• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob Daytona vs ARF Daytona

scorpioneinter

Known Member
9/12/18
Looks like ARF has changed the bezel on the latest batch.
We know that the v1 bezel was very good, V2 bezel was ok and better then noob. I ordered a couple off the latest ARF SS bezels and it looks to be, that they are improved compared to V2 and maybe back to V1. Take a look, my 116520 with franken with ARF V2 bezel, QC of the latest batch bezels

56b48924b00b372803f756ee1fac7517.jpg

e9e4b969bd643f33cd1f1901e9a414cf.jpg

b9b74f784f5794a7e598b701bab2e127.jpg

Sent from my iPad with Tapatalk
Can you tell me from which TD can I find an Arf ring for Daytona 116500?

ssouthall6

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/10/13
It actually looks better than v1. Angle seems ever so slightly less obtuse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scorpioneinter

Known Member
9/12/18
guru ssouthall6
Friends, do you currently confirm that the best mix, even for Daytona white 116500, is ​​Noob casing and movement with dial, bezel and Arf bracelet? In your opinion, in percentual terms, how much do we approach to the gen?

markfisher

25/9/18
Italy
How can you measure a percentage?
You need to give a weight to each component and judge each component in terms of how much is similar to the genuine counterpart... A really subjective evaluation imho.

Someone could say that the dial is the most important piece, some other could prefer the movement or the bezel or the case...

scorpioneinter

Known Member
9/12/18
How can you measure a percentage?
You need to give a weight to each component and judge each component in terms of how much is similar to the genuine counterpart... A really subjective evaluation imho.

Someone could say that the dial is the most important piece, some other could prefer the movement or the bezel or the case...

On this I agree, it was an indicative request. From Daytona experts, can you say that you achieve a very high level of replication in this way? Let us remember that it is about spending 1,300 / 1,400 euros without having gen parts.

markfisher

25/9/18
Italy
In my opinion you need gen parts to get to a satisfying level of accuracy but this mean that you need to spend 2500/3500€ or more. On my superfranken daytona I have spent so far about 3000€.

ssouthall6

10/10/13
On this I agree, it was an indicative request. From Daytona experts, can you say that you achieve a very high level of replication in this way? Let us remember that it is about spending 1,300 / 1,400 euros without having gen parts.

The notion of frankening a rep with more rep parts seems absurd but the results are good.

The ARF bezel is great.

The ARF dial is very good.

The noob movement is incredible.

I think you're around 80% there with those mods.

To get to 90% you would need:

Gen hands
Gen crystal
Case refinish, especially the lugs
ARF bracelet

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
Agree totally to ssouthall6
But have to say, when you are using for the 116500 build the follwing: Noob basewatch with real 4130 clone (working chrono) movement and mod it with these parts from ARF: dial 116500, ceramic bezel, bracelet + clasp you have a very nice good looking watch for approx. USD 1100,- (with labor and modding works)
When you reshape the case to get a much more GEN profile and look - you are nearly perfect.
With these moddings you only can tell by a 1:1 comparsion with a Gen the difference but not on the wrist (my personnell opinion)
I would say with this you are close to 90%

But I agree with also ssouthall6 - when you are using the listed GEN parts + ARF bracelet you are very very close to GEN and I would say = perfect :)

lukko

Supporter
Certified
20/11/12
Italy
hey lukko pay attention because the BP dial has a bigger center hole, and it's not ideal when mounted on the 4130, the looks will be a bit off

I know this mate, BP it’s 2.0 (or 2.2 on some others without reason like previous than this one in picture that i had bought), and ar it’s 1.7mm

BP it’s miles better than arf unfortunally as layout and subdials dimension and color (arf has subdials rings too shiny and bigger than BP). BP dial it’s more gen like, but unfortunally it has a bigger hole than arf.

Anyway i will try how this one will fit :)

Reactions: KJ2020

gekkehenkie

Renowned Member
21/7/14
Agree totally to ssouthall6
But have to say, when you are using for the 116500 build the follwing: Noob basewatch with real 4130 clone (working chrono) movement and mod it with these parts from ARF: dial 116500, ceramic bezel, bracelet + clasp you have a very nice good looking watch for approx. USD 1100,- (with labor and modding works)
When you reshape the case to get a much more GEN profile and look - you are nearly perfect.
With these moddings you only can tell by a 1:1 comparsion with a Gen the difference but not on the wrist (my personnell opinion)
I would say with this you are close to 90%

But I agree with also ssouthall6 - when you are using the listed GEN parts + ARF bracelet you are very very close to GEN and I would say = perfect :)

What do you mean with the arf bracelet? It doesnt fit the noob right? Because its a bit smaller so you will get a gap at the lugs? Or am i missing something?

ssouthall6

10/10/13
What do you mean with the arf bracelet? It doesnt fit the noob right? Because its a bit smaller so you will get a gap at the lugs? Or am i missing something?

Unfortunately we are talking Chinese machining with wide variations in tolerances. Some have reported a perfect fit, others have reported a gap.

grafixen

Horology Curious
18/6/18
Unfortunately we are talking Chinese machining with wide variations in tolerances. Some have reported a perfect fit, others have reported a gap.

I don't think this is about Chinese machining or anyone's machining. It's all about cost efficiency and mass production. Don't forget that 40% of your gen Swiss watch part is produced somewhere in China, so in that regard, I think there's good craftsmanship if the price is right. You want a Daytona at a fraction of a price, you'll have to cut corners, and material.

You need to look at the economics of things. You either sell 10 watches at 1000USD each or 1000 at 300USD each. And don't forget these watches are mainly destined to the Chinese market. The rest of the world just counts for a fraction of their sales. Different criteria of beauty, perfection and cost.

ssouthall6

10/10/13
I don't think this is about Chinese machining or anyone's machining. It's all about cost efficiency and mass production. Don't forget that 40% of your gen Swiss watch part is produced somewhere in China, so in that regard, I think there's good craftsmanship if the price is right. You want a Daytona at a fraction of a price, you'll have to cut corners, and material.

You need to look at the economics of things. You either sell 10 watches at 1000USD each or 1000 at 300USD each. And don't forget these watches are mainly destined to the Chinese market. The rest of the world just counts for a fraction of their sales. Different criteria of beauty, perfection and cost.

That was what I meant really, but it's 420am here in the UK and I couldn't be assed to type it :D

Reactions: grafixen

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
Yes, but a good watchmacker, specialized with Daytona, can adapt it.

Have not seen any good modd when the bracelet is too small.
Why does he needs to be specialized on Daytonas when he works on the bracelet?

Sent from my iPad with Tapatalk