probably prefer the more luxury looks of the new 116610LN/LV.

Yeah the vr3135 movement dropped in this watch I think it would sell like crazy! I for one definitely would purchase it with a vr3135 movement in a heart beat. This will be my second purchase i bought the 116610ln first now I'm going back in time. Also this will be my first franken hopefully

Reactions: Hinclimincli

Makoto

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/2/20
I understand that the JF LV version 2 is better but unfortunately that isnt available anymore.

I asked multiple TD’s and the only JF LV available is the one with the engravings in the rehaut (version 1), which doesn’t seem to be the sought out one.

Could any expert here confirm that this new ARF version is at least better than the JF LV V1 with rehaut engraving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rubberman

Forever young
Patron
Certified
9/12/17
Will this case hold an ETA2824 movement?

Short answer is YES. The long answer is it is not a straight swap.
2824 can fit into the watch, you'll need a movement holder/ring to hold it in place as 2824 is smaller than 3135/clone. You will also need a set of new hands and find a way to hold the dial in place (glue, solder new feet/dial dot) as they have different feet position. A great example is TC, the case is made to accommodate a 3135, TC held his 2824 in place with a movement ring.
Oh, don't forget to do datewheel overlay too, to shift the ETA date position ~0.9/1mm to the left (towards center).
Cheers mate

Bustyouup4free

Renowned Member
1/2/14
2824 can fit into the watch, you'll need a movement holder/ring to hold it in place as 2824 is smaller than 3135/clone. You will also need a set of new hands and find a way to hold the dial in place (glue, solder new feet/dial dot) as they have different feet position. A great example is TC, the case is made to accommodate a 3135, TC held his 2824 in place with a movement ring.
Oh, don't forget to do datewheel overlay too, to shift the ETA date position ~0.9/1mm to the left (towards center).
Cheers mate
that's exactly why I saved TC movement holders, v4 dwo, KH dials and hands. So when I decide to build a 3135 sub I can throw in my TC stuff.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Cheers mate

Thanks.

I have 2 options of movement - an a2428 which is in a BP Kermit, or an ETA which is in an old Steinhart I never wear.
I wonder if the movement holder from the BP will suffice...

If I go with the LV, I'll take across the hands from the BP along with the movement.

No problem for the hands - I understand that Clarks and Startime will have the right ones.
I'll need a DW as well, which is mandatory on the ARF anyway.

I'm happy to clip the feet of this one and dial dot it / epoxy some dial feet on.

Could be a late summer project...

Last edited:

Rubberman

Forever young
Patron
Certified
9/12/17
Thanks.

I have 2 options of movement - an a2428 which is in a BP Kermit, or an ETA which is in an old Steinhart I never wear.
I wonder if the movement holder from the BP will suffice...

If I go with the LV, I'll take across the hands from the BP along with the movement.

No problem for the hands - I understand that Clarks and Startime will have the right ones.
I'll need a DW as well, which is mandatory on the ARF anyway.

I'm happy to clip the feet of this one and dial dot it / epoxy some dial feet on.

Could be a late summer project...

Sounds like a good plan.
I not sure what Clark and ST are offering on ETA Mercedes hands, I've tried WSO, RafflesDial and RafflesTime and they're all not correct for a LV build. They are not Maxi hands. In the end I get 2 sets of BP 2836 hands from my dealer.

Good luck for the project! Do share some pictures along the way for your build.
Cheers