• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Solid Gold Rolex Cases - Gauging Interest

swisstswiss

Known Member
3/5/18
Hi...I talk whit a goldsmith in Italy that time ago produce the case for some Rolex in solid gold...now is all different and a bit more easy...this is what he say:
1 the case ss and gold are different ( the inner parts of the gold one is totally different ) so for your sample you need a gold case
2) color of genuine Rolex is a bit different Rolex use a special legacy for is watch
3) yes whit the new technology you can use the 3d printer to make the sample of the case set,but this tool make a reduction from the real case and the scan so you have to do a lot of test...before have the correct case back/case fitment...
all the machines for the finishing and trust me is very difficult to do the lugs and cg correct if you don’t have the specific machine...also if you don’t have experience polishing gold is very easy to puncture the case...now he don’t make case set...and is also closed for the covid19 when this finish I have to meet him and can ask if can do this work or if can share is old mold if you like...let me know if you need some more information...good day
(Sorry for my English)

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando RWI

Ac1013

Renowned Member
Certified
23/3/13
I found a asia deal who have success in making gold daytona case and bracelet . in full solid gold. It has all the engraving too. However cost is quite high. $48usd / k and a oysterflex daytona use around 160k plus 1000$ machines fee.
i am thinking , why not just custom make a movement ring for the noob4130 and put it on to gain weight ? Isnt that easier ??

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
Cadows was kind enough to post the breakdown for Rolex's RG alloy. Does anyone happen to know what the breakdown for YG and WG is?

pt98765

9/4/20
UK
Following this with interest. Would be super keen to buy multiple.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
White gold is just rhodium plated light yellow gold. Theres no such thing as silver coloured gold. They just plate it with rhodium to make people think its whiter. It is still gold though obviously just with a thin layer plated on top.

SKnight

8/7/19
Following this closely. Would be interested in a day just and Daytona both in RG

Dissemination

Renowned Member
15/6/19
San Jose, CA
Not to get too off topic, but if we are talking about machining and gold and such, I'd sure be a sucker for a two tone solid gold six digit sub bracelet!

christo14

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
19/2/16
White gold is just rhodium plated light yellow gold. Theres no such thing as silver coloured gold. They just plate it with rhodium to make people think its whiter. It is still gold though obviously just with a thin layer plated on top.

I never knew this! I thought it would be a polished alloy. I did some reading and came across a good thread on a jewellery forum explaining this if anyone else was interested.

​​​​​​https://www.finishing.com/131/32.shtml

Reactions: RayBubble

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
I never knew this! I thought it would be a polished alloy. I did some reading and came across a good thread on a jewellery forum explaining this if anyone else was interested.

​​​​​​https://www.finishing.com/131/32.shtml

I've never known that, i thought that white gold was just an alloy of that color... so you are telling me that if i scrape a gen WG daytona i'll eventually find a white-ish gold color?

Reactions: christo14

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
precious-metal-comparison.png

Reactions: christo14

RayBubble

You're Saying I Can Sell?
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
14/4/20
Europe

christo14

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
19/2/16

Is it just me that prefers the 14k palladium white gold alloy? Has a nice sheen to it but more depth than the rhodium. Also easier to differentiate between it and SS.

meckintosh

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/4/20
EU
Platinum is less than half the price of gold right now - a platona, platinum day date, or platinum yachmaster run might be the move.

I'm a fan of fantasy pieces, so a platinum sub or gmt could also be cool.

Platinum GMT? Sign me up!

Baron Rees

Renowned Member
Certified
2/3/14
For anyone wondering what the current alternatives are, see the links below. Even accounting for the cost of gold at the present value and manufacturing costs, that's a steep markup.

http://www.startimesupply.com/merch..._Code=RSC18K&Category_Code=1_07_1D_Rolex_Case
https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/case...-watch-case-for-rolex-movement--id1814283.htm

It’s quite a steep mark up! However, everyone needs to make their margin, I guess. Best bet would be figuring who ST source their cases from...

Riverwind85

26/4/18
I would be in for one white gold Daytona and one platona!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk