• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF 114300 Oyster Perpetual Review

Tacotuesday

1/6/18
Bored at work so here we go.

First off I got this watch because I wanted something simple and cost effective to turn into a "super rep". I like the sub and datejust, but with the extra cost of the gen datewheel and crystal, plus the constant reports of those two having issues, I figured the 39mm OP a good bet. (also helps that I purchased the djf datejust and its just a tad too small for my 7 inch wrist. At least for an every day piece.

THE GOOD:

Overall this is a beautiful watch. It's boring in the sens that there are no complications but I think that's a good thing. I have so many watches where I have to worry about setting the date and where the hands are in position when I do the date flip. Not too big of a hassle but its still nice to not have to worry about it. The dial looks like a glossy black in most lighting conditions, but has a beautiful sunburst when in direct light. The case shape perfectly hugs my wrist and the watch itself is thick enough to have decent presence while not being too thick. The proportions are just perfect. One of my problems with the datejust 36 is that its 12mm thick. A bit chunky on a 36mm watch but perfect on a 39. Overall the watch is beautifully finished and from what I've seen of the gen models its damn near spot on. Bracelet was initially kind of squeaky but after a 24 hour oil bath its perfect.

One of the big issues I was worried about with this watch was the movement. This is my first clone movement and I am prepared to get it serviced ASAP, but for now I have no complaints. Watch is running perfectly, just 15 seconds fast per day. I have ordered 2 gen reversing wheels that I will have put in once serviced, likely in a couple months.

Overall I love this watch. I did not like it when I first opened it up, but after 1 day of wear I can honestly say this is my favorite piece.

THE BAD:

As with these reps there is always a downside. First off lets start with THE CLASP. I HATE THIS CLASP. Sure it looks great, but the damn thing makes clicking noises any time it touches something. On top of this I'm pretty sure the bracelet link was not welded on properly giving it a large gap at the top of the bracelet. I can not stand this gap. My solution: I have ordered a rep submariner clasp off Ebay. Not something I'd recommend, but the clasp looked decent, and the engraving was on par with ARF. The seller is in china, so here's hoping it's either an ARF or a Noob clasp. Will report more on this when it gets here. Lastly when the clasp closes it always hits the bracelet as it is not seated in the center. It closes properly, but only when pusing it to one side in order to align it.

The other downside to this watch are the hands. In most light they look decent, but in direct light you can clearly see the metal working marks on the side of the hands. These jaggy cuts catch the light and irritate the hell out of me. My solution to this is a new set of hands. My TD is helping me aqcuire a new set of hands at a fee of course ($63 shipped). Not ideal but since I'm having this thing serviced I might as well get this problem fixed now.

Last problem is the dial alignment. The dial came seated too far to the top and is touching the top indices. This is not a huge problem and one that should easily be fixed when the watch is serviced.

7nqWd.jpg

7nL7Z.jpg

7ntRR.jpg

7n4mg.jpg

7nroa.jpg

7nBpy.jpg

70V7G.jpg

706Rq.jpg

70zw0.jpg

70Kr6.jpg

70I7r.jpg

70ypF.jpg

70cro.jpg

70CnI.jpg

700wL.jpg

70kzK.jpg

Overall cost once I'm done:

Watch - $500
Hands - $63
Reversing wheels - $150
Clasp - $50
Service / shipping - $200 ish
Total - $963

CosmoKat

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
9/1/19
United Kingdom
The watch looks really good on the wrist but not so much alone (which doesn't matter too much cause you're supposed to wear it). I also really like the black face with white hour markings. All the best bro.

Tacotuesday

1/6/18
The watch looks really good on the wrist but not so much alone (which doesn't matter too much cause you're supposed to wear it). I also really like the black face with white hour markings. All the best bro.

Lol, that's probably because my smart phone isn't too great at close ups. Catches every little spec of dust and finger print, all while maintaining the worst contrast possible. In person it looks great.

CosmoKat

INMATE
9/1/19
United Kingdom
Lol, that's probably because my smart phone isn't too great at close ups. Catches every little spec of dust and finger print, all while maintaining the worst contrast possible. In person it looks great.

That makes sense. Overall I really like the look of it. I believe it will sell quicker than you expect.

Tacotuesday

1/6/18
That makes sense. Overall I really like the look of it. I believe it will sell quicker than you expect.

Oh I'm not trying to sell it. Just giving people out there who are interested in the piece something to look at.

CosmoKat

INMATE
9/1/19
United Kingdom
Oh right, my bad pal. Thanks for sharing this piece with us.

Dayjustfate

Horology Curious
21/11/17
Thats a gorgeous choice for the 114300 with the black dial. It is my first rep on the list. Thanks for posting. Can you maybe make a video of the watch? I am curious how it shines in differemt light conditions.

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
Looks great.

I believe the rep dial is a little more shiny than Gen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tacotuesday

1/6/18
Looks great.

I believe the rep dial is a little more shiny than Gen

I'm not sure about that. I've looked all over the internet for pictures and videos and they appear to be the same. The rep dial is only shiny in direct sunlight.

Tacotuesday

1/6/18
I'll see if I can post something tonight in normal light and in direct light

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
I'm not sure about that. I've looked all over the internet for pictures and videos and they appear to be the same. The rep dial is only shiny in direct sunlight.

There’s a video somewhere of someone with the rep dial and Gen and they make the comment that rep dial is more shiny I believe.

Tacotuesday

1/6/18
If there is I havent seen it. If you happen to stumble upon it again could you please link it. Just want to see the difference.

DateLex86

Looking Around
MULTI ACCOUNT
3/2/19
Im curious if the BP clasp still makes that clicking noise. If not, could you please post the link where you bought it? Is the material, colour etc same as the jf/arf? Thx

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

MB62

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/3/18
I got this watch in grey..

Is the clasp also a scratch magnet for you?

typetty44

Horology Curious
16/4/18
That's a shame to hear that the clicking issue wasnt resolved :( I just put in an order for a BP clasp