• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob v9 just appeared

koppy

Supporter
Certified
14/11/17
thumbnail1.jpg

HAS17HA

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/11/17
I changed the spring bars to 1,78mm because it was 2,00mm spring bars installed.

Hi mate, I saw the photo after the modification and that small change made the watch look perfect. One small question, did you get any looseness in the SEL when you change the spring bars to a smaller size ?

dom1986

Renowned Member
20/1/15
I changed the spring bars to 1,78mm because it was 2,00mm spring bars installed.

Sorry for sounding ignorant, how does this improve sel fitment? I may do the same,

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeikoFan

10/5/18
United States
Hi mate, I saw the photo after the modification and that small change made the watch look perfect. One small question, did you get any looseness in the SEL when you change the spring bars to a smaller size ?

I know you were asking PamDomi and not me, but since I've played with it I can answer "yes" to that - if you just install 1.78 mm spring bars and do nothing else then your SELs will be loose and move around.

If you want your SELs to be tight and maintain the recessed position then you have to do something to fix the spring bar so it remains in the top portion of the hole in the SEL. Then the SEL will be tight and stay where you put it.

One way some folks do that is to epoxy the spring bar into the SEL, holding the spring bar at the top of the hole while the epoxy dries. I took that idea and modified it to be non-permanent by applying a shimming material to the 1.78 mm spring bar and then pressing it into the SEL in the correct orientation. You can read my write-up on that here.

Reactions: HAS17HA and PamDomi

SeikoFan

10/5/18
United States
Sorry for sounding ignorant, how does this improve sel fitment? I may do the same,

Thanks

The hole in the SEL is a little over 2mm in diameter (about 2.1mm) so if you use a 1.78mm diameter spring bar and bias it to the top of the hole in the SEL then the SEL can sit lower in the watch case.

I made a VERY rough model in CAD to demonstrate.

1.78mm_spring_bar_in_2.0mm_hole.png

But as you can see there is now a gap below the spring bar. If you don't fill that gap with something, or epoxy the spring bar in place, the SEL can move around, which will probably mar the watch and at a minimum will be kinda lame and wonky.

Reactions: PamDomi and pengo

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
30/3/09
Is it worth getting the 2836 version? Chazing says the SA3135 will take a while....

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13
is this a good v9

No from looking at these pics.s3l and lugs are not visable plus
only 2 tds have the real v9 and your pics are not from those tds so anyone buying from anywhere than the 2 tds your v9 will not be a v9 as far as I've seen

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13

Thanks

It will not improve it .it will make it worse.spring bars need to be 2mm using small bars will make the sel loose

Reactions: dom1986

SeikoFan

10/5/18
United States
It will not improve it .it will make it worse.spring bars need to be 2mm using small bars will make the sel loose

If you just put in undersize spring bars that's true, but if you shim or epoxy the spring bars it comes out great. Granted, it would be better if they just made the damn watches right, but apparently that's too much to ask. My V9 from Ryan/Intime did not have good SEL fitment but other than that I am very happy with it.

I fixed my SEL fitment and now I'm happy with that too - though I wish I hadn't had to monkey with it.

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
30/3/09
Nope not if you want it looking as gen as poss

Crown height does not bother me so much, is there anything else that is critical with the 2836 version? I have no idea when these TDs will have it available... they say "some time". Never heard back from Ryan at intime, does he have stock on the SA3135 black dial? Seeing lots on info on the LV but I am not interested in that one.

pengo

I'm Pretty Popular
11/7/15
Crown height does not bother me so much, is there anything else that is critical with the 2836 version? I have no idea when these TDs will have it available... they say "some time". Never heard back from Ryan at intime, does he have stock on the SA3135 black dial? Seeing lots on info on the LV but I am not interested in that one.

red = A2836
green = SA3135
JW9JPDn.jpg

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13
Is the SA3135 just in case someone takes the case back off or is there some way that the difference is visible "on the wrist"?

Sure I could spot a v9 2836 on your wrist pretty easy.the cg are Tottally diffent

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13
If you just put in undersize spring bars that's true, but if you shim or epoxy the spring bars it comes out great. Granted, it would be better if they just made the damn watches right, but apparently that's too much to ask. My V9 from Ryan/Intime did not have good SEL fitment but other than that I am very happy with it.

I fixed my SEL fitment and now I'm happy with that too - though I wish I hadn't had to monkey with it.

Lol your joking right?gluing the springbar is ridiculous . My bro Andrei did this a couple years ago

PamDomi

Renowned Member
15/12/16
I know you were asking PamDomi and not me, but since I've played with it I can answer "yes" to that - if you just install 1.78 mm spring bars and do nothing else then your SELs will be loose and move around.

If you want your SELs to be tight and maintain the recessed position then you have to do something to fix the spring bar so it remains in the top portion of the hole in the SEL. Then the SEL will be tight and stay where you put it.

One way some folks do that is to epoxy the spring bar into the SEL, holding the spring bar at the top of the hole while the epoxy dries. I took that idea and modified it to be non-permanent by applying a shimming material to the 1.78 mm spring bar and then pressing it into the SEL in the correct orientation. You can read my write-up on that here.

The same way that I used.

Reactions: pengo

dom1986

Renowned Member
20/1/15

Cheers,

Is the sel even that bad? Ha ha

I often think people become over obsessive with this.

dom1986

Renowned Member
20/1/15
The hole in the SEL is a little over 2mm in diameter (about 2.1mm) so if you use a 1.78mm diameter spring bar and bias it to the top of the hole in the SEL then the SEL can sit lower in the watch case.

I made a VERY rough model in CAD to demonstrate.

1.78mm_spring_bar_in_2.0mm_hole.png

But as you can see there is now a gap below the spring bar. If you don't fill that gap with something, or epoxy the spring bar in place, the SEL can move around, which will probably mar the watch and at a minimum will be kinda lame and wonky.

Thanks for the explanation mate