• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Genuine Rolex DSSD box vs Puretime Box (Loads of images and details)

DarthAlex

Renowned Member
22/8/10
Alabama
First off let me say how surprised I am at some of the differences in the details of these two boxes. I purchased the “Clone” Box from Puretime but at the time they were out of stock. Communication was great and they kept me updated and since I wasn’t in any hurry I was willing to wait for it to come back in. A few weeks later it was sent to me and arrive via EMS. Total cost with shipping: $85. My original intention in getting this box was to house my BK DSSD. During the wait I searched on eBay to find manuals for a DSSD as well as other items like tags, bezel protector, etc. I was shocked at what some people charge for a manual and as I added the cost of the items together, I quickly realized this was not going to be a cheap endeavor. So I called Rolex to get prices…wow what a reality check. Just the box, depending on which one is $279-$600 not including manuals etc. And of course you get the added bonus of having to visit your local AD and convince them to sell you one without producing the watch as proof of ownership.

It was about that time that I realized that Rolex was the Loch Ness Monster and that I might want to try another route to box glory.

I ran across an interesting post in the DSSD Club Thread. gioarmani7428 had posted the following: “Gen box-set from dream-watch (seller) at watchnet.com, gen bezel cover & books from eBay, gen user’s manual from Rolex themselves.”

Thanks gioarmani for the find! You rock.

Now that was more like it! Off to watch.net I went. Dream-watch has the box listed for $130 shipped (to the US) and that is a bargain boys and girls, considering everything you see below comes with it. I PayPal him the funds and less than a week later the postal gods deliver to me a lovely little gift. I was stunned at how much better the real deal is versus the clone. At a distance the clone box is a good copy, it looks and feels the part. But as you will see the quality of the craftsmanship of the Rolex box is on another level altogether. I guess it shouldn’t surprise me but one would think a box is easy enough to copy…at least I did.

pt7.jpg

The Puretime box also comes with a warranty card

[
warranty.jpg

The Box from Dream Watch, complete with DSSD manual, leather wallet, and other goodies.

rolex7.jpg

Both Boxes as shipped with outer cardboard slip case to protect the outer box.

boxes.jpg

Both outer boxes side by side; the first thing one notices is the color of the crown is darker on the clone. It is barely raised on the clone as well but the Rolex box has a nice raised 3D effect which is also tangible. I found myself stroking it like Dr. Evil strokes his cat. Muahahaha.

boxes2.jpg

pt2.jpg

Note the edges are cleaner on the Genuine Box.

rolex2.jpg

pt3.jpg

rolex3.jpg

This was interesting; the flap on the clone didn’t want to lay down flat when the lid was removed. The Gen Box was easy to open.

boxes3.jpg

The Flap on the Clone has “extra” material extending into the outer box, which may be why it will not lay down flat. The Rolex box is better trimmed with the pale green paper stopping right at the seam.

boxes4.jpg

pt4.jpg

The print on the flap is noticeably sharper on the Gen whereas the Clone box printing bleeds into the paper. I also noticed that the grain on the Gen is finer and notice the fine trimmed edge of the flap on the Gen. The paper is much closer to the edge on the Gen. It’s amazing how little details like this just give the Gen Box the appearance and feel of quality. Its subtle, but noticeable, especially with these two side by side.

rolex4.jpg

Size is exactly the same, but the color is a little “brighter” on the Puretime box.

boxes5.jpg

Note the level of finish work on the Clone…just not up to par with the Gen.

boxes6.jpg

This really stands out in person. Notice the beading is flat on the Puretime box and some of the detailing and shape present on the Rolex Box…this really jumped out at me when I opened both side by side. Also note that the surface grain is finer and smoother on teh Gen Box.

boxes7.jpg

Un-tucked corners on the Clone, but the Rolex box has perfectly tucked corners and great looking consistent beading.

boxes8.jpg

Edges are smoother on the Rolex box where the Clone shows obvious signs of the folded seams.

boxes9.jpg

The print on the underside of the box looks good on both. The Gen is flat and easier to see and read and has a bit thicker font. The Clone has embossed text that is harder to read and is a thinner font.

boxes10.jpg

When I opened both boxes I notice that the Clone box doesn’t open up as far as the genuine box. And here is the reason why, the “hinge” cutout on the Gen is larger allowing it to open farther. Both have a nice feel when opening but the Gen has a bit more snap to it when it opens (it probably has a little stronger spring).

