• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

116400 MILGAUSS WHITE BEST OTB 2019: REP VS FRANKEN?!

turdor

Horology Curious
13/11/12
Hey RWI!

MILGAUSS
WHITE DIAL
REP VS FRANKEN

I whant to get 116400 WHITE DIAL, and seems there is NO proper options?!
PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG - PLEASE!!! )))

All the rep options I can find at the moment are pretty bad:
0. Seconds hand are always incorrect (they say BP is a bit better?)
1. Hrs markers are incorrect silver instead of black or if you find black markers - fill/lume is very low quality (again is it BP?)
2. Mostly all variations have engravings like from DHGate (probably old photos?)
3. Many incorrect versions of minute markers - squares instead of numbers, black minute markers instead of orange
4. Fonts/signs may vary A LOT
5. Hrs/Min Hands usually are wrong size

The only one correct (at least by color) model was added 10 (!) years ago to TrustyTime catalogue and looks on control pics from 2012 well... BAD
https://imgur.com/a/GNYDj
Would love to see some more links to 116400 MILGAUSS WHITE rep please from a TD!

-------
NEXT: Franken build?

1.0 BP case seems to be a good start - where to source?
Does RafflesD offers BP Case in a Milgauss case package? That seems w engravings completelly off! BP cases seems to have proper engravings
1.1 what about 904 cases?
1.2 Is there any swiss or italian case available, like startime?

2.0 Dial - hmmm... there is no currently e decent dial I can find, RafflesD offers (probably) correct dial w bad quality hrs markers in a case w misplaced engravings or they offer separately incorrect dial (black minute markers) w very bad quality hrs markers. Vietnamese folks seems have nothing for this model.
2.1 Gen - I seen a while ago for EUR 600+ - seems the only proper option?

3.0 Hands - they say BP is the best? How to source? Raffles have some hands as well - as usuall not very sharp Flash =P
3.1 Gen is the way!

4.0 Movement/Hands - here we come to a question: all aftermarket parts are seems to be for ETA,
BUT Gen hands & Dial will only fit on unreliable SA3131 not even SH3131. So Gen project & aftermarket project = 2 different projects!?!?!
4.1 Someone mentioned recent BP SA3131 will not fit those hand - mod needed - what is that mod? Why not to go for ETA mod then?
4.2 SH3131 - mod needed, someone said hands will fit too low - what is that mod?
4.3 ETA + Gen Hands - I found someone mentioned there is might be a mod made, but none info on it - WOULD LOVE TO READ ABOUT IT PLZZZZ
4.4 ETA + Gen Dial - how?

-------
My conclusion so far:
I do not see a good rep (even if we forget about hands - what about dial?)
I do not see a good aftermarket build
Franken Build will include unreliable SA3131 (even that seems to be not possible anymore w/o a mod) or hands will be wrong or some unknown to me ETA mod + dial mod needed!
Gen build (movmnt+dial+hands++) in to Franken case/bracelet = is the way - is expensive way!!!

Any info apriciated!
cheerz!
t

Last edited:

nonox

30/3/12
I would try this option:

Arf gv base sh3131 (316 or 904 I never knew)
Gen dial
Gen second hand
Gen crystal or aftermarket crystal

You will have a decent Franken for 1200/1500€

In my experience, gen minute and hour hands will not fit on sh3131 (probably possible with modding) so you will just have a lume flaw (relume to green lume ?)

Reactions: cbinvb

whalejonah

6/4/19
If you're not going for gen hands (which will require modding), the BP seconds hand is in my opinion the closest to gen. The BP will take gen dial as well, and most TDs should be able to source it for you. ARF and DJF are a bit off and the zigzags of their lightning bolt seconds hands don't have the same sharpness as gen.

In terms of the lume flaw mentioned by nonox, it's quite common for milgauss to have mismatched dial and hands lume but like he/she said, you can always explore a relume option.

​​​​​​​If you don't want to build it yourself, you can ask some of the other people in RWI who build frankens. I've seen some nice 116400s for sale recently from pompompurin and Grimlocktime.

