• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review of JF 16610 (no engraving). JF vs Gen vs TC

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
Thanks for nothing OP! I've not been able to log into RWI since the hack until just ten minutes ago. This is basically the first article I've read since then and it's already caused me to buy the bloody watch!!!!! If I buy a watch every time I read an article, I shall be homeless and penniless very soon! So thanks for nothing.

In all seriousness OP, lovely review, it's so helpful to see side by side pics with Gen in the same light. I do think you have to many subs however, so feel free to send me the TC or Gen. I'll PM my address. Cheers!

Reactions: Holla09

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
Good write-up. The engraving on these is a bit deep but looks much better than laser etching. I prefer a sterile case and my own engraving... ;)

Reactions: phdsjain

redsocks

9/1/13
Thanks for nothing OP! I've not been able to log into RWI since the hack until just ten minutes ago. This is basically the first article I've read since then and it's already caused me to buy the bloody watch!!!!! If I buy a watch every time I read an article, I shall be homeless and penniless very soon! So thanks for nothing.

In all seriousness OP, lovely review, it's so helpful to see side by side pics with Gen in the same light. I do think you have to many subs however, so feel free to send me the TC or Gen. I'll PM my address. Cheers!

this jf is really a bang for buck, you can't go wrong with a classic sub.. also i've already sold a couple of tc's.. missing them already considering how tough it is to get one these days

redsocks

9/1/13
Good write-up. The engraving on these is a bit deep but looks much better than laser etching. I prefer a sterile case and my own engraving... ;)

my exact sentiments about the engraving being abit deep, but it shouldnt be much of an issue since it can be sanded away. haha

SUK

Known Member
11/11/17
Hamburg
A really good review that really helps me to pull the trigger and go for a JF.
What about the crystal compare to gen? Would it be necessary to change it? Is it also raised like the gen?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
this jf is really a bang for buck, you can't go wrong with a classic sub..

Damn it!!!!! Now you've just made me order the LV on top of the LN I ordered the other day!!!!!

wm9z

25/2/12
Take you JF a step further give it the "JJS Experience"..

redsocks

9/1/13
A really good review that really helps me to pull the trigger and go for a JF.
What about the crystal compare to gen? Would it be necessary to change it? Is it also raised like the gen?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

damn i finally figured out how to post proper photos..

kQSVa8P.jpg

zKsq0hH.jpg

jf crystal height

UOMucNo.jpg

5LldivI.jpg

gen crystal height

yes the crystal is raised like gen. i guess it is not a change that has to be done right away like the datewheel.

Reactions: SUK

Phwtan

14/11/14
Fantastic write up. You've highlighted all of the things I look out for whenever I'm playing with a gen and comparing to my TC v7X.

what do you think of the polishing and shape of the lugs on the JF conspared to gen? I find the gen more curvy compared to my Tc

redsocks

9/1/13
Fantastic write up.  You've highlighted all of the things I look out for whenever I'm playing with a gen and comparing to my TC v7X.

what do you think of the polishing and shape of the lugs on the JF conspared to gen? I find the gen more curvy compared to my Tc

The polishing on the Jf isn’t as good as gen, it’s not as ‘white’, I don’t know if it’s the right word to describe it. But a couple of modders here have successfully rebrushed it.

I find that jf lugs are alright, but as it gradually move upwards it’s abit thicker than the gen, which is better than being slimmer because you have extra meat for reshaping.

Sent from the RWI App

Alexsuh

19/5/17
Thank you for all your efforts on this review. I read all from top to the bottom. But I will read again. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: redsocks

Keentje

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/7/13
Great review, thank you very much. I was waiting for this already for a while. I have just bought the gen DW for my JF LV. What else in your opinion is really needed to change, the insert or crystal? Or nothing else is really necessary? Thank you !

FarewellFire

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/10/17
Thanks for a great, great review. It's always interesting to get the side-by-side comparisons.

redsocks

9/1/13
Great review, thank you very much. I was waiting for this already for a while. I have just bought the gen DW for my JF LV. What else in your opinion is really needed to change, the insert or crystal? Or nothing else is really necessary? Thank you !

The insert is pretty good but the pearl on the insert isn’t filled enough? Perhaps you can change it to a gen ln insert or just swap the pearl over from a gen insert

Sent from the RWI App

DD60

Eagle Eyed Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
28/4/17
Excellent review! Thanks for the "to the point" comparisons. I still think that the TCV7LVX insert is just as you described to be more of the olive drab color which is much closer to my gen 50th anniv. LV insert color as described by the R factory propaganda back then as a "British racing green chosen specifically for the 50th anniversary celebration for submariner" I've always wondered what exactly a Brittish racing color had to do with a divers watch ? And you are correct about there are at least 2 separate shades of green on the R sub LV's. Honestly IMHO the TC V7LVX insert is as gen as I need, save the time consuming sourcing ventures to spend rediculous prices for an insert. As the years go by, each of these inserts take on various shades of the original color anyway.
Thanks again for a great review!

Reactions: redsocks