boxes11.jpg

The “suede” on the clone is much coarser than that found on the Rolex box. And the finish is nowhere near as good.

pt5.jpg

The genuine box just oozes quality, with great seems, neat stitching, and crisp upholstery.

rolex5.jpg

boxes12.jpg

Someone tell the Chinese that shag carpeting is so seventies, please!!

pt6.jpg

rolex6.jpg

The details here really bring home the quality feel. There really is no comparison in the finish between these two boxes. I really can’t get over how well Rolex is at getting all the details right. I use to think some people were overly critical about tiny flaws in watches but the clone box really exemplifies why all those details are so important to get right. It all works together to give one an impression of something fine, like a symphony to your senses. One sour note can ruin a master piece, I suppose.

boxes13.jpg

Now this is surprisingly bad…glued gussets on the pillow??? And I know the horizontal seam isn’t usually seen but how hard is it to make it straight? The Rolex pillow is a work of art. The stitching is as good as gets.

boxes14.jpg

boxes15.jpg

The flap on the Clone will fold out and is just press fitted. The Rolex flap is glued to two inserts and is fixed. (See arrows)

boxes16.jpg

Note the smooth contoured lines on the Rolex box vs the Replica.

boxes17.jpg

The calendars are interesting. The Puretime calendar is actually current. The one that came with the Rolex box is from 06-07. The gold print on the replica is tilted a bit on the front, the Gen is straight. On the reverse side the crown is off center on the Rep and just a tad bit out on the Gen.

boxes18.jpg

The tags have a few differences, the holograms and the quality of gold printing. I think the Puretime one is an older style of tag…maybe someone can chime in on that.

tag1.jpg

Ever here about an oobe? Well when I first opened the Genuine box I was treated to the delightful surprise of the smell of real leather. Wow. I love the smell of new leather, and it made my out of box experience complete! It was also unexpected. That detail alone with the box makes it a must purchase in my book. Add in the value of the correct manuals and what more do you want?

wallet.jpg

So to sum up, I think if you are going to spend the cash to get a box for your Rolex replica then the Genuine box is definitely the way to go. Especially at this price ($130 Shipped). And when you factor in the correct manuals you are probably coming out ahead (and don’t forget the cost of the tag and other various items). And keep in mind you can always sell it on eBay if you sell your watch and will likely get your money back, and probably make a profit given the current prices of Gen boxes on eBay..

That said, the Puretime box isn’t a bad deal for the money. Most people have never seen a Rolex box and so they won’t know it isn’t real. But you still have to source all those other details and by the time you added it all up you will likely be paying more. So why not own the real deal? And if you are as anal as some of us then only the finest is going to make you happy, isn’t it?

I hope you find this info useful and thanks again to all those who steered me in the right direction.

DA

March 11, 2011 update (the Great Rolex Box Update)

allrolexboxes.jpg

As promised here is some more information on the different types of Rolex Boxes (2005 to Present). I believe there may be a new style box and I will post stuff about it when I can confirm it.

There are three Rolex box sizes with the wave design top. There may be other applications than those listed but I am only listing the ones I have confirmed. Feel free to chime in with your info and I will add it.

boxesthree.jpg

The smallest box has a model number of 39137.04 and measures 3 inches high x 6 inches wide x 4.5 inches deep.

The box is pictured below without the outer sleeve which usually has a sticker with the model number of the watch etc.

Watches that ships in this box are as follows:

16610 LV
116610 LN
116610 LV

rolexsmallbox1.jpg

Open with protective foam sheet and bezel protector.

rolexsmallbox2.jpg

Displayed with 16610 LV and manuals. The same books come with the 16610 LV. The warranty card holder is leather.

rolexsmallbox16610.jpg

Pictured with the books for a GMT II C; it came with Leather wallet and leather warranty card holder.

rolexsmallboxgmtiic.jpg

The large watch box (the one copied and sold by puretime and others) is model 31.00.04 and measures 3 inches high x 7 inches wide by 5 inches deep.

Watches that ship in this box:

116613 Can be found in both the small and large boxes
The Daytona, usually in stainless or two tone or gold with leather strap.
116518, 116519, 116520

rolexlargebox1.jpg

rolexlargebox2.jpg

Pictured with the sea dweller and sea dweller anchor and booklets; missing the sea dweller leather wallet and dive extension, Buhlmann tables and tool. These are usually sold on eBay for $100 or more depending on the date.
You will almost always have to source it individually as it is never sold along with a box (almost never).

rolexlargebox16600.jpg

Pictured below with Daytona Cosmograph booklets.
rolexlargeboxdaytona.jpg

Pictured Below with Deep Sea Sea-Dweller booklets.

rolexlargeboxdeepsea.jpg

The largest box, the jumbo box, is model 39141.02 and measures 3.5 inches high x 8 inches wide x 6 inches deep.

