• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

JKF Vintage Daytonas are nice!

Cocoloiseau

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/5/19
Hey gang

Quick question.
My QC shows +10s/d and seems quite a lot compared to other QCs posted here.

Since i have no experience in handwind movements, do you feel the number is acceptable?

Thanks!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant RWI

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
Hey gang

Quick question.
My QC shows +10s/d and seems quite a lot compared to other QCs posted here.

Since i have no experience in handwind movements, do you feel the number is acceptable?

Thanks!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant RWI

10 is acceptable mate.

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
Mine package got returned by customs, so I’m awaiting the re-shipping. Was hoping to have it this weekend. The wait continues :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
My latest consignment from Marvellous Rep got turned back by customs in China, meaning he had to send it again. M told me it happens when the consignment the watches are in contains quartz, apparently.

Once they got through customs, it was only a week till they arrived. I now have 3 more JKF watches in the collection (no Daytonas this time tho).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: KJ2020

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
At a mcdonalds birthday party
Bellow i explain based on my scrub knowledge some of the flaws i can rmb of these awesome JKF daytonas.

There are a lot of flaws but build quality and HW chrono for under 300 is pretty great!

Last edited:

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
[Apologies the format of the previous post is kinda crap will repost it so it looks better]

Just a quick overview as to the flaws of the JKF daytonas due to the ST19 (VENUS 75) Movement:

6238 Pre-daytona
- Subdial spacing
- "T swiss T" interrupts the lume plot on the bottom of the dial and ends up cutting into the minute track instead of wrapping around the bottom of the subdial as per Gen.
- Flat af coronet
- The coronet at the 12 o'clock is flat and incorrect. Gen is thinner and the "balls" at the end of the coronet are rounded.
-Thickness
- Rep is around 14.5 to 15mm with the crystal

6239 Normal dial

- Subdial spacing
- "T swiss T" interrupts the lume plot on the bottom of the dial.

- Flat af coronet
- The coronet at the 12 o'clock is flat and incorrect. Gen is thinner and the "balls" at the end of the coronet are rounded.

-Thickness
- Rep is around 14.5 to 15mm with the crystal.

- Bezel
- Bezel is SUPER high polish making it look super brand new which is definitely not like gen.

6239 Paul Newman dial

- Subdial spacing
- Bottom subdial has no space between it and the minute track, however one benefit is that it has the bottom lume plot present!

- Red "DAYTONA"
- The red "DAYTONA" text is too small and hugging the top of the subdial whilst it should be floating on gen. Colour is also too red. (this is present on all Paul newmans except the two colour 6263 panda and is also present on the 6263 big reds)

- Flat af coronet

-Thickness

- Bezel
- Bezel is SUPER high polish making it look super brand new which is definitely not like gen.

- Dial font
- The subdial font looks faded out and too thick.

- Subdial texture
- The subdials of Black PN Dials have a shiny metallic finish whilst gen has a flatter white finish.

Last edited:

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
6241 Normal Dial

- Subdial spacing

- Flat af coronet

-Thickness
- Rep is around 14.5 to 15mm with the crystal.

- Bezel
- Bezel does not have a flat "S" like on Gen. Font is a little fat and pushed a bit close too the outer edge of the bezel.

6241 Paul Newman Dial

- Subdial spacing
- Bottom subdial has no space between it and the minute track, however one benefit is that it has the bottom lume plot present!

- Red "DAYTONA"
- The red "DAYTONA" text is too small and hugging the top of the subdial whilst it should be floating on gen. Colour is also too red. (this is present on all Paul newmans except the two colour 6263 panda and is also present on the 6263 big reds)

- Flat af coronet

-Thickness

- Bezel
- Bezel does not have a flat "S" like on Gen. Font is a little fat and pushed a bit close too the outer edge of the bezel.

- Dial font

- Subdial texture
- The subdials of Black PN Dials have a shiny metallic finish whilst gen has a flatter white finish.

Last edited:
Reactions: RiffRalf

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
6263 Big Red dial

- Subdial spacing

- Red "DAYTONA"
- The red "DAYTONA" text is actually not too bad on this watch however the red could be a bit more muted.

- Flat af coronet

-Thickness

- Bezel

6263 Tri colour Paul Newman Dial

- Subdial spacing
- The subdials on these aren't too bad, however they end up being smaller due to JKF leaving some space between the subdial and the minute track. Lume plot is present!

- Red "DAYTONA"
- The red "DAYTONA" text is actually not too bad on this watch however the red could be a bit more muted.

- Flat af coronet

-Thickness

- Bezel

- Dial font

- Subdial texture

Reactions: RiffRalf

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
6263 Bi colour Paul Newman Dial

- Subdial spacing
- The subdials on these aren't too bad, however they end up being smaller due to JKF leaving some space between the subdial and the minute track. Lume plot is present!

- Flat af coronet

-Thickness

- Bezel

- Dial font

- Subdial texture
- The subdials of Black PN Dials have a shiny metallic finish whilst gen has a flatter white finish. Also PN 6263 black dials should have a RCO instead of ROC.

Imo the bi colour PN Daytona is the best tri colour is questionably not gen.

The JKF bi colour dial is closest to a MK1 Bi colour panda daytona.

To conclude, after collecting like 5 of these i think the best route is to get someone like kilowattore or tripdog or yodog to install gen spec dial, t21 crystal, athaya crown tube and crown, handset and 6 o'clock subidal mod to allow the gen spec dial to fit. Some ageing if you like it too. I am currently getting a black dial RCO 6263 commissioned by kilowattore and will post pics when it gets here.

Spoons

Patron
Certified
21/4/19
6263 Big Red dial

- Bezel

The QC photos posted by earlier in this thread WatchGuy>IT showed a flat "S" bezel, but all of your other points are spot on.

Has anyone asked Marv if he can source a spare 6265 (steel) bezel if you order a 6263 (bakelite) watch or vice versa. It would be nice to be able to swap bezels to change up the look periodically.

a5UDF.jpg

FYI, for those considering switching to a gen spec bezel, there appears to be an issue with the cartel cases having a wider lip on the midcase that would require either machining the case or the gen spec bezel in order to get a gen spec bezel to sit flush on the cartel case. I asked TheSociety about that here, but so far he hasn't responded.

e749576f144c938577a49864666ab7ef.jpg

Last edited:

Spoons

Patron
Certified
21/4/19
Here is a diagram I found on RWG regarding the machining of a gen spec bezel to fit the cartel case:

Reactions: stufuse

ssouthall6

10/10/13
Received mine today. Dial has been discussed, crystal sits too high and the spring bars are crap. Apart from that it's nice enough.

Did anyone get anything back from yuki or Ruby on the dial? Or work out if there is a half decent jubilee that will fit this?

I'll try and get a gen 12 if I can find a half decent dial as it's not a bad little watch for the money at all

Reactions: KJ2020 and stufuse

stufuse

22/10/17
UK
Received mine today. Dial has been discussed, crystal sits too high and the spring bars are crap. Apart from that it's nice enough.

Did anyone get anything back from yuki or Ruby on the dial? Or work out if there is a half decent jubilee that will fit this?

I'll try and get a gen 12 if I can find a half decent dial as it's not a bad little watch for the money at all

Is it the crystal gasket keeping it up high?

ssouthall6

10/10/13
Is it the crystal gasket keeping it up high?

Had a closer look and it's likely a combination of the bezel and the crystal/gasket. Crystal doesn't seem quite domed enough, bezel looks a touch too thick. Subdial hands seem a touch too wide.

Sounds like I'm moaning...I'm not, it's a really nice watch

Reactions: KJ2020

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
Honestly I think it wouldn’t be too much if they decided to fix the smaller flaws on this watch and upped the price by 50-70%.

1. Move bezel numbers away from edge and make font thinner

2. coronet more gen like

3. 6 subdial mod since it’s already non functioning this one makes a lot of sense

4. A decent crystal this doesn’t even cost our modders much.

I think we could really push for these changes cos the vintage market is getting really hot and Daytonas are one of the super hot models. As more people look for reps of these crazy priced watches, they will most likely make more and maybe we can input some feedback.

stufuse

22/10/17
UK
Had a closer look and it's likely a combination of the bezel and the crystal/gasket. Crystal doesn't seem quite domed enough, bezel looks a touch too thick. Subdial hands seem a touch too wide.

Sounds like I'm moaning...I'm not, it's a really nice watch

From KJs initial side profile pics it looked like the bezel was a bit thick. I’d like to know if yuki have a gen spec dial and hands for it. Couldn’t see one listed