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Arf 116400 with sh3131 is out of stock and TDs can't seem to get it

Gen dial is expensive. Ur looking around $500 usd at least for a decent condition one

Gen hands are rare

If you build a white dial 116400, then you can get away with using aftermarket clear crystal (instead of the expensive gen green crystal)

turdor

Horology Curious
13/11/12
TYVM for reply to ALL!!!

some useful links I found:

About dial feet re-attach:
https://watchguy.co.uk/how-to-re-attach-dial-feet-with-a-soldering-machine/
https://watchguy.co.uk/how-to-re-attach-dial-feet-2/

About Milgauss hands bynonox:
https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo.../7386295-milgauss-arf-sh3131-gen-seconde-hand

So my questions to whalejonah pompompurin and nonox please:
1. do you have any info on modding gen hands to fit on ETA? Or general information on such a mod? PM or who to ask - apriciated!
2. Which case you think the best base case in your opinion and why?
Please do not get me wrong - I do not want to start arguing between everyone and everybody here and I do understand there might be not smply the best one, just different +&- for each case in someones opinion ;)

My ultimate goal is to have a build w gen dial and hands on the best case available and ETA movemnt for sake of reliability!

Seems like BP or DJF w eta clone and later feet re-location on gen dial is the way...
In case of DJF I can keep green crystal for another build, and in case of BP I can use best seconds hand available on the market directly till I will find someone who can mod gen hands to fit on eta...

nonox Did you get DJF crystal separately? Do you mind to PM me where you gt it from?
Also why did you use ARF case as a base - any specific reason?
And what is the crystal you use on the link to your post mentioned before in a post #3?

Peace ;)

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
1. i don't recommend chopping the feet off a gen Milgauss dial: it's sacrilegious and it will render the expensive gen dial worthless (unless you can source a blemished dial or a dial that has already had its feet cut off)
2. modding gen hands to fit eta will require broaching the gen hands which would render the gen hands worthless as well. You will also likely need to install H4 wheel / pinion if you are using a 2824-2 movement with gen hands
3. not sure which is the best case. BP 116400 with SA3131 cannot take gen hands because of movement height issues. I heard that JF 114600 can take gen hands but you will need to confirm that first

IMO overall, i rather you buy a DJF and wear it out of the box.. unless you can source a JF 116400 and ARF 116400 with SH clone movement. I am totally against chopping the dial feet off a gen milgauss dial (unless the dial is blemished or it has its feet previously removed by the previous seller), but that's just me

Reactions: Anyad

turdor

Horology Curious
13/11/12
> buy a DJF and wear it out of the box..
pompompurin I totally agree w you, but just to remind - I'm looking for a white dial and there is no white dial DJF available, all the other options are screaming low Q ((

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
> buy a DJF and wear it out of the box..
pompompurin I totally agree w you, but just to remind - I'm looking for a white dial and there is no white dial DJF available, all the other options are screaming low Q ((

this hobby is about compromises.

IMO, it's either djf, gen, BP 116400 + gen white dial + service, or choose another model

ETA + gen dial is unnecessary hassle. BP 116400 + serviced SA3131 + aftermarket 25 318 crystal + rep hands (re-lume to superluminova like gen) is ok

Last edited:

whalejonah

6/4/19
Yes I agree that for a white dial 116400 build, BP + gen dial is the way to go. Otherwise, the amount of work required and the cost of the gen parts will add up and you might well be better served going gen instead. To my knowledge milgauss parts are not easy to source.

The compromise would mainly be the rep hands (as OP has pointed out, the lightning seconds hand is inaccurate) but this will in my opinion not be super noticeable as a flaw when the watch is on your wrist unless someone is really looking for it.

turdor

Horology Curious
13/11/12
Few notes on rep 116400 Milgauss cases
(according to TDs and user photos available around and my subjective perception VS my gen DSSD):

RE-DI or Rehault Engraving Displecement Index (lower is better):
0=gen < 1=genlike < 10=DHGate style

BP ss: 13mm; RE-DI: 4
BP (?) (pvd black): ?mm; RE-DI: 2
DJF: 14mm; RE-DI: 2-4
ARF 316L: 14mm; RE-DI: 1
ARF 904L: 14mm; RE-DI: 3-5
EXF: 14mm; RE-DI: 1
NOOB: 14mm; RE-DI: 3
V9 (turbillon): 14mm; RE-DI: 5-6
JF: ?; ?

I will implement some sort of simpme scoring system later to make it less subjective, also if you have different expirience - please just share pics and I will be happy to adjust the RE-DI!

I do not want to start endless arguing - it's all only my subjective vision here!

wow - thats pretty much models (and there is more), and again - zero w fine white dial!
Peace ;)