• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

"The "Wrapped" Gold Sub Guide"

shel504

Renowned Member
26/5/20
I've asked this a number of times of people without an answer. Some people seem to have issues in a very short time while others, have watches for years and they still look great. There's only a limited amount of variables, right? Specific factory quality, humidity, acidity, salt water, radiation, UV light.

I'm ordered a rose gold watch now and my wrists are small. I'm taking the spare links and putting them all in different conditions. One's going on my window sill, ones getting a salt water bath, ones getting a mild acid bath, another is getting sealed in a vaccum pack, and another is getting blasted by my xray machine periodically.

pip72

21/2/19
[h=3]I just bought this rep on puretime I have never bought an EWF rep before. Does anybody know how the quality of the gold plate is on these? I was going to buy a gold-wrapped but it was 1300.00 dollars and I didn't really see a difference in the videos.

DAY-DATE 36 YG 128238 EWF BEST EDITION WHITE DIAL ROMAN MARKERS ON PRESIDENT BRACELET A3255[/h]

corleone911

6/11/17
I've asked this a number of times of people without an answer. Some people seem to have issues in a very short time while others, have watches for years and they still look great. There's only a limited amount of variables, right? Specific factory quality, humidity, acidity, salt water, radiation, UV light.

I'm ordered a rose gold watch now and my wrists are small. I'm taking the spare links and putting them all in different conditions. One's going on my window sill, ones getting a salt water bath, ones getting a mild acid bath, another is getting sealed in a vaccum pack, and another is getting blasted by my xray machine periodically.

Very interesting. I'm curious please let us know the results

corleone911

6/11/17
[h=3]I just bought this rep on puretime I have never bought an EWF rep before. Does anybody know how the quality of the gold plate is on these? I was going to buy a gold-wrapped but it was 1300.00 dollars and I didn't really see a difference in the videos.

DAY-DATE 36 YG 128238 EWF BEST EDITION WHITE DIAL ROMAN MARKERS ON PRESIDENT BRACELET A3255[/h]

EWF is known for gold wrapped but I have never seen them in real only pictures.

Would be great if you could share some pictures when you have it in your hands

JanONrwi

Horology Curious
3/6/20
I would like to but DJ36 or 41 two toned. I'm not sure if I should pick GMF or different factory like NOOB maybe? What should I expect form the two tone bracelet (quick lose of color?) Whether the accuracy of these replicas is lower than in the cas of submariners? My budget up to 700$.

Last edited:

Agnostic

Known Member
17/12/19
VSF should have the 116613LB upcoming, and of course whoever will make the 2020 41mm subs (126613LB) so there's another upcoming release.

i‘m waiting and getting some of them.

Rockyrob

Looking Around
18/11/20
A very good day to you all! I wonder if I could kindly get some advice from the experts here. For as long as I can remember I have been trying to source a Rolex Submariner 116613 (bluey) with 904l steel and wrapped gold (to ensure longevity of the gold particularly on the bracelet and to have covered sides on the mid Links.... an obvious tell that the watch is a replica if they are not) I notice that a few factories like gmf and noob do a wrapped gold on 904l steel for rolex GMT 116713 ( https://www.trustytime02.cc/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5&products_id=20628) but not for submariner 116613. They either do 904l with gold plating ( https://www.trustytime02.cc/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7&products_id=18991) or wrapped gold on 316l steel ( https://www.trustytime02.cc/index.p...15386&zenid=cd8d5d6c792917f1b8f95a53dbc8fd11) They don't do both like they do on the GMT. I have asked a number of TD's why and requested they ask the factory to put the wrapped gold 904l strap on the watch instead of the plated one but they all say no. Does anyone know why this might be or know a TD who can find out as it seems insane to do this for a GMT but not a Submariner as it would clearly make for a far better rep. Why put wrapped gold on inferior 316l steel instead of the 904l but do a 904l option and just plate it, not covering the mid link sides?! Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Have a great day everyone!

Wolex

7/2/20
Great thread! Thanks everyone for your inputs on the various gold reps and process in making them!

Accord11

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
2/12/20
So far so good with my yellow gold plated and wrapped gold watch pieces.
VXjppo.jpg

VtXLCL.jpg

VtQCh8.jpg

Which factory is the calatrava? Is that 5196?

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
A very good day to you all! I wonder if I could kindly get some advice from the experts here. For as long as I can remember I have been trying to source a Rolex Submariner 116613 (bluey) with 904l steel and wrapped gold (to ensure longevity of the gold particularly on the bracelet and to have covered sides on the mid Links.... an obvious tell that the watch is a replica if they are not) I notice that a few factories like gmf and noob do a wrapped gold on 904l steel for rolex GMT 116713 ( https://www.trustytime02.cc/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5&products_id=20628) but not for submariner 116613. They either do 904l with gold plating ( https://www.trustytime02.cc/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7&products_id=18991) or wrapped gold on 316l steel ( https://www.trustytime02.cc/index.p...15386&zenid=cd8d5d6c792917f1b8f95a53dbc8fd11) They don't do both like they do on the GMT. I have asked a number of TD's why and requested they ask the factory to put the wrapped gold 904l strap on the watch instead of the plated one but they all say no. Does anyone know why this might be or know a TD who can find out as it seems insane to do this for a GMT but not a Submariner as it would clearly make for a far better rep. Why put wrapped gold on inferior 316l steel instead of the 904l but do a 904l option and just plate it, not covering the mid link sides?! Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Have a great day everyone!
I know this is older now and I'm here looking for info in this exact same thing.

VSF is now apparently wrasping 904L steel on their blusey. But it is an filled to order so it takes a while apparently. 20 days or so.

So does wrapped gold really last longer and wear better?

Is it worth the extra $250 for wrapped gold? And these questions are for anyone really. Not just the gentleman I quoted. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: xinmeo

ProGamer73061

Renowned Member
14/1/19
Germany
I know this is older now and I'm here looking for info in this exact same thing.

VSF is now apparently wrasping 904L steel on their blusey. But it is an filled to order so it takes a while apparently. 20 days or so.

So does wrapped gold really last longer and wear better?

Is it worth the extra $250 for wrapped gold? And these questions are for anyone really. Not just the gentleman I quoted. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I would like to order the 116613 LB in gold wrapped. Problem is That I dont know how good is the gold color, is it real gold and how are the color of the bezel, insert and dial.
Clean factory has a very good Version and the comparison between gen and rep is excellent. From vsf I don’t have any comparison to gen.....

so I will wait a Little before I pull the trigger for 760 dollar.

Reactions: xinmeo

PigIron

Patron
13/2/19
CONUS
I have had both plated and wrapped. Wrapped is definitely going to last longer and is more durable.Keep in mind that doesn’t mean the gold color will be correct. I’ve found vrf wrapped is almost orange. I had a noob v8 16613lb wrapped. The color of the gold was lighter than gen but looked like real 14 ct gold wear the ARF was not even close. If you go back in this thread you should find pics of a comparison between noob wrapped and ARF. The whole reason I got into this game was for a Blusey. 2 years and 4 different reps later. I just bought a gen 16613 lb. As of now there are no factories that can rep the blue dial correct or get the gold the correct color IMO. Let’s wait and see what vsf wrapped gold looks like. I hope this post helps someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk