• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Daytona 116520 noob sa4130 v2 vs gen

fraswa

7/5/17
Hello, took some pictures today. Sorry for the dirt and fingerprints, i realized today that i should clean them every once in a while :) White is noob v2. Black is 2015/2016 gen .

n769b.jpg

At a glance, dial print is off on the noob. Notably OYSTER PERPETUAL and dull DAYTONA lettering. Hands are flat. Bezel font is thinnier but close. Subdials are very close. Markers looks the same to me.
SEL protrudes from case. Crystal looks the same.

Closeup of dial

nheXo.jpg

nh0JI.jpg

SIDE SHOT

GEN
nhIx0.jpg

NOOB

nhvX6.jpg

Gen bezel is more flat. My ARF 116520 is closer than the noob. Not noticeable on the wrist.

Bezel, crystal, sel
GEN
nhzIq.jpg

NOOB

nhKiG.jpg

SEL is recessed and with no gaps on gen watch. Noob is bad. pushers looks the same to me. Crystal is really close. Bezel is definetely more angled on the noob. Bezel numbers are really not noticeable.

another side shot

nh6Zy.jpg

nhVsa.jpg

BACK
GEN
nYAOg.jpg

NOOB

nYrIR.jpg

Noob caseback is totally wrong. Grooves are way too small. SEL middle link curve is wrong. Gen sel don't sits flush to the back of the case, with no gaps.

SIDE shot

GEN
nY4iZ.jpg

NOOB

nYtVd.jpg

Looks somewhat different. My ARF is closer. Crystal height is the same.

Conclusion:

I do like the V2 daytona, all the flaws are practically invisible on the wrist, the movement is really good, v2 dial is 80% good to me, it could pass for one of the many dial variations, please note gen is 1 tick noob is 2 tick. SEL is a disaster, My arf is way better. Bezel could be better, i'm sure they will fix it soon, as the small dial flaws.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks for the comparisons, always nice to see a rep next to a gen.

Kwigyboo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/2/18
USA
Thanks! I always felt like the side profile of the Noob case was off but never had a nice side by side comparison to confirm.

vcappp

I'm Pretty Popular
20/6/18
thanks for great concise review

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

domsdaddy123

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
6/8/15
The noob case looks awesome for 1/25th of the price...

thank god the crown, Cg pushers and pusher angle all look really good..the bezel, xtal snd dial also look good, not perfect but very good. Its an absolute f'ing shame that the manufacturing tolerances on the SEL fit is so loose. The SEL on gen daytona is so critical to toe overall look and Noob is very poor..

One solution is to go with a aftermarket SEL gap filler and wear it on a strap...but its a shame they didnt get the bracelet SEL better..ARF clearly proved that it can be done but the crown position is way off due to 7750, as well as pusher angle. Its a tought tradeoff decision and unfortunately I dont see Noob reworking their part suppliers to get a better SEL fit, at least no time soon...

Great review and its great having the pics side by side

Big TY!

Reactions: vcappp

Dr. Mike

Renowned Member
7/9/15
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the guys who bitch about the flaws for $700. Yes $700 is somebody's car payment it or house payment. But the gen is $14,000 used, $21,000 new
Does it have flaws? Yep. Some of them bug me. The dial is my biggest peeve. The subdials lack the pop of the gen. But what makes this watch worth every penny is the magical 4130 that they reverse engineered. That alone is worth the price of the watch.
Yet people proudly wear their noob 116610 with the 2836 that has obvious crown guard flaws, the crowns are too low, the LV model has that green dial that comes nowhere near the pop of brilliance of the gen and the movement turns backward to adjust time. Yet they complain about what is likely the most difficult Rolex to replicate.
This is a perfect platform for a grail franken build. Gen dial, bezel, hands, crystal, gasket, movement service, crown, plungers and adequate waterproofing. It won't be cheap, but it'd be stunning.
So, yes, it has flaws, but they're so subtle that no one will ever see them to call you out. I mix my gens and reps willy nilly randomly, and my Seiko 55 fathoms and SKX get the most wrist time.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yellobird

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/15
Great review! Thanks for posting it!

it is a shame that they still did not manage to fix the SELs and I wonder why they messed up the side profile when the movement is a clone of gen 4130 so there should be no need for any additional tolerances added to the case. In fact my a2824 based noob franken has a better side profile and caseback in it.

Well I guess patience is the key on this hobby, for now I will still enjoy my non working chrono piece with gen parts on it (bezel, dial, crystal) and will buy a V4, V5 or V8 a4130 noob when they correct some other flaws and then transplant gen goodies over from my a2824 to make it a perfect franken.

Yellobird

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/15
One more thing to note is that they used ceramic 116500 spacing of the 5 line text on the dial (narrower) which is wrong for 116520.

Reactions: Fab87pz and vcappp

Yellobird

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/15
fraswa Since you mention you have an ARF as well - did you try to put the ARF bracelet with better SELs on a Noob?

markfisher

25/9/18
Italy
Could you take closer pics of the profile with the same camera angle? Thank you.

Last edited:

lcsrep11

19/8/17
Sel makes me laugh the sels on a gen after a few years use have tiny gaps just like noob. That gen from the back seems like its been squashed to make it tighter. Mine sits flush with the back of the case not indented.

Reactions: stufuse

kebu

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/7/16
Thank you for the great review!

Looks like the 120 alignment is not really fixed? What about the thickness?

SEL should be an easy fix? A little let down but overall still good esp with working chrono.

fraswa

7/5/17
fraswa Since you mention you have an ARF as well - did you try to put the ARF bracelet with better SELs on a Noob?

Arf and gen sels are interchangeable they looks almost the same

Arf and gen sels on noob case leave gaps on the sides so i think the noob case is not gen spec regarding the lugs width

Sent from the RWI App

fraswa

7/5/17
Thank you for the great review!

Looks like the 120 alignment is not really fixed? What about the thickness?

SEL should be an easy fix? A little let down but overall still good esp with working chrono.

120 marker is aligned, thickness is the same.
SEL can't be fixed, I think is a different shape regarding the gen. I will try some other bracelets (bp gmt, noob ym, bp daytona...) to see if I can find something that looks better. I already tried ARF sel on it but it leaves gaps.

fraswa

7/5/17
Sel makes me laugh the sels on a gen after a few years use have tiny gaps just like noob. That gen from the back seems like its been squashed to make it tighter. Mine sits flush with the back of the case not indented.

You are right, the gen looks like the sels were "forced" in and not flush. I looked at some gen pics on chrono24 and some are flush, some are not like mine. BAD QC? :D