• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Got Called Out..

mouse

Known Member
12/4/16
Hi Guys,

Recently an acquaintance of mine called me sort of out for wearing a fake rolex, but in a good way.
I have a TT vrf sub. He has a gen rolex himself.
He said it was not color that gave it away, but the reflection of the steel caused by sun. He said it was different then with the gen.
Is it possible and easy to see this, or is it just some bollocks? Not that I mind, but just curious about this

Thanks!

mouse

Known Member
12/4/16
If you don't have an gen crystal it is more likely the crystal gave it away then the steel aka the finish.

He explicitely said it was the steel that gave it way. It had a different shine too it..

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
He explicitely said it was the steel that gave it way. It had a different shine too it..

Bullocks. There is just no way we have had plenty of comparisons between 904 and 316. If any difference, it's in the polish.

Reactions: Pope

xartan

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
30/7/16
Lol. Called out on the shine?

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
That's bolloxs, his watch could have been repolished, either way I think he was fishing to see your reaction

Redjack2k

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/3/19
USA
What a big douche, just trying to impress it seems. That being said, I would have taken the bait!

But the rule is never pass off a rep as a gen, so how would one get out of this? Seems like a "damned if you do and damned if you don't" situation...

Then again I'm so new to this I would feel like everyone is watching me with my rep on ????

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: kennygconspiracy

KSwatches

Trusted Dealer
29/11/18
It was a trap.

Have you seen the bullshit non-existent shine on (even a very carefully) used Rolex? It looks like shit. That show room shine goes after the first polish.

Most my 904L reps look better finished than my used/polished gen rollies. No exaggeration.

I’m sure he would’ve said this is fake: bezel is flat green (no shine). The steel is dull. Zero factory finish left. Nothing shines:
b9aafd8ea780e5ab2831dc1081a51a5b.jpg

Last edited:

Flinnt

Known Member
31/5/19
Downunder
I have no need or want for anyone to believe my watch is gen. Especially given the quality of the reps I have. I’m happy to hand it over and tell them yes, indeed this is a rep and watch them get gobsmacked at how well replicated it is...and some will even convince themselves it is in fact gen and you’re just having a go at them.
The reps I have are amazing fit and finish, look beautiful and keep accurate time. The main positives to gen for me are they can last several lifetimes and thus be passed down to your children, and they can hold value or increase if you’re a savvy buyer and look after them. I don’t have children and don’t plan on selling my watches so these positives aren’t that attractive to me.
I’m happy for people to know instead of buying a beautiful time piece that keeps accurate time, I bought a beautiful time piece that keeps accurate time and a holiday.
It all depends on the reason each person wears reps as to how they should respond. I do like other suggestions I’ve heard here to hand it to them and ask them...puts them on the spot and exposes if they know what they’re talking about or fishing.

Reactions: p0pperini

littowun

Known Member
1/6/19
Not Applicable
TDLR; I agree that it was a trap; I have a collected a few reps now, but still only wear the first one I purchased. Everyone compliments it. My business partner asked to hold it, he started playing 21 questions so I immediately informed him it was a rep. His eyes widened and was extremely impressed, asked me to get him one too--he said no Rolex though, he wants something exotic, lmao. Before I joined this website, I only ever wore my Apple Watch. And now I'm super obnoxious and wear two watches on one wrist so I can accommodate both. Nobody even comments on this seeming absurdity either.

Related Anecdote
I was never into watches. When my father passed away, the only thing he left me was a Rolex. After a long while, I starting wearing it. One day it stopped functioning, so I took it to my nearest Rolex Service Center. Whelp, they told me they could not service the watch (polite speak for: fake). I was a bit taken back--did my father really leave me a fake watch?

So I went to my local AD. AD bluntly told me to just buy a new watch, which I did, and that's the only other gen I have. But I still felt some strange filial piety to sort out my Dad's watch so I did the whole song and dance. AD suggested sending it to the Texas Service Center and told me the service center I went to previously only had two technicians in the back and was designed primarily for regular service only. So we sent it to Texas, I pre-authorized my AD to replace whatever parts needed to be replaced so long as Rolex would just accept the watch.

Thankfully they did. What was hilarious was that they sent back the watch with the bracelet separated. AD said they would not attach the bracelet. I guess the bracelet was fake too! Lmao!!

