• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Solid Gold Rolex Cases - Gauging Interest

Dpap

Renowned Member
Gold Patron
Certified
20/6/13
It’s quite a steep mark up! However, everyone needs to make their margin, I guess. Best bet would be figuring who ST source their cases from...

What do you think the acrual cost would be?

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
What do you think the acrual cost would be?

It's tough to say. It would depend a lot on the cost of gold at the time, the processes they used to make the case, and whether they already had access to certain machines/skills or had to pay someone else to do it.

There are also non-manufacturing costs. Anytime you're dealing with creating and distributing replacement watch parts, even ones that have no brand marks, you're entering risky legal territory. Rolex is especially litigious, so there are potential legal costs that come with taking steps to avoid litigation and dealing with litigation if/when it arises.

Last edited:

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
It’s quite a steep mark up! However, everyone needs to make their margin, I guess. Best bet would be figuring who ST source their cases from...

I saw the same case in a parts catalog my watchmaker showed me. It was still pretty heavily marked up but not as high - I want to say closer to $4,000.

Reactions: arshia

naturaqua

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/7/18
I have a gen fluted YG bezel for the 40 mm Day-Date that I want to sell but after seeing this thread I'm in doubt.... :) This sounds really interesting!

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
Everything's set to move forward - the only obstacle is cost because of the price of gold right now.

Are people willing to pay $4000 for a gen spec 18 karat gold Daytona case?

Edit: six-digit, classic case design (116528, 116508, etc). If it does well, I'll make them in the newer PM designs.

Last edited:

Tione12

11/6/19
Many of us are interested in this project =) thanks for sharing the process with us.

Cheers!

Dpap

Renowned Member
Gold Patron
Certified
20/6/13
Everything's set to move forward - the only obstacle is cost because of the price of gold right now.

Edit: six-digit, classic case design (116528, 116508, etc). If it does well, I'll make them in the newer PM designs.

If the color is right, yes. Also demand for 4- and 5-digit models...

Cadows

I'm Pretty Popular
29/3/18
Europe

By “gen spec” you mean everything including rehaut?

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
I'll post some photos of gold daytonas without rehaut engraving once ClickPix is up and running again. Both the old PM case design and new PM case designs didn't have rehaut engraving for awhile.

Reactions: Cadows

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
Old Case Design
XgKRc.jpg

New Case Design
Xg2hX.jpg

Last edited:

arshia

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/4/13
would you be charging 4000$ for just the case or would you be providing the bracelet too?

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
would you be charging 4000$ for just the case or would you be providing the bracelet too?

It would be roughly 4k worth of gold for just the midcase and caseback - that's without the labor charge. The bracelet actually makes up a huge chunk of the weight of the watch. It alone is probably 4-5k worth of gold.

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
It would be roughly 4k worth of gold for just the midcase and caseback - that's without the labor charge. The bracelet actually makes up a huge chunk of the weight of the watch. It alone is probably 4-5k worth of gold.

Absolutely no point in doing that when a gen solid gold day date sells for about that amount.
You gotta find a way to make it cheaper.
Try using 14k.

Last edited:

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
Absolutely no point in doing that when a gen solid gold day date sells for about that amount.
You gotta find a way to make it cheaper.
Try using 14k.

The only way to make it cheaper would be to use a lower karat, but then the weight and color would be off.

Even at 5k a case, that's still a fraction of a gen gold daytona, but I agree it's a lot of money.