• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Daytona ARF, Noob V1 and Noob v2 2018 Dial and Bezel Analysis

ssouthall6

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/10/13
I got asked by a few people to create this as a separate thread so it can be a sticky, so here it is. I'm a nitpicker, it's in my nature. If people don't like it, I don't really care. I'm not showing this to justify my own purchase, I'm not an ARF fanboy, I'm not a noob fanboy, just a daytona fan that wants the perfect watch and has been priced out of the gen dial and bezel market because of this new noob movement!

Let me start by saying, I like both watches. They are both excellent interpretations of the gen. The noob and the ARF are excellent watches in their own right and we know that Noob is a working chrono, ARF is just a moving chrono seconds hand, but neither are IMO good enough to class as super reps.

The noob movement is a work of art. The pushers are not perfect but very good, the case is not perfect but decent, the sels are good enough with good QC but the dial and bezel on the 116500 fall short of the quality required for a super rep and the bezel and especially the dial on the noob 116520 are miles off. The ARF movement doesn't work like the gen, is noisy, has lots of reports of low power reserve and the consensus seems to be the rotor is not right for the watch. The case construction for the noob is perfect, the ARF requires lots of modification. The noob case is 316L, the ARF is 904L.

The bracelet splits opinion, as does the clasp. It appears the noob v2 has improved over v1.

Franken of a 116520 is plausible but 116500 is cost prohibitive. So ideal situation is fix these small issues and everyone wins.

So, ceramic first. I'm going to just judge the white dial models.

G=Gen
N=NOOB
A=ARF

d0473ccf4f20dd0fd57219a5e6dfb611.jpg

Let's start with the front dial on. First observations are the lettering of ROLEX on the noob. Look at the O. Look at the tail on the R. ARF is a touch too bold but this isn't as noticeable as the poor spacing on the noob.

Also visible is the poor insert. The engravings are too shallow and too thin on the noob. A touch too deep on the ARF but still closer to gen.

Daytona on both ARF and Noob is too dark.

Pinion on gen is capped, fail for ARF and Noob.

e80e4eb3a272bd7caff821b257932c17.jpg

Subdials. Ever so slightly too wide on the noob, ever so slightly better finished on the ARF.

375fd11315aed33722e2038bd7e9bf3b.jpg

Indices. Nicely polished on the gen. Ok on the ARF. Too thick and bland on the noob.

3c06c47a6f75f6fb7746c701029b8b39.jpg

Insert. Noob has definitely improved this from v1. V1 triangle was miles too small. Now the font is still too skinny but the lines are better, they are too fat on the ARF. But the triangle is still too far away from the numbers.

e66a7d8293280e340217446a4af21190.jpg

Lugs. Better on the noob. Not sure what ARF were doing here. Too skinny and completely the wrong shape. Amusingly Noob have added the little indentation that they failed to put in the v9 116610, even though it doesn't exist on the daytona.

So yes, I'm pretty finicky as you can tell, but that dial and insert aren't quite good enough for me. I've seen a noob v2 ceramic go up today with slightly better subdial printing but again, not quite good enough to tempt me

eb94fd52382b08c1c08674ccdb12c4a8.jpg

This picture doesn't show it so well, but from what I can see:

Marginally better spacing of ROLEX on v2
Printing on the subdials is better (v1, grooves look like they've been applied post printing of numbers, v2 looks clearer)

Still a non-starter with that bezel insert sadly

Now for the 116520

This is the watch that is IMO nowhere near super rep due to the dial and the bezel.

On the dial on the 116500, whilst it doesn't look great, it's not far off. This one is frankly crap.

I read early someone questioning my knowledge etc and saying the nuances could be explained away with dial variations through the years, so I've taken images from a 12, 8, 6 and 4 year old 116520 to prove the point.

5e1a833a0255fe5b238cef90d22466c7.jpg

Let's start with the lettering, the branding, the thing everyone sees first.

As you can see some variations over the years. ARF could easily fit into one of these categories. Noob is quite clearly using the font from the ceramic dial. Total fantasy.

6119f42fb54194dc222f931ea95b6a92.jpg

Next bezel. ARF is a touch long in the numerals but close enough. Noob - oh dear. Everything far too skinny. Very obvious from quite a distance.

7b7261386b6b657c88bc6d79a7a0ac5d.jpg

Subdials. Well credit where credit is due, at least all of the noob ones work [emoji3] but what is that strange inner circle?!

Noob doesn't look too far away from the 6 year old Daytona but the numbers are top angled. Look at the 60.

ARF don't win any awards here either. Look at the numbers, too bold, although straighter. The lines reach to the end of the subdial, which is wrong. Noob doesn't, which is correct.

DAYTONA lettering. Completely wrong on ARF and Noob. They've used the font from the ceramic dial again.