In hindsight, I would not have done this again. If a fake is what my dad wanted to leave me, I should have just accepted it and appreciated it. Does having a little green warranty card and official serial number in a little cloth green bag restore his honor? lol

I’m sort of confused here. Did you send his fake watch to an authorized service center? Was the watch entirely fake? Was it simply that he had some aftermarket parts that got replaced?
My understanding is RSC rejects fakes and makes them sterile upon receipt. But I’ve never sent one there so what do I know.

I went in person to my nearest Rolex Service Center. You hand over the watch, fill out a form, and either wait ~45 minutes in the lobby eating their complimentary chocolates or go about your business until they give you a call. Most recently, you don't have to wait, they will just email you your options.

I am not a Rolex expert or connoisseur so I cannot opine, sorry. The Rolex Service Center refused to service his watch and essentially said it was not genuine. But the one in Texas was willing to do so. Both are official Rolex Service Centers by Rolex corporate to my understanding.

29872841-10100916548301806-5819086698923616354-o.jpg

30051985-10100916547204006-259746705584733795-o.jpg

Last edited:

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
He was bullshitting you. I've owned plenty of gens and our reps are very very good especially the steel. If it was the gold part or something maybe but the SS steel and brushing very hard to tell

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
TDLR; I agree that it was a trap; I have a collected a few reps now, but still only wear the first one I purchased. Everyone compliments it. My business partner asked to hold it, he started playing 21 questions so I immediately informed him it was a rep. His eyes widened and was extremely impressed, asked me to get him one too--he said no Rolex though, he wants something exotic, lmao. Before I joined this website, I only ever wore my Apple Watch. And now I'm super obnoxious and wear two watches on one wrist so I can accommodate both. Nobody even comments on this seeming absurdity either.

Related Anecdote
I was never into watches. When my father passed away, the only thing he left me was a Rolex. After a long while, I starting wearing it. One day it stopped functioning, so I took it to my nearest Rolex Service Center. Whelp, they told me they could not service the watch (polite speak for: fake). I was a bit taken back--did my father really leave me a fake watch?

So I went to my local AD. AD bluntly told me to just buy a new watch, which I did, and that's the only other gen I have. But I still felt some strange filial piety to sort out my Dad's watch so I did the whole song and dance. AD suggested sending it to the Texas Service Center and told me the service center I went to previously only had two technicians in the back and was designed primarily for regular service only. So we sent it to Texas, I pre-authorized my AD to replace whatever parts needed to be replaced so long as Rolex would just accept the watch.

Thankfully they did. What was hilarious was that they sent back the watch with the bracelet separated. AD said they would not attach the bracelet. I guess the bracelet was fake too! Lmao!!

In hindsight, I would not have done this again. If a fake is what my dad wanted to leave me, I should have just accepted it and appreciated it. Does having a little green warranty card and official serial number in a little cloth green bag restore his honor? lol

I’m sort of confused here. Did you send his fake watch to an authorized service center? Was the watch entirely fake? Was it simply that he had some aftermarket parts that got replaced?
My understanding is RSC rejects fakes and makes them sterile upon receipt. But I’ve never sent one there so what do I know.

DJ Woody

Known Member
5/8/18
London

Related Anecdote

I went in person to my nearest Rolex Service Center. You hand over the watch, fill out a form, and either wait ~45 minutes in the lobby eating their complimentary chocolates or go about your business until they give you a call. Most recently, you don't have to wait, they will just email you your options.

I am not a Rolex expert or connoisseur so I cannot opine, sorry. The Rolex Service Center refused to service his watch and essentially said it was not genuine. But the one in Texas was willing to do so. Both are official Rolex Service Centers by Rolex corporate to my understanding.

29872841-10100916548301806-5819086698923616354-o.jpg

30051985-10100916547204006-259746705584733795-o.jpg

An interesting anecdote! Im surprised that one did it and the other didnt. Hmm, if we had a proper serial number on the rehaut and the movement of our Noobs would they service that too? (balance bridge and hairspring would need to be gen)! Hahaha! :)

have you opened up your fathers watch to see what was inside? Either way, whatever the value, he left it to you so cherish it!

Last edited: