• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Datejust 36 - DJF vs ARF?

Tacotuesday

1/6/18
Nah DJF.. I dunno, Tswatch lists the latest silver as V3, KS watches here in the forum lists as V2. I don't even think the dealers properly know what versions of DJF are out there lol.

I'm still hesitant to pull the trigger due to the factories QC. Look at this one:
https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...-silver-dial-on-904l-ss-oyster-bracelet-a2824

Dial is misaligned and is even bubbling up top as if it has been force-pressed against the rehaut. The rest looks good but it's just this kind of stuff.. The bent pin in the bracelet from this threads guy. God.. I dunno.

I actually cant see the 2 issues you noted here. Not that they're not there. I guess I just dont have an eye for it.

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
I actually cant see the 2 issues you noted here. Not that they're not there. I guess I just dont have an eye for it.

Have a look here. Circle marks bubbles on dial (probably from getting the dial-edge rubbed against the rehaut during fitting.

https://imgur.com/a/vAXrSa1

Arrows indicate spacing difference between left and right side (dial alignment)

These issues aren't present on your QC, so it just shows you have to be extra careful when ordering these as the factory QC isn't so good (based on small sample).

Tacotuesday

1/6/18
Have a look here. Circle marks bubbles on dial (probably from getting the dial-edge rubbed against the rehaut during fitting.

https://imgur.com/a/vAXrSa1

Arrows indicate spacing difference between left and right side (dial alignment)

These issues aren't present on your QC, so it just shows you have to be extra careful when ordering these as the factory QC isn't so good (based on small sample).

Damn. I would never have noticed that. I pay so much attention to the indices that I never thought to look at the outer edges. I'll have to keep this in mind when looking at future reps. Thank you.

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
Damn. I would never have noticed that. I pay so much attention to the indices that I never thought to look at the outer edges. I'll have to keep this in mind when looking at future reps. Thank you.

You shouldn't always reject on the misalignment.. everything within reason.. I know ARF have the issue on almost all their models, so not a valid reason to reject an ARF. But for these DJF's I've seen many that are much better centered.. Of course the bubbles on dial is completely valid to reject. I also would never reject on slightly misaligned markers unless it really catches your eye.. These are $80 reps after all..

Reactions: tzon_a

Tacotuesday

1/6/18
You shouldn't always reject on the misalignment.. everything within reason.. I know ARF have the issue on almost all their models, so not a valid reason to reject an ARF. But for these DJF's I've seen many that are much better centered.. Of course the bubbles on dial is completely valid to reject. I also would never reject on slightly misaligned markers unless it really catches your eye.. These are $80 reps after all..

Do you really think the cost of these reps is sub $100. I guess I figured the margins were much smaller on these things. Just goes to show how much most watch brands over charge for some of these things.

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
Do you really think the cost of these reps is sub $100. I guess I figured the margins were much smaller on these things. Just goes to show how much most watch brands over charge for some of these things.

I think it's right around that number, if not even less. (Directly from the factories and depending on quantity of course).

When a TD offers a free replacement if the package gets lost, then that should say enough about margins. Also, these are produced in huge numbers. I remember JF had ordered 20,000 cases or more when they made their 5digit sub.

I honestly think a gen submariner has a production cost of less than $300 and that's only because of the white gold markers and higher swiss salaries. I know people say a gen sub is $500, but I think it's much lower than that. Just look at how close these ARF/Noob subs are and we can buy those at ~$400 with big markups. A little extra care into QC and machining/polishing can't be too much more.

I don't mind, with this hobby (jewelry in general) markups are just insane. Just look at DW watches. Sold at $180-ish and probably cost no more than $2 for the watch itself and then a few extra dollars for the strap that's a 3600% markup lmao. Probably the highest markup of any watchbrand.

the massakretor

23/8/13
However guys TS Station list them as V3 and others V2 but they're the same (uploaded on the same day-ish on all TDs website).

If you want a follow up, my TD still hasn't got a replacement bracelet but it's going to get it. So that situation looks like it's gonna get fixed.

And meanwhile I tried something to make the bracelet feel better, since as I said it was squeakish and clanking. I lubed it and it feels MUCH good. It's a very good bracelet after a lube (I used silicon spray, spent like 5€, let it rest for a 30m and washed gently). It feels solid and smooth now, so probably my first impressions were underwhelming both for the bent pin and the general stiffness.
I am gonna lube carefully the new one as soon as it arrives.

I also took it for a shower and looks waterproofed, no signs of water of any sort. The crown screws in very solidly so that's why I took it for the ride.

Inviato dal mio LM-G710 utilizzando Tapatalk

Tacotuesday

1/6/18
I think it's right around that number, if not even less. (Directly from the factories and depending on quantity of course).

When a TD offers a free replacement if the package gets lost, then that should say enough about margins. Also, these are produced in huge numbers. I remember JF had ordered 20,000 cases or more when they made their 5digit sub.

I honestly think a gen submariner has a production cost of less than $300 and that's only because of the white gold markers and higher swiss salaries. I know people say a gen sub is $500, but I think it's much lower than that. Just look at how close these ARF/Noob subs are and we can buy those at ~$400 with big markups. A little extra care into QC and machining/polishing can't be too much more.

I don't mind, with this hobby (jewelry in general) markups are just insane. Just look at DW watches. Sold at $180-ish and probably cost no more than $2 for the watch itself and then a few extra dollars for the strap that's a 3600% markup lmao. Probably the highest markup of any watchbrand.

Good point I forgot about DW and MVMT. Funny enough MVMT marketing to non watch owners is what got me looking into watches. Luckily I always research anything intensely before making a purchase so I ended up going with a Seiko 5 because I couldn't understand paying more than $100 for a watch.