Watches that shipped with this box:

The Daytona 116528
The Deep Sea 116660

rolexjumbo1.jpg

rolexjumbo2.jpg

rolexjumbo3.jpg

rolexjumbo3914102.jpg

Pictured below with Daytona Booklets:

rolexjumbodaytona.jpg

Pictured below with Deep Sea Booklets:

rolexjumbodeepsea.jpg

Note: Sometimes the books will vary based on year or series number. The service manual has changed in later years, for example and has a gold color and reads “Factory Service” and has a picture of the spring on the cover. So just because you see a box with somewhat different paper work included does not indicate it is incorrect or a fake. There are at least four different pillow types too and three are represented here. This addition is meant to serve as a guide to help those interested in housing their Rolex in a box to have a reference on what type of box they will need and what booklets and accessories will complete the ensemble. Jeez man! I am starting to sound like a French fashion designer. I better stop here before I develop a lisp.

Reactions: GrandmasterChime

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Wow!
That's one hell of a box review, thanks for putting in the effort mate.

Col.

DarthAlex

Renowned Member
22/8/10
Alabama
Thanks Trailboss. It turned into an alnighter...but its all information I'd have loved to have 3 or 4 weeks ago. It's the least I could do...I've learned so much in the short time I have been on here.

Great forum.

HP4M

Looking Around
7/10/10
We'd really learned a lot for sure.
Keep on your great work...!!!
Awesome thread indeed.-

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Just been looking at his sales posts on watchnet.com.
Looks like you are going to cost me some money I don't yet have :)
Not a big box guy but there are a cpl of pieces I have that deserve a box.
Wonder if he has one for my gen Longines? There will shortly be a BK YM in my future that definitely will be deserving of a genuine home. Why the hell would you buy rep with these available at those prices?

Col.

Spirit

Rolex Connoisseur
25/8/06

Great review indeed =)
...Nothing feels like the GEN box, when compared to it. I´ve held the clone box in hands when I was also thinking about buying one, but when I saw it for the first time, I just gave up. Quality is really bad.

About the Tags and hologram printing...clone is shit.
...Something you didn´t commented or noticed, is that on the GEN tags, the hologram is printed like a stripe on the sides of the tag too. (where all the lettering is done, I mean)
...It has "ROLEX WATCH CO LTD. GENEVA-BIENNE" around the golden sticker, and the hologram is printed over the "ROL" from Rolex and the "G" from Geneva on the left, and over the "LTD." and the "E" from Bienne on the right side.

..and actually, the GEN tag that came with your boxset is the one with older style. the new tags have a different color on the string/rope.. it´s not "yellow" and green anymore. Now the new style GEN tags have the green and "cream" color, which is the same as the suede on the inside of the gen boxset you have (sort of a nuance between yellow and light green).

But anyway, enjoy the boxset and take alot of pics of your watches on it!! I just love boxsets and if I could, I´d haave one for each of my reps, but there´s no space for it here.. lol

Cheers and congrats!
Spirit.

DarthAlex

Renowned Member
22/8/10
Alabama
Obrigado Spirit! I have some other genuine tags I will go through and see if any are the new style...will post images if I have one.

firnatine

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
14/8/09
Amazing asia........superb review

[MOD EDIT] > Please do not quote a whole post with alot of images if you aren´t going to comment or ask anything specific about EACH and EVERY pic on the post.

Thanks,
Spirit.

Bronzy

I'm Pretty Popular
4/12/09
Honestly that was a great box review, who'd have thought!?

tonixxon

Horology Curious
1/9/10
Thanks for your great work!
This detailed review has been very helpful!

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09
necer seen a box review before- I don't really care much bout the boxes, but to be honest your review made me a bit more curious :)

xtremesash

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/9/10
take it from me... that is a wonderful post!

and i myself have scoured the net, looking for where i can get good rolex replica boxes. and i had not been impressed with the copies out there. well you have done it all, i will definitely be getting an original box now.
Thanks again!

coldwin

8/8/09
WOW!
Awesome review great effort!
I want to order a box but i think customs is going to be hard on this one :(