I couldn't be bothered to even look at the rehaut, lugs, sel etc on this one, I will at some point add this to the thread.

Again - I'm not knocking either watch, they are what they are, but if you want the watch to look as nice as possible, these are the bits that need fixing.

I'm not sure which TD's are close to Noob or ARF any more, or even if they care, but hopefully if any are reading they can pass this feedback on.

CarlosFFF

25/6/13
Thanks for this analysis. I imagine Angus at Puretime might be able to do something with this in regards to passing it along to the manufacturers, I think he usually has a close relationship.

I am usually a stickler for this sort of detail as well but I find myself forgiving the Noob 116500 dial a little bit. I just ordered mine because I really do think that on the wrist most of these details will be easily missed, but if someone is intimately familiar with the 116500 then yeah they could probably figure out it's a rep.

fabbe79

I'm Pretty Popular
18/10/15
Thank you! What do you think about the new arf just announced?

preppyr6

I'm Pretty Popular
29/10/15
Awesome review! I was leaning noob until I read this. May just stick to my SD43 for now.

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
I do not see the difference of the printing on the dial when I look at my watch. What I can see is the difference of the bezel and I agree, the noob bezel needs improvement. Easy mod to get a gen dial for the noob. But I cannot wear a watch with chronos which do not work. That is like driving a 911 with a beatle engine. Regarding the bezel, I wish I could find a good aftermarket SS bezel.

Sent from iX

ssouthall6

10/10/13
I do not see the difference of the printing on the dial when I look at my watch. What I can see is the difference of the bezel and I agree, the noob bezel needs improvement. Easy mod to get a gen dial for the noob. But I cannot wear a watch with chronos which do not work. That is like driving a 911 with a beatle engine. Regarding the bezel, I wish I could find a good aftermarket SS bezel.

Sent from iX

I agree about the ARF. But if they keep improving it maybe we will get a good enough donor for the bezel and dial.

The noob ceramic dial is ok.

The noob steel dial is based on the ceramic but just changed the Subdials colours. ARF have done basically the same.

This is usually fine but in the last few months the prices and availability of gen daytona parts have hit a level that is pricing many of us out of the game.

Both watches are fine from afar but for those of us used to frankening the life out of everything it's frustrating and expensive when we aren't really that far from a decent product out of the box.

There are pages and pages of dispute over the most minor issues on the submariner that are nothing compared to the flaws in the noob and ARF daytonas IMO. We've come a long way, but why not push for the home straight?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MrBeasy and KJ2020

DJ Woody

Known Member
5/8/18
London
I have bought the Noob knowing of its pitfalls that this analysis suggests, but im guessing we will start to see versions in the future with the updated dial, bezel which will bring it on par with the ARF version.

Reactions: ssouthall6

vcappp

I'm Pretty Popular
20/6/18
thanks for the great review and comparison.

patnaboy

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/3/12
Thanks for sharing your detailed analysis. Your attention to detail is amazing!

Reactions: ssouthall6

MrBeasy

8/2/16
Hey OP - thanks for this.

Do you happen to know if there was any upgrade difference in the ceramic bezel between the ARF v1 and ARF v2 please? I have the ARF v1 and am wondering if I should upgrade to v2 ceramic bezel in future.

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
If these look like QC pics, they are. But since I expect to receive item at my door tomorrow, I will post them here, for scholarly discussions. It is the latest Noob white dial. I wanted the Panda but it was not available at the time of order. From these pics, to my untrained eye, it looks like the fonts on the bezel are a little thicker than the pics which OP posted. There still exists an inner "halo" on subdial at 6, will post more pics upon personal inspection. Any sel fitment issues dont matter as I plan to use leather straps.

Trying to upload images - but I get "invalid file". Perhaps, will become valid after some time. I have left the links below, with full privacy turned on. Appreciate tripdog's removal of links in an earlier post as personal info might have been contained therein.

https://www.picr.me/image/COOe2

https://www.picr.me/image/COtBd

ssouthall6

10/10/13
If these look like QC pics, they are. But since I expect to receive item at my door tomorrow, I will post them here, for scholarly discussions. It is the latest Noob white dial. I wanted the Panda but it was not available at the time of order. From these pics, to my untrained eye, it looks like the fonts on the bezel are a little thicker than the pics which OP posted. There still exists an inner "halo" on subdial at 6, will post more pics upon personal inspection. Any sel fitment issues dont matter as I plan to use leather straps.

Trying to upload images - but I get "invalid file". Perhaps, will become valid after some time. I have left the links below, with full privacy turned on. Appreciate tripdog's removal of links in an earlier post as personal info might have been contained therein.

https://www.picr.me/image/COOe2

https://www.picr.me/image/COtBd

That's an improved bezel. Looks like the 6 and 8 year old one.

Just the dial to go now noob, come on!!

Reactions: KJ2020 and Opirata