2 years later I'm spending thousands. DAMN YOU MVMT!

Tacotuesday

1/6/18
However guys TS Station list them as V3 and others V2 but they're the same (uploaded on the same day-ish on all TDs website).

If you want a follow up, my TD still hasn't got a replacement bracelet but it's going to get it. So that situation looks like it's gonna get fixed.

And meanwhile I tried something to make the bracelet feel better, since as I said it was squeakish and clanking. I lubed it and it feels MUCH good. It's a very good bracelet after a lube (I used silicon spray, spent like 5€, let it rest for a 30m and washed gently). It feels solid and smooth now, so probably my first impressions were underwhelming both for the bent pin and the general stiffness.
I am gonna lube carefully the new one as soon as it arrives.

I also took it for a shower and looks waterproofed, no signs of water of any sort. The crown screws in very solidly so that's why I took it for the ride.

Lubing up the bracelet makes a world of difference. I thought it was sill until I let my sub and BB bracelets sit in baby oil for 24 hours. Made them feel like quality bracelets rather than toys.

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
Lubing up the bracelet makes a world of difference. I thought it was sill until I let my sub and BB bracelets sit in baby oil for 24 hours. Made them feel like quality bracelets rather than toys.

Lol, I never got the whole lube thing but I guess I'm going to try it out next time. Just good ol' regular baby oil?? Will probably just tell the cashier it's for analsex, seems less weird than 'im going to bathe my watch in it for the next 24 hours"

Luxuracer

Renowned Member
Lol, I never got the whole lube thing but I guess I'm going to try it out next time. Just good ol' regular baby oil?? Will probably just tell the cashier it's for analsex, seems less weird than 'im going to bathe my watch in it for the next 24 hours"

For best result, clean the bracelet really well, preferably using a ultrasonic cleaner. Oil-bath a dirty bracelet won't help that much.
A simple oil-bath will do wonder to a rep bracelet.

the massakretor

23/8/13
Yep I cleaned the watch very carefully with water soap and gentle hot water. After that i let it dry well. Didn't use baby oil (didn't want to have it sticky or oily or something like that), I bought a silicone spray lubricant, sprayed over the bracelet, let it stick for 30m, then washed again under the water with soap. It's really another feeling

Reactions: adriankupferzundel

Tacotuesday

1/6/18

The miracle of self check out. No more judging eyes.

It deffinetly makes a difference. The first one I did was the ZF Black bay. I thought the bracelet looked good but felt like crap so I tried soaking it overnight. Made a huge difference and after the bracelet felt great.

Learn from my mistake though. After I did the ZF I did my ARF sub because I thought that bracelet felt cheap too. It feels great after the soak but I folded the bracelet in the baggie full of oil, rather than using a bigger bag. The result was a complete removal of a part of the clasp that was touching another end of the bracelet. Fixed it up with cape cod but still better to avoid next time.

Tacotuesday

1/6/18
Oh and I did clean it pretty well with hot water and soap first, let that soak for an hour.

Baby oil doesnt leave it oily. Just let it soak on a cloth for an hour and wash it off. Might have a tiny bit seep out over a couple days but its good for your skin so whatever. End result is a similar feeling to the gens I have.

Reactions: adriankupferzundel

Luxuracer

Renowned Member
Yep I cleaned the watch very carefully with water soap and gentle hot water. After that i let it dry well. Didn't use baby oil (didn't want to have it sticky or oily or something like that), I bought a silicone spray lubricant, sprayed over the bracelet, let it stick for 30m, then washed again under the water with soap. It's really another feeling

Baby oil is a cheap and quick method since most of us have a bottle laying around.
But I agree with you, silicone lubricant works better than baby oil. If you do not already have baby oil then buy a bottle of silicone lubricant.

the massakretor

23/8/13
Baby oil is a cheap and quick method since most of us have a bottle laying around.
But I agree with you, silicone lubricant works better than baby oil. If you do not already have baby oil then buy a bottle of silicone lubricant.
I only had an expensive Durex sex lubricant lol

So yeah I don't use baby oil, and silicone lubricant was 5 bucks just near my home at an hardware store. Baby Oil was like 3 so basically the same

Tacotuesday

1/6/18

Is it significantly better? If its a noticeable difference I might pick some up.

ssouthall6

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/10/13
Problem is (with coinbase at least), when you buy bitcoin via wire transfer, the transfer itself takes a couple days and then you cant actually send the bitcoin off to another wallet for 14-21 days. So if you bought bitcoin and the value declines you're stuck with the losses.

I was only able to buy the watch using bitcoin because I had originally bought the btc to pay for the ZF Black Bay GMT a couple weeks ago. I ended up paying the fees then not being able to use the funds or even transfer them back into my bank account for 2 weeks. So I ended up paying the fees again to transfer the btc back to cash, but still on coinbase because I could not withdraw.

Then when it came down to buying the watch I had to pay the fees again (3rd time) to transfer my USD to BTC on coinbase and even then I still had to wait a day for the original 14 to clear.

Luckily both times I bought BTC it had a little bump up making up for my last $$$ in fees, but overall it's been going down and I just got lucky.

Really? 14-21 days??? That's insane! Wire transfer to coinbase takes between 20 minutes and 8 hours for me depending on time of day, the rest takes no more than an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: the massakretor

Tacotuesday

1/6/18
Really? 14-21 days??? That's insane! Wire transfer to coinbase takes between 20 minutes and 8 hours for me depending on time of day, the rest takes no more than an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coinbase won't let me transfer the money for 14-21 days. My account is fully verified. It's not a matter of the actual transfer, that's how long it takes for them to let you use money that that has been transferred in from your bank. So they get your money fast and sit on it for a few weeks.